FoxSports on blown call

They can't reverse anything. The ball was clearly ours, and we would have to be given our chance to score. No matter how you call it-- bad call or no bad call-- the end result would be the same: Gordon would have taken it all the way for six, untouched.

No doubt Pereira knows a lot about the rules but comments like this make him an idiot:

"I feel horrible for that officiating crew, but somebody had to step up — and nobody did."

How about the kids who potentially could have lost the game because of the bumbling officials who saw things that never occurred? In the end because of 2 officiating errors, the correct call was made and that's what's most important.

I keep looking on ESPN to see the anouncement that the NCAA has reviewed the play and reversed our win.

Please tell me that can't happen, I need to be able to sleep! :banghead2::banghead2::banghead2:

To my knowledge, the only sanctioned vacated wins, are a result of an NCAA rules violation reprimand. sleep well:hi:

I know right? People are literally complaining that a bad call wasn't allowed to stand. Blows my mind.

If the shoe was on the other foot there would be scores of people here complaining that the whistle was disregarded.

Would that blow your mind, too?

If players hear a whistle, they stop playing (unless it's a georgia player).

I just recently wrapped up my senior of football, and I learned the hard way not to stop on the whistle. I was playing on goalline at left nose guard and there was 30 seconds left and we were up 36-30 with them with the ball at the 1...they hand it off right up the middle.... I hit the fullback and stood him up for 3 seconds.. they blow the whistle, I then just move to the side to not get a late hit penalty and the FB falls in the endzone, the side judge signals touchdown, I and the other 10 players on the field go Irate, and the game is tied 36-36, fortunately we block the pat and win in OT, but case and point, after that, I never stopped until I knew the runner was down, regardless of the whistle. and If a guy is running like EG was there is no doubt I wouldn't have stopped on the whistle regardless of how long he blew it.

I just recently wrapped up my senior of football, and I learned the hard way not to stop on the whistle. I was playing on goalline at left nose guard and there was 30 seconds left and we were up 36-30 with them with the ball at the 1...they hand it off right up the middle.... I hit the fullback and stood him up for 3 seconds.. they blow the whistle, I then just move to the side to not get a late hit penalty and the FB falls in the endzone, the side judge signals touchdown, I and the other 10 players on the field go Irate, and the game is tied 36-36, fortunately we block the pat and win in OT, but case and point, after that, I never stopped until I knew the runner was down, regardless of the whistle. and If a guy is running like EG was there is no doubt I wouldn't have stopped on the whistle regardless of how long he blew it.

Tough lesson, Snake, but I'm glad it worked out in the end. :thumbsup:

I think he is right to point out the lack of honesty by the crew; however, I think that the replay clearly shows that neither the Vandy nor the UT players stopped on the play and, therefore, I think the replay officials would have been justified in overruling the whistle as an "egregious error".

I think he is right to point out the lack of honesty by the crew; however, I think that the replay clearly shows that neither the Vandy nor the UT players stopped on the play and, therefore, I think the replay officials would have been justified in overruling the whistle as an "egregious error".

I'm not sure an inadvertent whistle is covered by that.

Yea. I think if all of the vandy players quit chasing Gordon then they don't review it. In that case it would not have been fair, but that wasn't the case. Clearly all of the refs (except the line judge) and all of the players never considered the play to be dead.

I keep looking on ESPN to see the anouncement that the NCAA has reviewed the play and reversed our win.

Please tell me that can't happen, I need to be able to sleep! :banghead2::banghead2::banghead2:

IT CAN NOT HAPPEN> Read the rule book. NCAA.com

Tennessee Volunteers beat Vanderbilt Commodores in overtime, but referee call will be reviewed by SEC - College Football News | FOX Sports on MSN

Pereira's right. It is incumbent upon the SEC to discipline officials who fail to step forward when they make an obvious mistake. Fortunately, this one turned out right, but it very nearly didn't. No other employer would let this sort of malfeasance continue unabated.

I disagree, I do not think he's right.

He mentions in the article that the officials "gave it" to Tennessee. Umm, Mr. Pereira, you admitted that we should have had the touchdown, so how did they "give it" to us if we actually earned it?

I can't stand this guy. So what he knows how to read a rulebook, that doesn't mean he knows right from wrong. That video was over 3 minutes long, which is about 2 and a half minutes longer than it needed to be. "Officials supposedly ruled him down. Reviewed it when maybe it shouldn't have been, made the right call." That takes 10 seconds to say.

Move along people, nothing to see here, we won the game like we should have.

I disagree, I do not think he's right.

He mentions in the article that the officials "gave it" to Tennessee. Umm, Mr. Pereira, you admitted that we should have had the touchdown, so how did they "give it" to us if we actually earned it?

I can't stand this guy. So what he knows how to read a rulebook, that doesn't mean he knows right from wrong. That video was over 3 minutes long, which is about 2 and a half minutes longer than it needed to be. "Officials supposedly ruled him down. Reviewed it when maybe it shouldn't have been, made the right call." That takes 10 seconds to say.

Move along people, nothing to see here, we won the game like we should have.

Right: honesty
Wrong: dishonesty

JMO, but as I heard Troy Aikman say a year or two ago in an interview on Sirius/XM concerning replay and he was talking more about the NFL but I think it applies here, every obvious mistake no matter what should be overturnable by replay to include penalties in other words if they call interference and there was no contact the booth should step in and say you blew it and we aren't allowing an officiating mistake impact the game. The technology is there to eliminate most officiating mistakes fix it. But do worry they are not about to overturn a win but that doesn't mean they won't fire or fine a headlines an or side judge along the way.

Can somebody please explain to me the logic behind WHY the refs aren't able to review a play if the whistle has been blown? I'm sure there is a legitimate reason, I'm just not seeing it...
Maybe something like hockey where you have a delayed call (penalty) would work in a situation like this. It's most unfortunate for this to occur, we have had enough of these type plays.

The knee was down or it wasn't down. The Ref blew the whistle on an assumption witch should never happen. You either see the knee hit the ground or not. There is no " I think he was down".

The head ref got it right by allowing the review because he knew it was a clean TD.

Head linesman screwed up.

In the end, the right outcome happened, but it took breaking the rules to get to it.

Accually the head judge ask the lines judge if he had blown his whistle....he shook his head no I didnt...I think he must have been taking a quick glance at the video board.

Accually the head judge ask the lines judge if he had blown his whistle....he shook his head no I didnt...I think he must have been taking a quick glance at the video board.

Even if the linesman had fessed up to blowing the whistle, I bet the head judge would have said, "No, I don't think you did".

Saw this posted in another thread.. This may have been what was employed last night... I doubt it though, SEC refs as a whole don't strike me as being intelligent enough to know the rules this well...

http://www.americanfootball.ru/Sport/Rule/2011_football_rules.pdf

RULE 12 Instant Replay

SECTION 3 Reviewable Plays

Limitations on Reviewable Plays
ARTICLE 6. No other plays or officiating decisions are reviewable. However,
the replay official may correct egregious errors, including those involving the
game clock, whether or not a play is reviewable.
This excludes fouls that are
not specifically reviewable (Reviewable fouls: Rules 12-3-2-c and d, 12-3-4-b
and 12-3-5-a).

Wow, good find...and there should be a rule like that.

Am I dreaming this, or did I hear them make a call that it was a catch, then a fumble and a recovery by UT and that the play is being reviewed. I could have sworn that is what the ref said. However, it was loud as we were going crazy and maybe I misunderstood.

I dont see how everyone doesnt see this! Tennessee won on a legit play and the right call was made. We have two calls like this go against us last year and everyone says oh suck it up you lost. Finally a call goes our way and everyone says the opposite. Sounds like there are some closet Vandy fans on volnation.

EXACTLY! They admitted that they screwed up but also admitted that even if they would have called it right IT STILL WOULD OF BEEN A SCREW UP!!!! TN won fair and square.. You can't look back at that play and say "well.. Yeah TN got away with that one..." I see a pic 6 that won the game. I don't see the controversy here...

Am I dreaming this, or did I hear them make a call that it was a catch, then a fumble and a recovery by UT and that the play is being reviewed. I could have sworn that is what the ref said. However, it was loud as we were going crazy and maybe I misunderstood.

No that's exactly what they said... I don't know how they came up with that at all.. It was clearly and INT... I guess they thought Vandy Caught it and TN pulled it away.. I don't know how the ref blew the whistle cause he thought he saw his knee down. If you didn't see something then don't call it.. He was looking from behind the vandy player.. He should of never been the person to blow the whistle anyways.

VN Store

Back