Food in Lieu of Food Stamps?

The savings are illusory. Same money in, same money out.

It makes sense from purely the paternalistic view of saying, well, if we are going to pay for it, then we are going to make sure you eat healthy. One can debate the wisdom of that. I can see both sides. But the reality is that such is a superficial argument. More simply, it appeases the "Too many black folk are scamming and abusing the system" base, and so its in there. Even if it doesn't save a dime. Heck, even if it ends up costing more, there's a segment of that base that would be okay with it.

Meh, no big deal. The whole package is doomed anyway.

Well it does make a difference what they eat. If you’re on food stamps there’s a great chance you’re also on Medicaid or CHIP. So if you’re buying junk with your EBT there’s a great chance you’re going to develop or exacerbate chronic conditions that we the taxpayer will be covering. Diabetes is expensive, HBP/Heart disease is expensive, obesity is expensive. This notion that we must let them choose their food because it gives them dignity or some **** only serves to latch them even harder to the teat, at our expense.

Reactions: 3 people
So, the poor will grow healthier and stronger, eventually taking control from the obese, unhealthy remainder of the country. Maybe Trump is a liberal in disguise?

Well it does make a difference what they eat. If you’re on food stamps there’s a great chance you’re also on Medicaid or CHIP. So if you’re buying junk with your EBT there’s a great chance you’re going to develop or exacerbate chronic conditions that we the taxpayer will be covering. Diabetes is expensive, HBP/Heart disease is expensive, obesity is expensive. This notion that we must let them choose their food because it gives them dignity or some **** only serves to latch them even harder to the teat, at our expense.

That's why I said it is hard to argue against the logic of it, and I can see both sides of the issue.

I'm also saying that if anyone believes that the Trump administration proposed this because they are genuinely just really worried about the health of entitlement recipients, you are totally delusional. Their proposing it has absolutely nothing to do with the merits, and everything to do with the 36 %.

So, the poor will grow healthier and stronger, eventually taking control from the obese, unhealthy remainder of the country. Maybe Trump is a liberal in disguise?

Get out of here. Didn't you know us non-poor folks have a paid, special-forces-style militia to protect our interests? We have a special app preloaded on our smart-watches, ready to call them up at any given time.

Class warfare ain't pretty.

Reactions: 1 person
That's why I said it is hard to argue against the logic of it, and I can see both sides of the issue.

I'm also saying that if anyone believes that the Trump administration proposed this because they are genuinely just really worried about the health of entitlement recipients, you are totally delusional. Their proposing it has absolutely nothing to do with the merits, and everything to do with the 36 %.

Heh... You just said that the 36% is logically sound and rational. preach it, brother.

Hmm. I thought if not in Constitution it should be up to individual States.

The "all other things" has to be the most federally abused concept ever established. Even a war couldn't dent the abuse.

That's partially because the beef and sugar industries are so heavily subsidized by the US Govt.

It's cheaper to buy a family of four biggie sized bic mac meals than it is to go into Publix and buy fruits and vegetables.

I think it's corn running the show. The corn lobby has corn replacing sugar, gasoline, and god only knows what else. The revolt won't come until corn prices make whiskey prices untenable.

Get out of here. Didn't you know us non-poor folks have a paid, special-forces-style militia to protect our interests? We have a special app preloaded on our smart-watches, ready to call them up at any given time.

Class warfare ain't pretty.

Well played, sir. :hi:

The savings are illusory. Same money in, same money out.

It makes sense from purely the paternalistic view of saying, well, if we are going to pay for it, then we are going to make sure you eat healthy. One can debate the wisdom of that. I can see both sides. But the reality is that such is a superficial argument. More simply, it appeases the "Too many black folk are scamming and abusing the system" base, and so its in there. Even if it doesn't save a dime. Heck, even if it ends up costing more, there's a segment of that base that would be okay with it.

Meh, no big deal. The whole package is doomed anyway.

If C rations were good enough for troops, they're good enough for "the starving". And you have no idea how much C rations could be improved with a stove. Box em up and hand em out at a distribution center - with photo ID, of course.

And there's the thinking that reflects very poor education in basic government and history.

Please explain the following then:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

I don't see handouts mentioned in the Constitution along with 90% of what the federal government currently does. There must be some decoder ring I'm unaware of.

Reactions: 2 people

Not quite.

Yuh huh.

If C rations were good enough for troops, they're good enough for "the starving". And you have no idea how much C rations could be improved with a stove. Box em up and hand em out at a distribution center - with photo ID, of course.

Those things are expensive. End of days preppers drove the prices up.

God bless you. I don't drink milk, but lots of people do and they have no idea what a ball and chain milking cows are. :hi: A tip of the hat to you

I have interest, I don't milk the damn things. Just own a portion of the herd.

Those things are expensive. End of days preppers drove the prices up.

They better have stoves. :) It's amazing how a can of cold pork slices and potatoes can make fruit cocktail seem wonderful. I still carry a P-38 on my keychain - one of the greatest can openers ever made.

Reactions: 2 people
We have a lot of folks here in the outer banks who are on food stamps. I've definitely seen it abused at grocery stores. Willing to see an alternative.

They better have stoves. :) It's amazing how a can of cold pork slices and potatoes can make fruit cocktail seem wonderful. I still carry a P-38 on my keychain - one of the greatest can openers ever made.

Meh... I can make a rocket stove in 4 minutes and eat like a king. :)

The more I think about this... a program where the .gov hands out food instead of money, the more I like it. And the possibility exists where they can control it's distribution as well. Of course the .gov will **** that up, because it is what the .gov does, but the potential is there to make it a really good thing.

I see several benefits to implementing a WIC style program in lieu of food stamps.

1. Health of the recipients. After all, I am paying for their medical care, as well.
2. It can actually generate business where business is necessary. Surplus of corn? Give it out.
3. LG claims that it is a paternalistic need to control those pesky black folks. I don't view it that way. I have lived through times where I had two jobs to scrape by and make ends meet. Uncle Sam still garnished 25% of my check. Watching people that weren't working and were eating better than me was demoralizing. You see some person with a grocery cart full of sodas, chips and meat while I was figuring out if I could make a week's worth of spaghetti with 1 pound of ground beef. It's not paternalistic to want to make the system be a stop gap and not a way of life. Not all people that get food stamps behave this way, but I'd wager the ones that would b!tch about this plan do.

Reactions: 9 people

VN Store

Back