Fishing in Tennessee

I've seen lots of copperheads in E TN but no moccasins or cottonmouths

Herpetologists will tell you they aren't to be found much east of the Mississippi River but I know from first hand knowledge they can be found in pockets along the Cumberland. They have been brought in by hitching ries with barges.

Herpetologists will tell you they aren't to be found much east of the Mississippi River but I know from first hand knowledge they can be found in pockets along the Cumberland. They have been brought in by hitching ries with barges.

They're found along the Mississippi river & all over the southeast. I think it's an elevation thing when you start getting to the mountainous regions of upstate Ga, SC etc they aren't found. In SC it's pretty much Columbia & farther south where they are.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't think you will find a cottonmouth/ water moccasin in east Tennessee. Maybe in the western part of the state. I live in upstate SC now & they aren't around here yet everybody swears that every snake around water is a cottonmouth or that a common water snake is a copperhead because of their color. As for fishing I grew up in Newport & around Douglas lake & I remember my uncle shooting carp & gar with his bow when the lake was low. My grandpa use to take me crappie fishing & I remember catching a lot. We even use to fish off the bank at Indian Creek & catch a lot. Also now that the pigeon river is cleaned up it's a nice little smallmouth spot.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

There aren't any cottonmouths in West Tn either. There are alot in Charleston SC though.

Also, word of advice. Don't go down copperhead rd.

Cottonmouth.
images

One thing's for sure, they will bite yo ass.

Yesterday's haul from a a local creek. Honey hole 1.5lbers + all day long. I lost a 2.5lb smallie on the last shoal as my stringer caught on submerged limb and broke.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: 2 people
You can't beat the Smoky mountains for trout, especially if you are after wild fish. Stay in the park and you don't even need a trout stamp. Browns ( our biggest fish), rainbows at lower elevations and our only native trout, the Brook as you gain in elevation.

Check out Little River Outfitters site for info and local conditions.

LRO is great, huge store. kinda funny that big of a store with that much inventory is located in Townsend...not exacltly a hotbed of fly fishing for trout. although the park is good off the beaten path.

for monster fish id head for the broad, holston, one of the lakes, or Pigeon.

LRO is great, huge store. kinda funny that big of a store with that much inventory is located in Townsend...not exacltly a hotbed of fly fishing for trout. although the park is good off the beaten path.

for monster fish id head for the broad, holston, one of the lakes, or Pigeon.

LRO does a lot of mail order and the park is full of fisherman.

try the clinch river for an excellent trip of small mouth bass fishing ,I did catch well over 80 on one trip,but only barely made the limit size wise :)

we fished it from the bridge on Highway 25,right over Clinch Mountain from Bean Station,that is where Norris lake starts at

we would put in at a church up river and float down in a kayak,we use to take small metal boats,way back when,it has to be something you can carry or drag to get in the water at the church and it does take 2 vehicles

there are 2 take out points,one is a up hill drag,around 20ft or so up a steep hill(it's not to bad) and the other is at the boat ramp right at the bridge on 25,it makes for an extra 2 or 3 hours of fishing to get out at the ramp,give or take,it was usually a 6 to 8 hour float,according to how fast you float down the river,you can make shorter if you hurry

we all ways caught a bunch of small mouths,using small top water plugs,green curly tail grubs or the small silver and black rubber minnows(in the slower water) i used the in line spinner baits a 1/4 oz I think ,it is sliver and grey

there is a bunch of shoals to navigate over and fish,that is why the top water stuff,to avoid snagging up,if you take a metal boat,remember to lean down stream when you get laid up against a rocky shoal,I learned that one the hard way :) sunk our boat and picked up stuff all day as we went down the river, that trip was at the Virginia/Tennessee line

I would catch more fish,but they were usually smaller,my friend usually used a top water plug ,black top with a silver belly,he would catch the bigger ones,but not as many

due to arthritis I haven't been able to do a river trip in many a year,if anybody is interested in going let me know and I will drive over there and find the name of the church and make sure that the first take out spot is still available

there is a float from where I live at with another church to put in at to the other church,it was a bit of a pain,due to low water,on the trips we took ,my friend was driving the kayak and was *****ing about it and I was fishing like hell,catching a bunch of good smallies :)

I used to spend a lot of time catching crappie on Norris in New Tazewell. I need to get out there this summer, it's been awhile.

I used to spend a lot of time catching crappie on Norris in New Tazewell. I need to get out there this summer, it's been awhile.

I was just up there for a funeral. Buddy of mine was wanting me to go, but I didn't have time. I may try to go back in a few weeks just for fishing.

I was just up there for a funeral. Buddy of mine was wanting me to go, but I didn't have time. I may try to go back in a few weeks just for fishing.

I live in Raleigh now, and while I like to go out on a head boat from time to time, it's not the same as taking the pontoon out. And the lakes here aren't the same.

I live in Raleigh now, and while I like to go out on a head boat from time to time, it's not the same as taking the pontoon out. And the lakes here aren't the same.

Norris was pretty full and looked good. My friend has been whooping some bass at nightover tthere.

My Lil bro fished for ncstate.lots of bass round there.

I was trying to get on the Clinch most of the weekend. Apparently the water release schedule was synced with bad weather. Every time I thought I'd make the trip a look at the radar changed my mind.

I'd actually been doing pretty well up there recently. Not huge numbers but the 'Bows have been big, several way up the slot and one that was over.

in my experience to find brooks you have to hike a bit. could be wrong in the park. i dont usually fish small stream for the exact reason above.

You are not wrong, they will not be found in lower elevations. There are miles and miles of water though. Something for everyone from the guy who pulls off and fishes the side of the road to the guy chasing blue lines on a map. You can get away from everyone easily enough.

That said, I usually just fish around Tremont. I don't care so much how many fish I catch as I really just enjoy being on the water in the woods and hopping around rocks.

You are not wrong, they will not be found in lower elevations. There are miles and miles of water though. Something for everyone from the guy who pulls off and fishes the side of the road to the guy chasing blue lines on a map. You can get away from everyone easily enough.

That said, I usually just fish around Tremont. I don't care so much how many fish I catch as I really just enjoy being on the water in the woods and hopping around rocks.

Agreed. Tremont is eat up with fisherman recently. Commercial guides use it like crazy. I wish Abrams from time to time right outside the park. Good smallie fishing

try the clinch river for an excellent trip of small mouth bass fishing ,I did catch well over 80 on one trip,but only barely made the limit size wise :)

we fished it from the bridge on Highway 25,right over Clinch Mountain from Bean Station,that is where Norris lake starts at

we would put in at a church up river and float down in a kayak,we use to take small metal boats,way back when,it has to be something you can carry or drag to get in the water at the church and it does take 2 vehicles

there are 2 take out points,one is a up hill drag,around 20ft or so up a steep hill(it's not to bad) and the other is at the boat ramp right at the bridge on 25,it makes for an extra 2 or 3 hours of fishing to get out at the ramp,give or take,it was usually a 6 to 8 hour float,according to how fast you float down the river,you can make shorter if you hurry

we all ways caught a bunch of small mouths,using small top water plugs,green curly tail grubs or the small silver and black rubber minnows(in the slower water) i used the in line spinner baits a 1/4 oz I think ,it is sliver and grey

there is a bunch of shoals to navigate over and fish,that is why the top water stuff,to avoid snagging up,if you take a metal boat,remember to lean down stream when you get laid up against a rocky shoal,I learned that one the hard way :) sunk our boat and picked up stuff all day as we went down the river, that trip was at the Virginia/Tennessee line

I would catch more fish,but they were usually smaller,my friend usually used a top water plug ,black top with a silver belly,he would catch the bigger ones,but not as many

due to arthritis I haven't been able to do a river trip in many a year,if anybody is interested in going let me know and I will drive over there and find the name of the church and make sure that the first take out spot is still available

there is a float from where I live at with another church to put in at to the other church,it was a bit of a pain,due to low water,on the trips we took ,my friend was driving the kayak and was *****ing about it and I was fishing like hell,catching a bunch of good smallies :)

Very nice. Thanks for the info. I used to do this as a teenager. My dad and I built a flatbottom river boat just for this. I still have it. I may get a buddy to load up and go with me. Sounds like a load of fun.

VN Store

Back