First four out.....

Face it; it's too political and too up in the air to predict whether we are in or out. Right now the only sure thing is that by winning we improve our chances. All else is pure speculation.

If you take a look at the Matrix, and count only the 32 brackets that have been updated since the games yesterday (those which count UVA's win), Tennessee is listed as in by 25 with an average seed of 11.8. Based on this, we are the last team in.

Kentucky is in 26/32 averaging 11.58
Boise State 29/32 averaging 11.07
La Salle, 31/32 averaging 11.58

Bubble teams ahead of the last 4:
Cincinnati 31/32 9.58
California 31/32 9.87
Wichita State 30/32 10.3
Villanova 31/32 10.94
St. Mary's 31/32 10.97

The first 4 out are:
MTSU 12/32 11.5
Virginia 7/32 11.86
Ole Miss 3/32 11.33
Baylor 2/32 12

Only other team getting consideration in Iowa. One bracket has them as a 12 seed.

Tennessee could still get in even with a loss to Bama. But it would take NC State beating UVA, Butler/Dayton beating LaSalle, SDSU beating Boise State, and OK State beating Baylor. All of which is very possible. In that scenario I think we would be the last team in - and remain above UVA on the bubble.

The way the SEC and ACC brackets set up, I think we end up with a built-in advantage over UVA. It's close, but Tennessee is more likely to win 2 games in the SECT than UVA is 1 in theirs. However, if they beat NC State, that obviously looks better than a win vs. Bama. So it could be close.

LaSalle will have a very tough first game. They play the winner of Butler/Dayton. Unfortunately that game will likely be a dogfight. If so, it might be tough to turn around and play a quality team like LaSalle the next night. They are also on the weak side of the bracket. VCU is the best team in that conference IMO. Obviously 2 wins there would make LaSalle a lock. Only way we leapfrog LaSalle is for them to lose their first game and for us to beat Bama.

I expect Boise State to lose their first game vs. San Diego State which will likely plant them firmly on the bubble. It would also take a win vs. Bama to leapfrog them considering SDSU is a tourney team.

Kentucky should beat Arkansas, and that would be enough to secure them a spot IMO. If they were to lose to Ole Miss, I think it would be worse news for us than it would them.

MTSU is done for. It would take an epic collapse of the bubble for them to get in. I definitely don't see that happening.

In order for Ole Miss to get in, they will have to beat Missouri and UK. Or just Mizzou and have a couple teams lose.

So while Tennessee could get in despite a loss to Bama, they could also require a win vs. Bama and a decent showing against Florida to get in.

This picture will remain murky until at least Thursday night when LaSalle and Boise State play.

Last edited:
If you take a look at the Matrix, and count only the 32 brackets that have been updated since the games yesterday (those which count UVA's win), Tennessee is listed as in by 25 with an average seed of 11.8. Based on this, we are the last team in.

Kentucky is in 26/32 averaging 11.58
Boise State 29/32 averaging 11.07
La Salle, 31/32 averaging 11.58

Bubble teams ahead of the last 4:
Cincinnati 31/32 9.58
California 31/32 9.87
Wichita State 30/32 10.3
Villanova 31/32 10.94
St. Mary's 31/32 10.97

The first 4 out are:
MTSU 12/32 11.5
Virginia 7/32 11.86
Ole Miss 3/32 11.33
Baylor 2/32 12

Only other team getting consideration in Iowa. One bracket has them as a 12 seed.

Good work!!!

If Kentucky loses their first game which is possible I think they're out, same for boise and la Salle. Same also could be said for Nova, Cal and Cincinnati. I highly doubt all those teams win a couple and solidify their spot, that's what I say I think 2 and we're in. We win 2 and a few of those teams drop out early and we are in solidly IMO.

Good work!!!

If Kentucky loses their first game which is possible I think they're out, same for boise and la Salle. Same also could be said for Nova, Cal and Cincinnati. I highly doubt all those teams win a couple and solidify their spot, that's what I say I think 2 and we're in. We win 2 and a few of those teams drop out early and we are in solidly IMO.

If UK loses to Arkansas, they are definitely out.

Villanova will have a tough match-up with St. Johns. So a loss would certainly make them nervous for selection Sunday. But I think they're still likely to be in. Unsure about Cincy. I think it would take a very strong push by bubble teams in their tourneys to unseat them from the tourney.

Last edited:
Cal has a favorable draw in their tournament. Arizona and UCLA are the best teams in the Pac12 and are on the other side of the bracket. Cal has a legitimate shot at the title game. They will likely be safe.

If UK loses to Arkansas, they are definitely out.

Villanova will have a tough match-up with St. Johns. So a loss would certainly make them nervous for selection Sunday. But I think they're still likely to be in. Unsure about Cincy. I think it would take a very strong push by bubble teams in their tourneys to unseat them from the tourney.

Also, I know Oregon looks firmly in, but I'd have to think a loss in their first game and they're out.

Wait wait wait, let me get this right.
We lose to georgia, he moves us into last 4 in.
We win our last 2 games, he moves us into last 4 out.
.... Am I getting this right?

:crazy: I should have gone into sports casting...
A loss in our first game and were toast too.

Or La Salle. They lost Saturday.

It doesn't make sense. I'm taking it all with a grain of salt. A very large grain of salt.

Crazy, right? But you can't look at our position in a bubble (no pun intended). What other teams do is just as important.

That would be awesome. Winning the SEC tourney has always been such a tall task for this program. It'd be a significant accomplishment in it's own merit, regardless of the auto-bid incentive.

I think Cuonzo is going to get paid after this season, and he'd have to if he won the SEC this year.

He hasn't done anything extraordinary this year...he has a contract

That would be awesome. Winning the SEC tourney has always been such a tall task for this program. It'd be a significant accomplishment in it's own merit, regardless of the auto-bid incentive.

I think Cuonzo is going to get paid after this season, and he'd have to if he won the SEC this year.

If he makes it as last four in and loses the play-in game... I dunno.

If he wins the SEC tourney or goes on a sweet 16 run or even just wins one game in the tourney, hell yeah.

He's paid 11th or 12th in conference, and behind some guys who haven't made the dance...if he makes it I think market value says he deserves one.

Jmo

He hasn't done anything extraordinary this year...he has a contract

Not sure what a coach having a contract in place has to do with getting a raise. But if we get into the Madness after losing our best player, he deserves a raise. IMO

He's paid 11th or 12th in conference, and behind some guys who haven't made the dance...if he makes it I think market value says he deserves one.

Jmo

This. It isn't about what he's done, it's about market value. No way Cuonzo shouldn't be paid better than 11th or 12th in the league.

Got to pay to keep coaches. Don't necessarily agree with it, but that's how the business is run.

He's not going anywhere if he doesn't get a raise..."here's your contract...if you do the bare minimum of what's expected we'll tear it up, and if you stink it up, well, we'll honor the terms"..that's bs...like I said if he doesn't get a raise he aint going anywhere.

Jmo

Agree. It's doesn't have to be a long-term deal for $2M a year. But some sort of raise would be in order.

VN Store

Back