FoxSports on blown call

No that's exactly what they said... I don't know how they came up with that at all.. It was clearly and INT... I guess they thought Vandy Caught it and TN pulled it away.. I don't know how the ref blew the whistle cause he thought he saw his knee down. If you didn't see something then don't call it.. He was looking from behind the vandy player.. He should of never been the person to blow the whistle anyways.

I thought so - I don't know how a ref can screw that one up so bad. I can understand thinking his knee was down, but to think it was a catch and fumble rather than an INT is beyond me. If his eyesight is that bad, he needs to find another job!

I think he is right to point out the lack of honesty by the crew; however, I think that the replay clearly shows that neither the Vandy nor the UT players stopped on the play and, therefore, I think the replay officials would have been justified in overruling the whistle as an "egregious error".

I think so, too.

I thought so - I don't know how a ref can screw that one up so bad. I can understand thinking his knee was down, but to think it was a catch and fumble rather than an INT is beyond me. If his eyesight is that bad, he needs to find another job!

A ref can screw up just like a receiver can drop a pass that is right in his hands or a QB can throw the ball to a lonely defensive back. Refs are human, the game is quick, and mistakes happen.

Honesty- we won that game
Dishonesty- Vanderbilt won that game.

I think this misses the issue. The refs cast doubt on a legit win by blowing a stupid whistle. The options they had after making their mistake were: (a) cover up their mistake with a lie and agree that Tennessee had just won the game; (b) use the "egregious error" rule (which might apply); or (c) admit they made a mistake and give Tennessee the ball and a chance to win the game again. In the moment, I just wanted the win. As I sit here today, I kind of wish they had given the Vols the ball. We'd have won it anyway, and then we could all be talking about how we beat Vandy twice in 2011, instead of speculating about whether the Vandy players really quit at the whistle.

I think this misses the issue. The refs cast doubt on a legit win by blowing a stupid whistle. The options they had after making their mistake were: (a) cover up their mistake with a lie and agree that Tennessee had just won the game; (b) use the "egregious error" rule (which might apply); or (c) admit they made a mistake and give Tennessee the ball and a chance to win the game again. In the moment, I just wanted the win. As I sit here today, I kind of wish they had given the Vols the ball. We'd have won it anyway, and then we could all be talking about how we beat Vandy twice in 2011, instead of speculating about whether the Vandy players really quit at the whistle.

Shukran Habibi.

It was a bizarre call.

When the officials were conferring you could see the head guy repeatedly asking the guy who blew it dead if he was sure that was what he saw. I guess none of the other ones had a good enough view to overrule him.

I don't give half a crap if the rules got bent. we won the game, and the rules were bent so the officials could make the right call. the refs were between a rock and a hard place. either tennessee was gonna win taht game, or the line judge that initially blew the call was going to lose his job.

It was a bizarre call.

When the officials were conferring you could see the head guy repeatedly asking the guy who blew it dead if he was sure that was what he saw. I guess none of the other ones had a good enough view to overrule him.

looking at the play over and over again, the ref that made the call had an obscured view of eric gordon's knees. I don't think he could ever confirm if the knee went down or not, and instinctively blew the whistle.

Reactions: 1 person
Two wrongs made a right,enough said! It wasn't like the jobbing we got at the MCB last year,which ended up bringing in a rule change! The right team won the game this time,but these SEC refs need to be slapped around. They f----- up the end of a great game. Go Vols!!!

It's logical. I'm sure they came to the game with a whistle handy for just such an event. LOL so let me get this straight, they want a wrong call to stand thinking it would have maybe given them a chance to win?? WRONG

GO VOLS:eek:k:

His knee wasn't down. At the end of the day the refs got it right, that's all that matters, IMO.

When he went to review, he said that the ruling on the field was that it was a fumble, a recovery, and that the knee was down.

Replay is there to fix egregious errors and saying that Gordon recovered a fumble while his knee was down couldn't have been more egregious. Screw Vandy and that Headslineman that graduated from there. The play was called right and ends justified the means.

Last edited:
Okay, I really hate to start another thread on this but the others have been strewn all over the place.

I read this on ESPN...

3. No one wants to see a game decided on a blown call, especially a game with bowl ramifications for Tennessee and Vanderbilt. SEC coordinator of officials Steve Shaw confirmed Saturday night that his crew blew the call that gave Tennessee a 27-21 victory over Vanderbilt in overtime. That ruling could be karmic payback for Derek Dooley and the Vols, whose last-play bowl loss to North Carolina last season resulted in an off-season rule change. All well and good but karma still owes Vandy a debt.

Alright.

We all heard the whistle being blown, which makes the play non-reviewable. I get why Vandy is mad at that as they should be. Unfortunately for the ref he was screwed either way and had to make a decision.

"No, I did not blow my whistle." Vandy ends up getting screwed.

"Yes, I blew my whistle." EG's knee did not touch the ground so we would have been the ones getting ripped.

Many people are refusing to look at both sides of this thing... someone had to get short handed unfortunately because of that ref and his blow happy mouth (no homo).

Okay, I really hate to start another thread on this but the others have been strewn all over the place.

I read this on ESPN...

Alright.

We all heard the whistle being blown, which makes the play non-reviewable. I get why Vandy is mad at that as they should be. Unfortunately for the ref he was screwed either way and had to make a decision.

"No, I did not blow my whistle." Vandy ends up getting screwed.

"Yes, I blew my whistle." EG's knee did not touch the ground so we would have been the ones getting ripped.

Many people are refusing to look at both sides of this thing... someone had to get short handed unfortunately because of that ref and his blow happy mouth (no homo).

My theory is:
On a blown call like this you (the ref) have made a big mistake. At this point you have to screw somebody.

If you screw the team that was the victim of the bad call (Tennessee), you have just legitimately screwed a team over.

If you screw the team that was the beneficiary of the bad call (Vandy), it kind of brings balance to the situation and the right thing happens.

Wrong call, right way to handle it.

The SEC needs to do a better job of instructing officials not to blow whistles when there is any doubt as to whether the player is down. You can always review it later. That ref could not have seen a knee on the ground with no doubts, because there was no knee on the ground.

In the end, blown calls are a part of the game. If the ref ruled him down, it should have remained that way. Although I'm happy about winning, feel like it's about time a call like this went our way, and would have been genuinely livid had they not allowed the pick-6 to stand, the appropriate thing to do would have been to keep the call on the field, not review the play, and force us to play our series in overtime. Would the call on the field have been correct? No, but I think it's better than the poor administration of the rules that occurred after it.

Maybe I'm wrong here and if so someone please tell me why they shouldn't... but if you are that ref with the game on the line and you see a play like that why blow the whistle?

If he doesn't blow his whistle they will review the play because it's a score correct? There is no way of a mess up that way. You blow the whistle on a judgment call and look what happens...

Learn to read the other 1000 posts instead of taking the lazy method of starting another thread on a worthless subject. That has been scrutinized to death.

MERGE THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better. Yet. Google it

Last edited:
After very little thought (it wasn't needed) I find it simply impossible to feel bad about something working out the way it was supposed to work. Unless some Vandy fans can produce some kind of evidence that Gordon's knee hit the ground (we all know it didn't) or that Vandy players quitting upon hearing a whistle would have altered the outcome of the return (another total whiff) then I've got no guilt whatsoever. Having replay exists for the exact purpose of trying to get things right. TN winning on a pick 6 was exactly, wholly and in all ways "right".

Time to worry about beating the 'Cats as Vandy's problems with the outcome of our game with them are, as I type this, being summarily forgotten.

i really dont think it matters. UT would have had the ball and more than likey scored. about time something went our way.

My theory is:
On a blown call like this you (the ref) have made a big mistake. At this point you have to screw somebody.

If you screw the team that was the victim of the bad call (Tennessee), you have just legitimately screwed a team over.

If you screw the team that was the beneficiary of the bad call (Vandy), it kind of brings balance to the situation and the right thing happens.

Wrong call, right way to handle it.
Ding ding, we have a winner!

The SEC needs to do a better job of instructing officials not to blow whistles when there is any doubt as to whether the player is down. You can always review it later. That ref could not have seen a knee on the ground with no doubts, because there was no knee on the ground.

Plus his view was blocked by the Vandy receiver. He literally made the call up...and that he called it a fumble (a fumble?!) proves it. I hate that the procedural aspect was a mess, but the right call was ultimately made in terms of what happened on the field. And that is where we want games decided.

VN Store

Back