Finebaum: For TN A Bowl Game Would Be Impressive

LOL........you may be right, butt here is something I can tell you that will happen for SURE>>>>

IF UT wins.......Orange Sheep will be predicting and 9-10 Ws, a trip to SEC and CJP was the greatest hire in the land.

IF UT loses, after ONE game Orange Sheep will be groaning and complaining CJP is the worst. God why didn't they get Leach.....yada yada yada.

Either way, ya gotta love it!!
6Cf0ZpV.jpg

LOL...like painting the Schiano rock, spoke for ALL of the Vol fan base...haha, that's 'maybe' what .01% of the far left/far right fan base may think when UT wins...smoke ya nother-un! :

UF won’t be that good.

Mullen is liable to lose games he’s supposed to win. He’s good for that.

UGA & Bama are for sure losses.

WVU is a toss up as well but I think we win a close one.

I think we beat UK, SC, & Missouri.

Last edited:
Got to remember... Lots of questions.. New everything and lacking proven QB and huge issues with OL and DL..

To me, there is good talent on this team. It just hasnt been coached up. Now we got some coaches that can coach players up, a headcoach that wont medel in every little thing. I personally think,that we are all gonna be surprised at how different this team and these playerd look next year, and i think we surprise a lot of teams, and pundits that say we are gonna have another rough season.. jmo

Reactions: 1 person
Sept. 1 vs. West Virginia Charlotte, N.C. - Victorious Vols
Sept. 8 ETSU Knoxville, Tenn. - Victorious Vols
Sept. 15 UTEP Knoxville, Tenn. - Victorious Vols
Sept. 22 Florida * Knoxville, Tenn. - Victorious Vols
Sept. 29 at Georgia * Athens, Ga. - Victorious Vols
Oct. 13 at Auburn * Auburn, Ala. - Victorious Vols
Oct. 20 Alabama * Knoxville, Tenn. - Victorious Vols
Oct. 27 at South Carolina * Columbia, S.C. - Muschamp's losing streak to UT begins
Nov. 3 Charlotte Knoxville, Tenn. - Victorious Vols
Nov. 10 Kentucky * Knoxville, Tenn. - Victorious Vols
Nov. 17 Missouri * Knoxville, Tenn. - Victorious Vols
Nov. 24 at Vanderbilt * Nashville, Tenn. - Victorious Vols

It's not hard to imagine a 12-0 season, now. It's January. Reality need not be entertained until late August. Relax. Have a Nehi Orange. Let loose your revery.

For a team that was 0-8 in the SEC last year and having just hired Pruitt, the Vols would be lucky to go to a bowl game.

tn2018.jpg

Considering reality it's hard to argue this.

Find 6 wins in that schedule. Go ahead, give it a shot.

Well........WVU isn't as great as everyone thinks they are. I think people are just having flashbacks of Grier beating us, but again, they're not great. I say we'll beat them, so we start 1-0

We'll beat ETSU, UNC-C, and UTEP. That's 4-0

FL I think it almost in the same boat we are, so could go either way, depends on who can get their team up to speed quick, Mullen or Pruitt.

We lost to UK and SC by a combined 9 points, I think we can make up that 9 points this year. Also SC is bringing in a new offensive coordinator as well so who knows how well he'll do. I think we'll win both, since UK is losing their QB and some defensive guys, that's 5 wins.

SC will be trickier, their QB is good, but the new OC might cost them the game I think, so I'll give us this one 6 wins there.

Even if we lose to SC, I think we beat Vandy, this team just gave up in that game and we could all see it, on talent alone we should beat Vandy, now that we have a coaching staff that knows what they're doing we should beat Vandy no problems.

There are six wins there, maybe even 7 depending on the FL game. I also think UGA takes a bit of a step back next year, I don't know if we'll beat them, but it can't hurt to have the coach who knows how to stop them as your coach.

Oct. 27 at South Carolina * Columbia, S.C. - Muschamp's losing streak to UT begins

Search your hearts. Admit that you fiercely desire for the above to be true. Give me an Amen and pass the Nehi Orange.

I think this is closer o where we are now. Even then UF probably should be in the for sure loss column.

The 2019 season though.... who knows. But next year may be spent fixing some serious issues left by the former coaching staff .

I don't think you can say UF should be a loss for us at this point... I know if you use history to look at this then is almost is a sure loss, but they have a new staff and new players just like us, they have no history in 2018. The team CP fields should be able to play and beat the gators.

Tennessee should be able to beat ETSU, UTEP, Charlotte, Kentucky, Missouri, and Vandy. None of those teams should be very good next year, and all but one of those games (Vandy) is at home. That's six wins and a bowl right there.

We might be able to beat West Virginia, Florida or South Carolina. Only one of those games (South Carolina) is a true road game.

The other games (Georgia, Auburn, Alabama) are sure losses.

I think a bowl game (6 wins) is a reasonable expectation in year 1.

It's not like we don't have the talent.

For a team that was 0-8 in the SEC last year and having just hired Pruitt, the Vols would be lucky to go to a bowl game.

tn2018.jpg

There are 6 there.

This team could just as easily beat USC and UK last year

My faith in CJP will drop if he can't get to 6.

Is it consensus that Warrior is the best returning player, or maybe Trey Smith or Bituli? The new coach needs to make sure that Warrior controls his rage during the game, can't have the best player riding the pine every other quarter.

I don't think you can say UF should be a loss for us at this point... I know if you use history to look at this then is almost is a sure loss, but they have a new staff and new players just like us, they have no history in 2018. The team CP fields should be able to play and beat the gators.
i'm sure FL fans feel the same way about their chances w/their new coach.

there's a lot of unknowns out there this coming season. UF and TN have huge ?'s, and that game being early, is important to the trajectory of the season.

and both coaches will know it. neither one wants to be the 1st loser of their new series against each other.

but, putting all that aside, the FL game is a ?. could win, could lose. which staff has the roster and their staff, on the same page, and which staff can handle the situational football best. i think both coaches will be fairly aggressive in that game, and in doing so, you open up the possibility of mistakes. so again, preparedness, chemistry, trust etc....

those are the things imo, that will determine a 6 win Shreveport bowl from an 8 win "somewhere in FL" bowl type season.

i think we will be 5-6 battling Vandy in Nashville to get to 6-6 and get to a bowl. I believe that victory over an inferior program is possible, so i'll say we get to the Music City Bowl at 6-6 next year against 7-5 Minnesota next year.

tn2018.jpg

ETSU,UTEP,Charlotte,Kentucky,Mizzou and Vanderbilt. Six without a sweat. SC and Florida, most likely without an upset and WVA without any shock. Nine with no stretch of reality needed.

Now that we have a competent coaching staff, I hope the only goal is to win every game. A championship mindset is all we need and see how far it takes us.

tn2018.jpg

First four and last four...book it. We win 8 and go to a warm and sunny bowl game.

you know there's a time when you look at a schedule like that and you'd say anything less than 9 wins would be ultra disappointing.

we're not there obviously.

but in looking at a path for success...the WVU and FL games early are key. and i think both should be winnable. neither team just absolutely scares me, not like AUb, Bama and GA anyway.

you close the season with 5 of the last 6 inside state borders, against teams that anyone would consider "winnable", save Bama.

i look at that schedule and put the over/under at 7.

VN Store

Back