For Those Who Are Questioning Barnes Recruiting?

Barnes and his staff are the worst recruiters in the SEC. Meanwhile Cuonzo is about to reel in a top 5 class in just a few weeks at Mizzou. Hopefully we'll only have to suffer through one more season before Currie lets this retread go.

And will still struggle to make the NCAAT.

If Counzo pulls 5-star SF Knox and 5 Star center Tilmon i think they will make the tourney with ease imo

He will somehow have some inexplicable OOC losses. It's been the theme since he took over at UT.

I have been on record that he is a good man, but his offensive coaching is just not good.

He will somehow have some inexplicable OOC losses. It's been the theme since he took over at UT.

I have been on record that he is a good man, but his offensive coaching is just not good.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.rock...-basketball-cornell-mann-offense-fred-hoiberg

It’s a big reason Martin, who was hired March 15 as the 19th full-time men’s basketball coach in Tigers’ history, tapped former UMKC assistant coach Chris Hollender and former Oakland assistant Cornell Mann for his new staff.

Both have sterling reputations for offense.

“Those guys’ job is to specifically focus on (offensive) things, because when I get focused on the defensive side those things slip,” Martin said. “I want to have those guys lock in on it.”

Martin is improving as a coach.

I honestly think if he ends up making it long term anywhere it will be in large part because he was smart enough to move around in order to remain a head coach long enough to get the seasoning needed to be a consistently good head basketball coach.

If he had stayed at Tennessee he would have been fired by now IMO. If he remained at Cal I think it would have ended badly for him as well. He left it worse than he found it.

But he is gonna start out hot at Missouri. If he can capitalize on it, he could parlay the success into some great recruiting hauls down the road. That's a big IF though.

Last edited:
Martin is improving as a coach.

I honestly think if he ends up making it long term anywhere it will be in large part because he was smart enough to move around in order to remain a head coach long enough to get the seasoning needed to be a consistently good head basketball coach.

If he had stayed at Tennessee he would have been fired by now IMO. If he remained at Cal I think it would have ended badly for him as well. He left it worse than he found it.

But he is gonna start out hot at Missouri. If he can capitalize on it, he could parlay the success into some great recruiting hauls down the road. That's a big IF though.

Yep, I will agree with you. Compared to the boring defensive-oriented game plan that he brought when he first came to UT he has really evolved. He could slow the game down at Southwest Missouri State and win enough games to get into the tournament but it didn't work as well in the SEC. To his credit he did a good job adapting and taking advantage of Stokes, Maymon, McRae, Golden and a few others' offensive production towards the end of his time here and it seemed like we had fewer and fewer 40-50 point games.

Last edited:
I don't want either of them. Barnes has no fire in his belly; as for Pearl, well, you just can't put Humpty back together again.
I don't want a cheerleader, we already have those, I want a coach which I believe Barnes to be a very good one.

Yep, I will agree with you. Compared to the boring defensive-oriented game plan that he brought when he first came to UT he has really evolved. He could slow the game down at Southwest Missouri State and win enough games to get into the tournament but it didn't work as well in the SEC. To his credit he did a good job adapting and taking advantage of Stokes, Maymon, McRae, Golden and a few others' offensive production towards the end of his time here and it seemed like we had fewer and fewer 40-50 point games.

Mizzou returns their top 7 scorers but their incoming class doesn't look like anything to write home about. Will be interesting.

I don't understand your last paragraph.

Wouldn't mind winning 20 games sometime again soon. Much better chance of getting to post season than 16.

Some how I feel like you'd be a lot more pissed if Cuonzo was underachieving every year, here, with NBA talent. Hell he's been doing that his whole coaching career. 20 win seasons, with 2 or more NBA players, and no tourney bids is the staple of cuonzo basketball. I don't think you'd dig that more than a 16 win rebuilding year.

Some how I feel like you'd be a lot more pissed if Cuonzo was underachieving every year, here, with NBA talent. Hell he's been doing that his whole coaching career. 20 win seasons, with 2 or more NBA players, and no tourney bids is the staple of cuonzo basketball. I don't think you'd dig that more than a 16 win rebuilding year.
Enjoy not making the tourney, and weak recruiting classes with your boy Barnes then sheep.

Enjoy not making the tourney, and weak recruiting classes with your boy Barnes then sheep.

😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 And you enjoy that small ego of yours. I could care less if I'm right about anything. Being right doesn't measure my self worth. It's funny that my opinion makes you so mad though 😂 Letting my posts have too much power over you buddy, ya need to go get some confidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Fwiw, I am happy with this recruiting class. UT got some size, 6'10 Kent, 6'8 Walker and 6'6 Pons. I think Walker and Pons may be instant starters, if not, 25 minutes a game, contributors. Kent probably, needs to redshirt, but if not, he will add so much needed size, although I am not impressed with his physicality and/or rebounding and shot blocking. I think Kent is a very good passer, tho, but needs a redshirt year, to concentrate on gaining weight and muscle for the SEC grind. I feel like Walker can be 2017-2018's Grant Williams with more size. Pons can be everything, I thought Hubbs would be, including a better 3 point shooter and a dunking machine. If he can develop a mid-range game like Hubbs, he could be the greatest French basketball player since Tony Parker.

Fwiw, I am happy with this recruiting class. UT got some size, 6'10 Kent, 6'8 Walker and 6'6 Pons. I think Walker and Pons may be instant starters, if not, 25 minutes a game, contributors. Kent probably, needs to redshirt, but if not, he will add so much needed size, although I am not impressed with his physicality and/or rebounding and shot blocking. I think Kent is a very good passer, tho, but needs a redshirt year, to concentrate on gaining weight and muscle for the SEC grind. I feel like Walker can be 2017-2018's Grant Williams with more size. Pons can be everything, I thought Hubbs would be, including a better 3 point shooter and a dunking machine. If he can develop a mid-range game like Hubbs, he could be the greatest French basketball player since Tony Parker.

I doubt that Walker will start as a freshman unless there's an injury. Pons could work his way into a starting spot... but as the existing depth gains more time in the system, I doubt that freshmen will be huge impact players. I don't think that either Walker or Pons averages over 20 mpg.

IMO, for all scholarship recruits that aren't busts, the players with the most experience play the most minutes. The sophomores might average more mpg than the juniors however.

I doubt that Walker will start as a freshman unless there's an injury. Pons could work his way into a starting spot... but as the existing depth gains more time in the system, I doubt that freshmen will be huge impact players. I don't think that either Walker or Pons averages over 20 mpg.

IMO, for all scholarship recruits that aren't busts, the players with the most experience play the most minutes. The sophomores might average more mpg than the juniors however.

I have only seen highlights of all 3 players, but Walker seems to have the body, skills, motor and size to play, a lot, 20+ minutes, immediately. Pons, imo, is an elite athlete, that could and should, step right into Hubbs role. Of course, in basketball, especially, I can be an eternal optimist

I have only seen highlights of all 3 players, but Walker seems to have the body, skills, motor and size to play, a lot, 20+ minutes, immediately. Pons, imo, is an elite athlete, that could and should, step right into Hubbs role. Of course, in basketball, especially, I can be an eternal optimist

We'll see how they gel. Walker can improve the size in the paint, but I expect that Fulkerson plus Williams average about 25 minutes (maybe Fulk more like 20 because his motor is always spinning near the redline) and I won't be surprised if Alexander steps up. He didn't average a lot if minutes, but he started almost every game.

At this point Pons is not as good a 3 point shooter as Hubbs which doesn't say a lot.

We'll see how they gel. Walker can improve the size in the paint, but I expect that Fulkerson plus Williams average about 25 minutes (maybe Fulk more like 20 because his motor is always spinning near the redline) and I won't be surprised if Alexander steps up. He didn't average a lot if minutes, but he started almost every game.

Thunder, I will be honest with u, I 4got about Fulk. I agree with u, Fulk and Grant will both start and get a lot of minutes. But, I am not sold on Alexander, Walker may end up getting most of Alexander's minutes and be the guy coming in, when Fulk and Grant need a rest. Yes, I am going on high school and AAU highlights, but I trust Barnes as a talent evaluator. No matter who starts, I still believe Walker gets, at least 20 minutes a game.

Thunder, I will be honest with u, I 4got about Fulk. I agree with u, Fulk and Grant will both start and get a lot of minutes. But, I am not sold on Alexander, Walker may end up getting most of Alexander's minutes and be the guy coming in, when Fulk and Grant need a rest. Yes, I am going on high school and AAU highlights, but I trust Barnes as a talent evaluator. No matter who starts, I still believe Walker gets, at least 20 minutes a game.

Whether or not Kent redshirts will be a factor for spreading the minutes around. Assuming that Kent does not RS, that will be approximately 80 minutes/game to split between about 6, maybe even 7 players.

I'll predict that the average mpg over the entire season will be close to:
25 minutes - Williams
20 minutes - Fulkerson
10 minutes - Alexander
10 minutes - Schofield
10 minutes - Walker
5 minutes - Kent

Typically IMO 1 player sets up (offensively) around the free throw line to the top of the key (Lew Evans) and the other is on the blocks. Fulkerson/Schofield/Kent usually at the high post with Williams/Alexander/Walker usually at the low post. IMO CRB will attempt to develop versatility so the personnel can play either high or low. Schofield and Williams, and maybe Walker, seeing a good percentage at both spots while Fulk and Kent spending the majority of their minutes at the HP. Alexander is a question mark to me. I think that KA attempted to pick up some slack at the HP when JF's season ended, but he couldn't beat out Lew Evans for too many minutes up high.

Of course how quickly the 2 new guys develop will greatly affect the distribution and also can Pons play any at the Fulk/Evans HP spot? If Pons can learn both the wing (3) and the HP (4), that allows tremendous flexibility when players are sick, injured, in foul trouble, disciplined/suspended, etc. Fulkerson might even see some LP (5) on occasion if the guys defending the basket aren't over powering.

I see Fulkerson as a cutter, garbage put back scorer, and feeder while Williams will musçle up close to the basket. I don't know which role best suits Walker. I think that Schofield could be very versatile playing both the 4 and 5, his outside shooting seems pretty sound, but I wish (like Williams) he was a little taller so he could get more minutes nearer to the basket.

It will be interesting to see if:
Can Fulkerson develop a perimeter shot?
Can Alexander make progress?
Will Kent redshirt?
Does Williams play more farther from the basket?
Will Pons play any HP?
Does Schofield buy in?
and where does Walker fit in?

As a side note, it will be interesting to see if Kasongo cracks the rotation at Iowa State and, if he does, what could have been at UT? Had he stayed and busted his tail in the off season he might could have been doing some damage to opponents in the paint this upcoming season.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back