First dog

I've never understood paying big bucks for a dog,unless you were looking to show em or breed em

my sister did pretty good with breeding some little dogs,I forget what kind they were,the little yappers kind lol I hated them dogs,from my other post,I gather ya'll know I don't like little dogs :)

Even if you wanted a pure bred dog there are plenty of rescued around. Bristol tn husky rescue is where I got my latest husky. There is a Doberman rescue or of Knoxville.

I like animal shelters. But typically when you go through a rescue is free them up to take in another from a shelter. It's a win win.

Even if you wanted a pure bred dog there are plenty of rescued around. Bristol tn husky rescue is where I got my latest husky. There is a Doberman rescue or of Knoxville.
O
I like animal shelters. But typically when you go through a rescue is free them up to take in another from a shelter. It's a win win.

I tried and tried to get her to see that.

Ultimately I think it boiled down to the dog being some sort of a status symbol, which is sad.

Another vote for mutts, I've got a beagle/ basset that I found on a job starving, and a generic white and brown rescue, she's likely an english pointer mixed with a Springer (my best guess).

As mentioned before, you'll avoid many of the health and mental issues that come from inbreeding among purebred dogs. Plus, any old dog can be a great dog with some love and attention.

When I was a wee young child, my older brother sold a chunk of his signed baseball card collection (I was born in Phoenix so he went to a lot of Cactus League games as a teen) to buy a golden retriever puppy. That dog was the best dog that has ever dog'd. He lived to 16 and didn't really have issues until he was upwards of 14.

I know the big push these days is for rescues, and I agree that that's a great thing. But don't hate on purebreds lol

Attachments

• tumblr_m7c52dRMZx1qdq63io1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m7c52dRMZx1qdq63io1_1280.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 person
Boxer. Boxer, boxer, boxer. Best dog in the world. High energy -- puppyhood lasts until about, oh, death. But they have more personality than any dog I have ever seen. Some people assume they're badasses because of their muscular build but they're absolute clowns that love their people all-in. They're very much indoor dogs as long as you're indoors as well, but they need to get out and burn up all that energy regularly. Just, whatever you do, don't crop their f***ing ears!

I support this message

We adopted him from Germantown animal shelter , he was beaten and maciated,Once we got past his submissiveness and shyness, he opened up and became an awesome dog, we had to give him away because we lived on 14 acres in the middle of cordova(Far East Memphis) and that wasn't enough for him to run!my uncle took him in and that coonhound became one of the best my uncle has seen! He often kills coyotes and other wild dogs, very protective dog. Beautiful hounds

Bought a little lab mix at an auction last. Donated by an animal shelter. I overpaid but shes cute

We're outdoor / active folks as well. Most partial to english pointers myself as we have one. Have to exercise regularly but great temprament for being both a family dog & hunter. We happen to rescue both eps and gsps as well. Gsps can also be great family dogs but i do like eps a bit better for that. Gsps & eps hunt different as well so if youre looking for a hunter read up on that. Orgs i volunteer with:

Pointerrescue.org

Makrescue.org

This summer my family and I wanted a new dog. In the past we were lab people, mostly chocolate. This time we thought we would do our part and adopt. We visited the shelters of about all the surrounding counties and the variuos private shelters such as the Humane Society. We found several puppies that we liked.

Now we live on a secluded 50 acre, mostly wooded property. Our house is 1700 feet of driveway separating it from the road. We are not inside dog people. We all love dogs but I am mildly and my son is moderately allergic to dogs.

We were denied by all the agencies. Not one would allow us to adopt. One agency wanted to do a in-home visit. So we said screw it and adopted one from an individual on Craigslist.

Some of these morons would rather gas these dogs than given them to loving families.

Sorry for the rant. Good luck with your first dog.

My family has a blue merle border collie that is about 8 years old that would scare you by how smart he is.

With how he will act bashful when he has done wrong ("Rocky, do you know what happened to the doughnut on the kitchen counter in a tubberware bowl?") or listens to orders rather attentively it's almost like he is a human.

This summer my family and I wanted a new dog. In the past we were lab people, mostly chocolate. This time we thought we would do our part and adopt. We visited the shelters of about all the surrounding counties and the variuos private shelters such as the Humane Society. We found several puppies that we liked.

Now we live on a secluded 50 acre, mostly wooded property. Our house is 1700 feet of driveway separating it from the road. We are not inside dog people. We all love dogs but I am mildly and my son is moderately allergic to dogs.

We were denied by all the agencies. Not one would allow us to adopt. One agency wanted to do a in-home visit. So we said screw it and adopted one from an individual on Craigslist.

Some of these morons would rather gas these dogs than given them to loving families.

I agree man. They are ridiculous

Bought my little 9 week old lab mix pup from an auction..She was donated by an animal shelter. I paid $175 for her but a local vet has donated vaccines and spade for free. I bought her a kennel to stay in while im at work. Lets just say day 1 was rough. She yelped, screamed, barked. I hope she gets trained quickly.

Bought my little 9 week old lab mix pup from an auction..She was donated by an animal shelter. I paid $175 for her but a local vet has donated vaccines and spade for free. I bought her a kennel to stay in while im at work. Lets just say day 1 was rough. She yelped, screamed, barked. I hope she gets trained quickly.
Just takes consistency on your part, and don't use the kennel as a punishment or time out.

wow that is unreal and I would tell em to go get screwed if they asked for an in home visit too

Just takes consistency on your part, and don't use the kennel as a punishment or time out.

Absolutely not. I want her to enjoy it and feel safe. I bought a little clock radio to set in there y o hopefully give her some noise. Its tough being in a duplex but im working on finding a house

Absolutely not. I want her to enjoy it and feel safe. I bought a little clock radio to set in there y o hopefully give her some noise. Its tough being in a duplex but im working on finding a house

Richard Wolters "House Dog" "Water dog" books are great training books, for all around housebreaking and leash discipline.

wow that is unreal and I would tell em to go get screwed if they asked for an in home visit too

they required a home visit for me but it was to ensure I wasn't running some type of ring where I adopt dogs and fight them, etc.. wasn't to ensure I had the right type of home or yard.

they required a home visit for me but it was to ensure I wasn't running some type of ring where I adopt dogs and fight them, etc.. wasn't to ensure I had the right type of home or yard.

My problem is they wouldn't allow a dog to be outside. We have a beautiful farm for a dog to run and chase squirrels, and do things dogs love to do but they wouldn't allow it.

The problem is they don't want dogs to be dogs, they want them to be people.

My problem is they wouldn't allow a dog to be outside. We have a beautiful farm for a dog to run and chase squirrels, and do things dogs love to do but they wouldn't allow it.

Yeah, that's nuts

The humane society version of "dogs being dogs" and the average person's is quite different

The humane society version of "dogs being dogs" and the average person's is quite different

Yep, we found that out. You wouldn't believe the looks we got when we told them the dog would live outside. You'd a thought we'd abused our children. That's the way they made us feel anyway. They said "But they'll get cold in the winter time". I said, "How did they survive back in the day when 99% of people kept their dogs outside?"

I told them that when it get's really cold we bring them in the garage, which stays a comfy 65 degrees. Also, the dogs have a heated pad in their insulated dog house.

Their response, "You can keep them in a crate while in the house". My response "Now whose being cruel?" Needles to say the "In-home" wasn't happening. I didn't want these freaks anywhere near my house.

They're also making sure that the dogs aren't going to be sold to a lab and experimented on. Scum of the Earth types go on Craig's List posing as somebody looking for a pet and sell them to labs.

At least 'murica isn't nearly as bad as some of the Asian countries. It's appalling what they do with their dogs... club them unconscious and boil them for one thing. There's a special place in Hell for some of those sub-humans.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back