Former Pearl Assistants struggling (split)

Maybe they should have thought about those ramifications when those recruits and their families showed up at the cookout. Speak up instead of being a "yes man". They were there. They saw what went on. They are as much to blame from the very beginning as Pearl. Speak up then and maybe two years later, you aren't left with the decision to lie to the NCAA or throw your boss to the wolves.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't think most assts would confront their boss and tell them that they shouldn't be doing something like that. However, Shay and Pearl had worked together for 10 years though so you would think they would have a pretty good rapport where Shay would've been comfortable telling him something he shouldn't be doing. Or they were all in it together and didn't think anything would come of it.

As Forbes said, it was all so stupid. Stupidity ruled the day and in the end UT gets screwed, the fans get screwed and Pearl and his assts get screwed.

Maybe they should have thought about those ramifications when those recruits and their families showed up at the cookout. Speak up instead of being a "yes man". They were there. They saw what went on. They are as much to blame from the very beginning as Pearl. Speak up then and maybe two years later, you aren't left with the decision to lie to the NCAA or throw your boss to the wolves.

All valid points. I don't think Shay's an innocent party. I just feel for him because I think he was probably under a lot of pressure to lie. But, you're right, he did bring it on himself. I just think it's a lowlife move by Pearl to provide them with no assistance and essentially never speak to them again. I can't help but feel sorry for Shay; not as much for Forbes.

Sounds like to me they didnt have a savings account.Sh&t happens.They knew the hammer was coming down and they should of been planning.They were all in the mess together.Its not Pearls place to give hand outs.He had bills to and a house payment.I hate for all involved but a man is only responsible for his own house.
If they had told the truth up front and Pearl fired them then they would of had the chance to be coaching Div1 this year and not high school or juco.

I don't think most assts would confront their boss and tell them that they shouldn't be doing something like that.

Agree, but if they are honest with themselves, they know they should have because its the right thing to do.

Agree, but if they are honest with themselves, they know they should have because its the right thing to do.

I agree, but that doesn't always work in the real world. I had numerous back and forth posts with people months ago about people lying in the workforce. People were on their moral high horse that it should never happen. It happens. All the time. People don't always know the reason why, but it's usually to cover someone's ass. Either their own or someone they've been told to cover.

As Forbes said, if he rats his boss out, he gets blackballed. He would've been fired and wouldn't have been given a show cause, but no one would've touched him or Shay because he ratted his boss out. They were in a no win situation.

Pure carelessness, arrogance and stupidity in the end in my opinion.

I agree, but that doesn't always work in the real world. I had numerous back and forth posts with people months ago about people lying in the workforce. People were on their moral high horse that it should never happen. It happens. All the time. People don't always know the reason why, but it's usually to cover someone's ass. Either their own or someone they've been told to cover.

As Forbes said, if he rats his boss out, he gets blackballed. He would've been fired and wouldn't have been given a show cause, but no one would've touched him or Shay because he ratted his boss out. They were in a no win situation.

Pure carelessness, arrogance and stupidity in the end in my opinion.

Yeah, I know what you're driving at, and I don't say any of this with 100% certainty that I would act within the moral right in the same situation. However, the right thing to do would have been to speak up at the point of committing the violation. I'm not saying that would have been the easy thing. It's much more in our nature to tow the company line, even when we witness unethical behavior in hopes of garnering favor of our superiors. Just because it is unlikely and unpopular for the assistants to have spoken up, it was still the right think to do in that case for their own conscience. The fact that they did not puts them at fault as much as anyone else.

We are saying the same thing I guess. I'm just pointing out that life is full of moral crossroads, and just because it is easy to turn a blind eye doesn't mean it is the right thing to do, and the consequences in the case of these assistants cost them dearly, but justly.

that story just made me really sad :no:

the thing that bother me most is how forbes/shay, can't remember which one but they said pearl hasn't contacted them or anything since the meeting with the ncaa. that just seems shady.

Going from $150,000 to $20,000 is a huge, huge hit. Also, considering his wife is a teacher, the Shays are barely scraping by. I don't blame them at all for hating Pearl.

I blame them for making poor decisions. They want to escape responsibility by putting it all on Pearl, but they had a part to play in this as well. Hell, all the years they spent with Pearl, they had to have some idea of his character. They chose the road they took, now they're facing the consequences. They have jobs. Boohoo, their wives had to go back to work. Welcome to reality for many Americans.

And LV, you are taking this to another level. I understand your dislike for Pearl based on his actions at UT, but to now claim he's scum because he "threw his assistants under the bus" is ludicrous. In the other thread, you even point out a source saying Pearl lied to cover his assistants. Show me proof that they tried to talk Pearl out of committing violations and I'll be able to see your arguement, but for all we know, they could have encouraged it. They broke the rules and got caught. Now they're crying about it and making excuses and talking about how Pearl has it so much better. Bruce kept them gainfully employed for quite some time. If they couldn't manage their finances intelligently, that's on them.

I am by no means a Pearl supporter. I hate the disgrace he brought to UT. But let's blame him for the things HE did, and not the decisions his assistants made. They disgraced UT as well and they did it just as knowingly. They had opportunities over the years to seek out other employment, but somehow they didn't, so they must have been okay with what was going on.

I blame them for making poor decisions. They want to escape responsibility by putting it all on Pearl, but they had a part to play in this as well. Hell, all the years they spent with Pearl, they had to have some idea of his character. They chose the road they took, now they're facing the consequences. They have jobs. Boohoo, their wives had to go back to work. Welcome to reality for many Americans.

And LV, you are taking this to another level. I understand your dislike for Pearl based on his actions at UT, but to now claim he's scum because he "threw his assistants under the bus" is ludicrous. In the other thread, you even point out a source saying Pearl lied to cover his assistants. Show me proof that they tried to talk Pearl out of committing violations and I'll be able to see your arguement, but for all we know, they could have encouraged it. They broke the rules and got caught. Now they're crying about it and making excuses and talking about how Pearl has it so much better. Bruce kept them gainfully employed for quite some time. If they couldn't manage their finances intelligently, that's on them.

I am by no means a Pearl supporter. I hate the disgrace he brought to UT. But let's blame him for the things HE did, and not the decisions his assistants made. They disgraced UT as well and they did it just as knowingly. They had opportunities over the years to seek out other employment, but somehow they didn't, so they must have been okay with what was going on.

^This

And that goes to show you how ethical Pearl really is. Nothing that I learned about the details of the situation have changed my opinion that Pearl is slime; and, if anyone had lingering doubts to his being slime, that article should answer them.

LV you posted this in one of your threads
As an outspoken critic of Pearl, I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong on my assumptions of what went down. I feel somewhat sorry for Pearl because of the position he was put in, but the moral of the story is: don't lie to the NCAA.

In your thread you went from somewhat feeling sorry for Pearl to this thread of bashing him like you normally do.you cant have it both ways.Your bashing him because he didnt hand money out to his asst. coaches and thats not his place to keep them up.They are just as guilty as Pearl is and Pearl owes them nothing.If Shay has a degree then he needs to put it use so he can make more than 20k a year.

Possibly help them a little bit financially instead of going on 6 vacations? Just a thought.

Do business owners or CEO's take care of employees that have been fired. For that matter do you expect friends or neighbors to make your house payments when
you act financially irresponsible. It is not etched in stone that you have to spend every dollar that you make. We all see where you are coming from and please
return to Sherwood Forrest.

As an outspoken critic of Pearl, I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong on my assumptions of what went down. I feel somewhat sorry for Pearl because of the position he was put in, but the moral of the story is: don't lie to the NCAA.

In your thread you went from somewhat feeling sorry for Pearl to this thread of bashing him like you normally do.you cant have it both ways.Your bashing him because he didnt hand money out to his asst. coaches and thats not his place to keep them up.They are just as guilty as Pearl is and Pearl owes them nothing.If Shay has a degree then he needs to put it use so he can make more than 20k a year.

It is lawfulvol after all. What do you expect? Thinks he is Elmer Gantry. And he apparently believes we should all share in others money. Sound like someone else?

Some of those assistants learned a valuable lesson. You hang with dogs, you get fleas.

Consider the source: Gary Parrish is a Calipari sycophant who gets his rocks off by bashing Bruce Pearl. Zieg Heil, Gary!

Reactions: 1 person
I'm so confused as to why these people feel like Bruce owes them anything. Let's see here because of him they got to make 200k and 150k a year for what..7 years? Because of him they got to work at a great university. This is life. If you and your friend who happens to be the CEO of a company get fired because of a mistake that happened on your watch do you go and say he's no longer your friend because now he wont give you money? Or as they call it "help us".

Is it hard to watch someone go on 5 vacations while you work for 60k a year? Not really most people do it everyday. What are these people crying about? 200k a year and 150k a year....are you kidding me? They probably just lived outside their means and now they find it hard to adapt to making less than a third of that. That's life. When things get tough you don't ask for handouts. You strap up your boots and go to work.

Nobody owes them anything. Bruce worked hard to get to where he is at and to be able to provide for his family...why should he have to GIVE money to them? How many of you ,who are on here criticizing him, give money to your friends that don't make as much as you do? I believe we all know the answer.

And the quote about him lying to the NCAA about the picture to save Bruce's butt....ummm weren't they saving their own butts too? If they lie about the picture they too get to keep their job and an income that's greater than what more that 90% of America makes.

Like I said when the going gets tough you strap up your boots and you go to work...and that's exactly what I'm doing right now just like Bruce did for us. And I also put my needs ahead of my "friends"(which these guys claim to be). Consider me unethical.

I was thinking the same thing. I finally saw LawVol post something reasonable about Pearl yesterday morning and now he has jumped back on the "Pearl is Satan" train.

And I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but can you seriously tell me that if you went from making $2 million/year to working as a figurehead VP of a wholesaler, you would take care of everyone who is collateral damage? I'm not supporting his inaction, but if he gave them $60k, they'd be upset that he didn't give them $80k. I feel bad for Shay making only $20k, but he's the one who chose to work there for that salary. It's easy to complain that someone else doesn't give away more of their money.

Assistants had their chance to speak the truth. I get the whole "blackballed" thing, but I'm not sure that principle would have applied to anyone working with Pearl (If his street cred around the country of coaches is what it appears to be).

If they would have all told the truth from the beginning, this would have been nothing.

Feel sorry they had to take such a drop, but if you're banking $200k a year (for 5-7 years!) and have nothing of value to show for it except a mortgage payment, I don't feel sorry for you, that's just ignorant. Don't start crying to me about it.

Also, I don't give a damn what bullcrap Parrish tries to spew at Pearl and UT. He doesn't give a damn about those ex-assistants, he just hates UT.

I'm sorry but if you were making $200k for a number of years, got knocked down to $60k (add in the wife's salary too) and struggle to make it then you're a moron. I have no sympathy

even if you're making $150k did you not save any? Did you not see the possibility of the gravy train overturning? Again, I don't feel bad for people who are bad with money. You were on a college campus all day, every day so go take a class if you need it

I'm sorry but if you were making $200k for a number of years, got knocked down to $60k (add in the wife's salary too) and struggle to make it then you're a moron. I have no sympathy

even if you're making $150k did you not save any? Did you not see the possibility of the gravy train overturning? Again, I don't feel bad for people who are bad with money. You were on a college campus all day, every day so go take a class if you need it

I agree. It's unfortunate what happened, but it's life. They need to deal with it and quit complaining. There are a lot of people in worse off situations than they are.

Reactions: 2 people
Is Bruce Pearl supposed to be paying these guys or something? Don't understand the outrage.

Doesn't even make sense.

And to think there is a Orange Tea Party base hoping Coach Martin fails in 3 yrs so that Pearl can be rehired back at UT. Amazing. If Coach Martin is not successful going in reverse should never be an option. Pearls time at UT was historical with a SAD ending.

VN Store

Back