Food in Lieu of Food Stamps?

Every law must be constitutional (i.e. not violate the Constitution). That does not mean that every law must be IN the Constitution.

200w.gif

And there's the thinking that produced 20,000+ laws.

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone care to show me where in our Constitution it covers food to citizens?

The constitution is just a general framework, more of a meta rule system for our democratic system of government. There's no reason it would cover something like this, just provide a means by which legislation could be enacted to cover it if that was the will of the people.

This will never go over.

I like the idea, in theory it would reduce fraud because you’re forced to actually get food instead of selling off your benefits. Plus you could dictate what the people receive. The amount of junk food that’s EBT approved is ridiculous. It would also save on transportation costs for poor folks and eliminate much griping about food deserts.

But then someone will chime in about the stigma of “the box” on your stoop, and how it will shame poor people because others will know they’re poor.

Another thing I hadn't thought about was the fact that there have been multiple cases of convenience store and shop owners buying food stamp cards for $0.50 on the dollar (or less) and using the cards to buy junk food, etc. to sell in their stores (at full price). Sending government food in place of benefits virtually eliminates this.

THIS story is interesting, because I have worked in that neighborhood in Portland and know of the market.

White House wants to deliver food to the poor, Blue Apron-style - Feb. 12, 2018

Claims it can save $130 Billion. Not sure I believe that given the boxes will have to be created, packaged and delivered. I'm sure there will be specific needs with food allergies and what not, creating opportunity for liability if a mistake is made.

It's not a bad idea, but if we aren't saving any more money, it just looks like another layer to a program already rife with fraud and abuse. Also says receipients are still getting benefit vouchers. This may actually cost more in the end.
It's a jobs program. Those that receive free food can help package it up.

Brilliant

The constitution is just a general framework, more of a meta rule system for our democratic system of government. There's no reason it would cover something like this, just provide a means by which legislation could be enacted to cover it if that was the will of the people.

Hmm. I thought if not in Constitution it should be up to individual States.

It could save in health care costs. Americans aren't exactly making good nutrition choices, maybe the government can help with that.

That's partially because the beef and sugar industries are so heavily subsidized by the US Govt.

It's cheaper to buy a family of four biggie sized bic mac meals than it is to go into Publix and buy fruits and vegetables.

Reactions: 2 people

We don't have a 'democratic' system of government.

I still have interest in the family dairy farm.

God bless you. I don't drink milk, but lots of people do and they have no idea what a ball and chain milking cows are. :hi: A tip of the hat to you

not sure how one could argue this hurts those that can't get out and pick it up themselves. What were they doing before? Even with the full amount on your EBT card you still had to go out and buy stuff.

for the stigma, work with Amazon so that all the boxes have the smile on it. Did you go on a spending spree or is it your handout? Who knows? if delivered.

not sure how it would save us money, but I am more for this than a straight card system.

not sure how one could argue this hurts those that can't get out and pick it up themselves. What were they doing before? Even with the full amount on your EBT card you still had to go out and buy stuff.

for the stigma, work with Amazon so that all the boxes have the smile on it. Did you go on a spending spree or is it your handout? Who knows? if delivered.

not sure how it would save us money, but I am more for this than a straight card system.

The savings are illusory. Same money in, same money out.

It makes sense from purely the paternalistic view of saying, well, if we are going to pay for it, then we are going to make sure you eat healthy. One can debate the wisdom of that. I can see both sides. But the reality is that such is a superficial argument. More simply, it appeases the "Too many black folk are scamming and abusing the system" base, and so its in there. Even if it doesn't save a dime. Heck, even if it ends up costing more, there's a segment of that base that would be okay with it.

Meh, no big deal. The whole package is doomed anyway.

the savings are illusory. Same money in, same money out.

It makes sense from purely the paternalistic view of saying, well, if we are going to pay for it, then we are going to make sure you eat healthy. One can debate the wisdom of that. I can see both sides. But the reality is that such is a superficial argument. More simply, it appeases the "too many black folk are scamming and abusing the system" base, and so its in there. Even if it doesn't save a dime. Heck, even if it ends up costing more, there's a segment of that base that would be okay with it.

ffs

Reactions: 2 people
The one problem I see is the food suppliers become a special interest group, and though it may be cheaper at first, it could get more expensive over time.

Yep. All people in here screaming for privatization of this program haven't learned a damn thing from the unbridled success we call private prisons.

I'm all for privatization and free market, but stuff like this that involves tax payer money need to be left alone. It opens up the possibility for lobbying and special interest groups. In this case just replace prison sentencing guideline lobbying with re-definition of the poverty line, or food special interests, etc.

Its got nothing to do with who proposed it, and everything to do with who wants it.
You mean those of us that foot the bill would like to see a return on our 'investment'? THOSE people would want something like this? Yeah, I can see why your panties are knotted.

No, no. Not the "right."

The right that is built on resentment, yes.
Resentment? Damn skippy. I completely resent that the .gov steals my hard earned money and GIVES it away to people that have the ability to go out and do SOMETHING to 'earn' those freebies. EVERYONE can sit on ass and answer a phone. Most people can help package those food packs.

The savings are illusory. Same money in, same money out.

It makes sense from purely the paternalistic view of saying, well, if we are going to pay for it, then we are going to make sure you eat healthy. One can debate the wisdom of that. I can see both sides. But the reality is that such is a superficial argument. More simply, it appeases the "Too many black folk are scamming and abusing the system" base, and so its in there. Even if it doesn't save a dime. Heck, even if it ends up costing more, there's a segment of that base that would be okay with it.

ah, so the Obama care method. Take a problem, institute a solution that makes things worse. so that when it fails you get what you really want. clever, very clever.

the arguments against are just as superficial. "You are taking away personal responsibility" ah you mean like giving them money because they won't care for themselves.The delivery angle is a red herring.

I agree it won't save money, too much government will do that.

VN Store

Back