Fulmer debate extravaganza (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary of debate:

Sane Discussions
Fulmerite: CPF is our coach and I'll support him and the team when they take the field.
Negavol: CPF hasn't won a championship in a decade so he needs to be replaced.

Insane Claptrap
Blind Fulmer Follower: CPF is great. I love him.
Blind Fulmer Basher: Fat joke. Fire Fulmer. Fat Joke.

Move on people, nothing more to add here.

My problem with Fulmer is that he is 14-12 in his last 26 games, and he has a marginal or losing record against the top 6 coaches in the SEC (Tubberville, Saban, Miles, Spurrier, Richt, and Meyer). Four of these six we play every year. Bottom line is an SEC championship in the next two years secures him and no championship or BCS appearance and he is on the hottest of seats.

Yet, UGA finished ranked #2 in the land.

By these rules of mediocrity, it seems all teams were mediocre last year.

Take LSU for example. LSU should be looked down upon since they lost to both UK and Arkansas (how aweful they must feel in Baton Rouge). If they could have kicked a field goal or blocked a PAT to win (since those points do count), they'd still be mediocre by these "NegaVol rules of mediocrity." Yet, they won the National Championship.

And again, what the Vols did in football was finish 12th and that's about the same as what the Vols did this year in basketball.

All things are relative.

My problem with Fulmer is that he is 14-12 in his last 26 games, and he has a marginal or losing record against the top 6 coaches in the SEC (Tubberville, Saban, Miles, Spurrier, Richt, and Meyer). Four of these six we play every year. Bottom line is an SEC championship in the next two years secures him and no championship or BCS appearance and he is on the hottest of seats.

How can you take a small sample of his overall record, then in the same paragraph use the historical records against peer coaches? Reverse it and it paints a different picture.

I don't care how you spin it, but it still doesn't justify the fact that we have 0 Sec Championships this decade.
Still two seasons left this decade. We should field our best team of this decade, this season. However, last time I was this excited about our team, on paper, was 2005. So, I will wait for the season with a certain amount of reservation.

I believe we will either win at least 11 games or win less than 8.

How can you take a small sample of his overall record, then in the same paragraph use the historical records against peer coaches? Reverse it and it paints a different picture.

Why does it matter? Two things about Fulmer, he hasn't had the boys playing great football, and he sucks against the top coaches. Two key indicators that he lost it.

If we have losses to Vandy and UCLA next year and Fulmer is not gone, I will not watch another UT football game until he is.

If he is replaced with ANY of the coaches mentioned in that article, I'll throw up.

Brady Hoke (Ball State), Brian Kelly (Cincinnati), Charlie Strong (Asst. Florida), Gary Patterson (TCU), Greg Schiano (Rutgers), Jon Gruden (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Todd Graham (Tulsa).

if you have a problem with Jon Gruden or Schiano then you dont follow football much. And Brian Kelly doesnt look too bad right now, just needs more time to prove himself.

please dont bring logic into this debate, it just muddies the water

if you have a problem with Jon Gruden or Schiano then you dont follow football much. And Brian Kelly doesnt look too bad right now, just needs more time to prove himself.

I agree. Only problem with Schiano, nobody can get him to leave Rutgers. He must really love that place!

I agree. Only problem with Schiano, nobody can get him to leave Rutgers. He must really love that place!

I think the day is coming sooner rather than later. He see that you can win there, but you cannot sustain it over the long haul

Perhaps Rutgers has a bargaining tool

450px-Ainsley2.jpg

If we have losses to Vandy and UCLA next year and Fulmer is not gone, I will not watch another UT football game until he is.

Frankly, I don't understand why some haven't given up already. Sometimes, it's really hard to see you guys suffer so much from your association with UT.

Yet, when the Vols do win the SEC, who'll be first in line to say they stood behind them even when times were tough? I bet I couldn't beat you guys to get in that line.

That's the definition of "fair weather fans." In the good ole days UT didn't have so many because we weren't as great as you guys seem to think we were. It wasn't until Fulmer that we won a NC (during my lifetime). He literally said he would take the Vols to the next level and he did. The level we fallen back to is about where we were. No one else since Neyland has been able to elevate us to the 'next level.'

And, I know, you only care about SEC Championships, but it sure felt great to win it all after so many years of watching other teams win the big trophy.

It would take no less than two losing seasons for Fulmer to be gone IMO. Too many supporters and too much money being generated by I'm not saying I agree but he kinda reminds me of Paterno.

Gruden would certainly be a great foil to Bama's Saban. Reading the assessment, I just don't see UTK going 6-6. 7-5 is possible if the DL doesn't hold and Claw's offense doesn't gel, but KY and Vandy are both going to be really bad this year and I do not think UCLA will be any good. I want a new hfc as much as anyone, but I just cannot see 6-6.

Still two seasons left this decade. We should field our best team of this decade, this season. However, last time I was this excited about our team, on paper, was 2005. So, I will wait for the season with a certain amount of reservation.

I believe we will either win at least 11 games or win less than 8.

This team won't be nearly as good as the 01 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back