Forget Adoree. I'd rather add Sawyers

We already have Adoree on the future recruits and on the roster, they just need a year or 2 to develop to his level...he was only a quick fix, but Sawyers is a 4 year kid that add DL man for the future

We already have Adoree on the future recruits and on the roster, they just need a year or 2 to develop to his level...he was only a quick fix, but Sawyers is a 4 year kid that add DL man for the future

You do realize Adoree is a 4 year kid too?

In the SEC, games are won and lost on the line of scrimmage, period. To be the best in this league you must stockpile all the elite talent you can get on your OL and DL. That is why, despite Adoree being a phenomenal talent, in the grand scheme of our rebuilding we will be better off getting Sawyers instead. Now reel him in Butch and let's call it a day on the excellent 2014 class.

I disagree. To win in the SEC you have to be good everywhere! D-Line is definitely important but having elite athletes in the defensive backfield is just as important. AJ is an elite impact player and would have been a day one starter for us. Sawyers has the potential to be a great D-Lineman but he would probably see very little action in his freshmen year, possibly even redshirt.

I agree with OP that D-line is more important, especially in the sec. A strong d-line makes average corners look amazing. Dont get me wrong, I'd love adoree (seriously doubt we're going to get him), but would you seriously take him over an equally rated D-lineman?

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with OP that D-line is more important, especially in the sec. A strong d-line makes average corners look amazing. Dont get me wrong, I'd love adoree (seriously doubt we're going to get him), but would you seriously take him over an equally rated D-lineman?

If you think Sawyers and Jackson are equally rated you're insane! Look beyond the 4* ranking. Jackson is the #1 rated CB in the country! The #7 rated player in the country! Sawyers is rated as the #28 D Lineman in the country, the #369 player in the country, and the #8 player in the state of Tennessee.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have Sawyers on the team but to win championships you have to get players like Jackson.

Last edited:
In the SEC, games are won and lost on the line of scrimmage, period. To be the best in this league you must stockpile all the elite talent you can get on your OL and DL. That is why, despite Adoree being a phenomenal talent, in the grand scheme of our rebuilding we will be better off getting Sawyers instead. Now reel him in Butch and let's call it a day on the excellent 2014 class.

I agree D Lineman are more important! However don't sleep on the fact the A Jackson has us off his top 5. I think he might be pulling the old oaky doak! The one eliminated is who he is going with! CBJ may have had him play the hide the Ace under the leg trick!

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

Our lack of pass rush has put even more pressure on our DB's as of late. Even though we need elite athletes at all positions....we need to develop pass rushers from our D-Line...so I guess I see kind of what the OP is trying to say...but saying he didn't want that kid is NUCKING FUTS!

Our lack of pass rush has put even more pressure on our DB's as of late. Even though we need elite athletes at all positions....we need to develop pass rushers from our D-Line...so I guess I see kind of what the OP is trying to say...but saying he didn't want that kid is NUCKING FUTS!

Of course he wanted this kid...why would he spend TONS of money recruiting him....BUT...I agree with your assessment...if the question is..."Does the front 7 effect the game more than the back four?"....Anyone who knows defense knows WITHOUT A DOUBT...the front 7 and mainly the front 4 (depending of course on the defensive scheme you employ) has double the effect on the outcome of effective defense....THATS THE MAIN REASON WE HAVE STRUGGLED ON DEFENSE SINCE WE WHEN WE WERE LOADING UP ON NFL CALIBER DEFENSIVE LINEMAN....I think most understand that...now its great to have hip swiveling, 4.4 in the forty, 6-1" tall secondary guys...but even they are less effective by a huge margin without a dominating D line...Ok...I'm done...

Originally Posted by volballs1:

Clearly I was not saying that AJ and Sawyers were equally rated. There are people on here thinking AJ is god's gift to cornerbacks and he has yet to choose a team much less step on the field. My point was a strong d-line makes every other position on d look much better and I'll take a strong line to a strong secondary every day of the week.

So all of the elite DB's LSu and Bama have had has had nothing to do with their success?

Yes and No, depends on what you mean by elite. IMHO Most of the guys LSU has were not 5-star DBs (Peterson and White, Chad Jones came in without a position as well). Many of them were players other teams did not even want... Mathieu, Claiborne, and Simon. Simon really didn't even have a position coming in. Claiborne was like the 80th WR for that year.

Yes, you need guys that have the physical tools, but to me 5-star ranking does not guarantee anything. Proper evaluation of skills and attributes, willingness and time to develop, the players ability to improve, and you know what you need some luck in there.

LSU's best corner guy next year will be Scout's rated 3-star Rashard Robinson, I am not saying White (4/5star) did not play good this year, because he did, but Robinson will be better long-term.

There is a lot more too it than just getting some guy rated as a 5-star. IMHO Stars glitter, players play.

I disagree. To win in the SEC you have to be good everywhere! D-Line is definitely important but having elite athletes in the defensive backfield is just as important. AJ is an elite impact player and would have been a day one starter for us. Sawyers has the potential to be a great D-Lineman but he would probably see very little action in his freshmen year, possibly even redshirt.

Get out of my head!

I didn't say that I didn't want Adoree. I didn't say that at all. What I did say is that I'd rather have a highly rated DT like Sawyers than a DB like Adoree if there is a choice between the two. I think that is more important for our rebuilding because you win and lose in the SEC on the LINE OF SCRIMMAGE first and foremost.

If we could get a kid like Adoree, I would surely be thrilled, but I'll be even more thrilled if we get a stud 4-star DT like Sawyers who is even from Tennessee.

If you think Sawyers and Jackson are equally rated you're insane! Look beyond the 4* ranking. Jackson is the #1 rated CB in the country! The #7 rated player in the country! Sawyers is rated as the #28 D Lineman in the country, the #369 player in the country, and the #8 player in the state of Tennessee.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have Sawyers on the team but to win championships you have to get players like Jackson.

Eric Fisher - Yahoo! Sports

Is it sad that when someone doesn't pick us I unfollow them like yeah that'll teach u!!!

Look I am one of those Twitter followers that will un-follow a recruit that doesn't pick us, but I tell them Im All Vols so I am going to un-follow you...I don't waste my time following a recruit aka player that is not on our team...its just me...but its far from Na nana bo bo I teach you.....you can follow them its just not my thing. :eek:lol:

Lol, the sad thing is that WBIR actually had a small segment in the local news titled Vols lose Recruit in reference to AJ.

Right, No one is a recruit until he is signed. Until then he is only a commit.

recruit (rɪˈkruːt)
vb
1. (Military)
a. to enlist (men) for military service
b. to raise or strengthen (an army, navy, etc) by enlistment
2. (tr) to enroll or obtain (members, support, etc)
3. to furnish or be furnished with a fresh supply; renew
4. to recover (health, strength, spirits, etc)
n
5. (Military) a newly joined member of a military service
6. any new member or supporter

Come on are you guys really gonna be like the fan bases at other schools that we make fun of, when they act like they didn't want a player they have been clamoring for, for the last 6 months?? Jackson is on a different level than Sawyers. Sawyers is good, but I am not convinced he is the "elite" talent everyone thinks he is, may be, I don't really know, but I get the impression he is a little lazy.

With Adoree and Sutton as shut down corners, our safeties have more leeway to interdict run plays and creat blitz mismatches to sack/pressure opposing QBs.

Of course a great DL reduces the CBs time on orbit which in turn makes them more effective too.

Our team defensive speed issues last year were most prevalent at LB and Secondary. We have recruited a great NB, safeties, LBs (plus Maggitt's return) and DEs. We just need that other shut-down CB.

We need a top shelf CB, DT and OL to really make this the best UT recruiting class ever!

A top QB...especially a duel-threat wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:
Wow how quickly things change. Everybody was talkin about how badly we needed AJ. I also heard people say that we didn't need sawyers because we got Robertson. Now all of a sudden its no big deal, we don't need him and I would rather have this guy or that guy over AJ.

We lost a true stud people, its a fact. I hate it and it sucks but its a fact. No reason to sugar coat it or make stupid hindsight comments. Just call it for what it is; a huge letdown.

We were never in his top 4, so no damn letdown here go get a good one if you are let down think about this one second this time last years class.:dance2:

VN Store

Back