For Those Who Are Questioning Barnes Recruiting?

Thunder, I will be honest with u, I 4got about Fulk. I agree with u, Fulk and Grant will both start and get a lot of minutes. But, I am not sold on Alexander, Walker may end up getting most of Alexander's minutes and be the guy coming in, when Fulk and Grant need a rest. Yes, I am going on high school and AAU highlights, but I trust Barnes as a talent evaluator. No matter who starts, I still believe Walker gets, at least 20 minutes a game.

I agree on Walker.
If they can knock off about 30 pounds of baby fat like they did with Williams last season and get him back to his playing weight, I could see him being very effective.

Exactly and right now Pons is not as good. I didn't imply that Robert was a 3 point gunner.

I don't think that statement can be made in either direction at the moment, he recently went 4/5 in a game from deep and has known for awhile his perimeter shooting needed work...simply put I think Pons could go at least 4/26 next year for the Vols.

I don't think that statement can be made in either direction at the moment, he recently went 4/5 in a game from deep and has known for awhile his perimeter shooting needed work...simply put I think Pons could go at least 4/26 next year for the Vols.

YAY!!!!
That would be fantastic! (blued, just in case)

And will still struggle to make the NCAAT.

I know it's old news but he had THREE future NBA players here and struggled A BUNCH and made one of the weakest sweet 16's in recent history. Love and respect him as a person but he's still learning how to coach IMO....

I know it's old news but he had THREE future NBA players here and struggled A BUNCH and made one of the weakest sweet 16's in recent history. Love and respect him as a person but he's still learning how to coach IMO....
3 NBA players? McRae and Stokes haven't managed more than 100 minutes combined in the NBA. We also had no PG or a true post presence defensively. That point is over exaggerated.

Reactions: 1 person
3 NBA players? McRae and Stokes haven't managed more than 100 minutes combined in the NBA. We also had no PG or a true post presence defensively. That point is over exaggerated.

Right. And if you count J Rich as a NBA player then Tyndall had a NBA player and a first team All SEC player in Punter and couldn't even make the NIT.

The truth is he had two D league players and another who developed into a NBA player and was just coming into his own in large part due to CCM. No one over 6'8 either. Then had our second best finish in UT history with a team unranked preseason. Pearl had way more talented teams get put out way earlier.

The question mark at the end of the thread title has pissed me off since the day it was created

Let me ask you an important question. Bruce Pearl brought talent in while he was here at Tennessee. There's plenty of UT fans who would trade Barnes for Pearl in a heartbeat. I will give him credit for bringing in energy and excitment to this program but let me get to the point. Barnes isn't recruiting on the same level as Pearl right now but how is it that Pearl has yet to make the NCAA Tournament and loses to Barnes with more talent? We talk about Barnes vs Pearl all the time, it's basically a war. I've been very critical of Barnes at times, we all have at some point but he's done a good job scouting players that fit his system. Williams, Fulkerson, Bone, Phillips, Turner are all young players but talented.

I honestly believe we make the NCAA Tournament this year because all the pieces are there. Recruiting 4* and 5* talent isn't very important if you can't catch coach or develop them. Pearl is struggling with that right now at Auburn. So would you rather have a coach who can't win with top notch talent or would you rather have a good X's & O's coach who can develop players in Barnes?

There's no "questioning" his recruiting... it flat out sucks. We are 12th out of 14 schools in the SEC in recruiting for 2017.

Forget the Barns vs Pearl talk... We have Barns, and the guy can't recruit for nothing. Fortunately he does seem to get the most out of his guys otherwise he'd be fired by now.

Reactions: 3 people
There's no "questioning" his recruiting... it flat out sucks. We are 12th out of 14 schools in the SEC in recruiting for 2017.

Forget the Barns vs Pearl talk... We have Barns, and the guy can't recruit for nothing. Fortunately he does seem to get the most out of his guys otherwise he'd be fired by now.

Fired by now? Two years in? Being the 3rd coach in 3 years?

F*** rankings. Rankings say pass on guys like Grant Williams and Fulkerson. I'm glad our coach knows how to scout actual talent and isn't a star gazer like most of our fans.

Reactions: 3 people
More concerned about how the Vol guards played. All of them seemed to regress. Two straight years of fading the last month of the regular season isn't helping either

😂 your obviously a smart cookie who follows basketball

More concerned about how the Vol guards played. All of them seemed to regress. Two straight years of fading the last month of the regular season isn't helping either

Punter sure has hell didn't regress under Barnes, maybe it was a youth thing?

Punter sure has hell didn't regress under Barnes, maybe it was a youth thing?

Hopefully. For UT to have a solid season , including a tournament appearance, Bone, Turner, Phillips and Bowden need to show improvement.

Each had good games. Consistency from all, or at least 3 of them will be the difference

IMO

Hopefully. For UT to have a solid season , including a tournament appearance, Bone, Turner, Phillips and Bowden need to show improvement.

Each had good games. Consistency from all, or at least 3 of them will be the difference

IMO

No doubt, playing a full 40 consistently will be an automatic upgrade...hopefully they learned that lesson last season.

Stopped reading at "Barns".

Reactions: 2 people
Lew Evans said on the Sports Source show last Sunday that CRB is never in his office and that he keeps a desk and chair in the gym so that he can work with the players.

Lew Evans said on the Sports Source show last Sunday that CRB is never in his office and that he keeps a desk and chair in the gym so that he can work with the players.

Obviously a lay-z-boy and TV tray while he watches reruns of MASH and Judge Judy.

Let me ask you an important question. Bruce Pearl brought talent in while he was here at Tennessee. There's plenty of UT fans who would trade Barnes for Pearl in a heartbeat. I will give him credit for bringing in energy and excitment to this program but let me get to the point. Barnes isn't recruiting on the same level as Pearl right now but how is it that Pearl has yet to make the NCAA Tournament and loses to Barnes with more talent? We talk about Barnes vs Pearl all the time, it's basically a war. I've been very critical of Barnes at times, we all have at some point but he's done a good job scouting players that fit his system. Williams, Fulkerson, Bone, Phillips, Turner are all young players but talented.

I honestly believe we make the NCAA Tournament this year because all the pieces are there. Recruiting 4* and 5* talent isn't very important if you can't catch coach or develop them. Pearl is struggling with that right now at Auburn. So would you rather have a coach who can't win with top notch talent or would you rather have a good X's & O's coach who can develop players in Barnes?

Why bring up Pearl at all? Because a bunch of idiot fans are nostalgic about his time here?

I liked Bruce as much as anyone, but he screwed himself. He got caught making a really minor infraction because the NCAA was down here figuring out the Kiffin mess. But he got caught lying about it and even after being disciplined, he got caught pulling more shenanigans.

Listen, man, I know it is fun to "what if" about him, but some of us think about the "what if" he had not lied and see where the Vols could have been, and the fact stupidity robbed us remains painful. Get over it, please. Compare Barnes to Marshall, Shaka, or whoever. Leave Pearl outta it.

VN Store

Back