Finally...someone is publicly speaking out

Tennessee didn't have a loaded roster this year. And injuries to key players has marred recent runs the last two years. Hopefully it change this upcoming year. The only part of the article that wasn't true was that comment.
Coaches alone don't win championship, there are other factors including players.
I never believed Phil Jackson was a great coach but he had Jordan,Shaq,Kobe and the triangle system which was impedimented by his assistant coach.
But the bus load of haters are going to run over the head coach first.

Three top 10 recruits and two additional top 30 recruits is not a loaded roster? You might want to check UConn's roster if you don't consider this "elite". Tennessee had a more talented team by the numbers.

I don't bother with the "Fire Holly" stuff because I know it's not going to happen, but I'm not going to accept revisionist history either. Two years in row she had as talented a roster as any team in the country, and two years in a row she led them to double-digit losses and mediocre seasons.

Reactions: 6 people
John Currie expressed confidence in warlick so we'll see but next season will be no reason to lose to the bottom teams ever

Any coach that comes here will still be held up to Pat. She is our benchmark, but they'll never be another Pat Summitt. That expectation is bound to make any coach question coming here.

It's the coach that follows the legend. The coach that follows that coach only has to do better than her.

Reactions: 3 people
Who replaces her? What elite coach wants to come here and try to live up to the expectations created by Pat? Right now, letting her go accomplishes nothing. If anything, it takes us a few steps back. Give her another year or two. If this incoming class fails to produce, then you hope to find someone that can turn it around. I just don't see any elite coach out there right now that would leave the situation they're in for UT.

On the other hand who would want to follow geno at uconn(ed) me. Who wouldn't want to coach at the university that practically founded women's basketball. :question:

My comments are from a person who is not a big WBB fan, but a huge UT fan. I read some saying Holly should get another year to see if the top rated class can help her turn things around. My question is do those same people think talent has been Holly's probably since she took over? The other comment is concerning coaches not wanting to come because of Pat's legacy. I agree that the coach that follows is the one in a no win situation (John wooden, Dean Smith, Pat Summitt). However the next coach after that has a lot of history to recruit with (Championships, All Americans, legacies at the university).

Reactions: 1 person
Regardless if you are for or against Holly one thing needs to be noted and made perfectly clear. Holly is back for the next season it may or may not work out but were not looking for a coach until this coming year happens.

To add I personally do not think she is a good coach. She does some things in games that are not logical sometime. My hope is since she is coming back that additional talent can overcome coaching because I know that she is never going to approach the top coaches in the game with her ability to plan a game or execute basic principles that all coaches should know.

I think there would be many top coaches who would cherish the thought of taking over a program with such rich history and support. Holly is the one who "followed the legend". The next coach simply has to improve on Holly's record. UT isn't the program that Pat built anymore. It's the one that Holly ruined. Hey, if UT wants to go the way of ODU and LaTech, stand pat(no pun intended) and watch rome burn. If they want to play for titles again instead of cheering when someone else beats UConn and Geno, they need to make a change. All Holly brings is a tired, stale message about defense, emotion and intensity. All that rah, rah stuff works for a brief time, but at some point, it's going to ring hollow and being able to coach is what kids, teams and programs need. At this point in Holly's career and in light of her performances, it's pretty clear the emperor wears no clothes. I think she likely gets one more year due to the class she somehow managed to sign. If it weren't for the annual meltdown of Serrano's diamond Vols, she'd be first in Currie's crosshairs. As it is, Dave will be the first in the unemployment line. Holly's turn will come at the end of next season if she fails to succeed with all this new blood coming in.

Well said. Thank you!:hi:

Such a ridiculous argument.

It seems she'll be here another year regardless. You're wasting your time trying to get people to agree she should be here another year, especially if your argument is nothing more than "nobody else wants to come here so we should keep her."

Discussion will be the same next spring. Nothing resembling an offense from this and prior staff for a decade.

Personally, I like watching good basketball and I don't care that much anymore what teams produce it - smart players that move without the ball, penetrate, pass off, pick and roll, layups. UConn, ND (who made us look silly about 4 years ago), couple others do it - we don't. If we can't out-athlete people, if we depend on strategy and an actual offense, no chance when it comes to consistently beating strong programs.

Give her as many "one more year"s and top recruiting classes as you like, but nothing we've seen over a period of plenty of years suggests the result will be any different.

Kinda sad. She deserves to be remembered very positively as a player - not for taking the program in the ditch.

There are many Post of the Days in this thread but yours I would scream on RockyTop! Bravo!:hi:

Nobody wanted the job when they made Holly HC.

You cant be serious ?The reason nobody wanted the job was because they were never looking to hire anybody but Holly. If you think otherwise then you might want to stop posting.

Reactions: 2 people
John Currie expressed confidence in warlick so we'll see but next season will be no reason to lose to the bottom teams ever

well hells bells , his track record does nothing but speak failure to begin with. So if he has expressed confidence in her then you know its time to fire her.
This past 2 years there were no reason for Tn to lose to the teams they lost to but they did and will continue to.

You cant be serious ?The reason nobody wanted the job was because they were never looking to hire anybody but Holly. If you think otherwise then you might want to stop posting.

I'm not going to stop posting because you don't agree.

Who replaces her? What elite coach wants to come here and try to live up to the expectations created by Pat? Right now, letting her go accomplishes nothing. If anything, it takes us a few steps back. Give her another year or two. If this incoming class fails to produce, then you hope to find someone that can turn it around. I just don't see any elite coach out there right now that would leave the situation they're in for UT.

:lolabove:

Soooooooooo, based on your post, we will keep CPS's memory and legacy in place by having a very poor Coach run it in the ground?? Now that makes a lot of sense. To start with your premise is flawed from the Get Go....an "elite" Coach?? Did you consider either of the Coaches in NCAA Championship Game an "elite" Coach when hired....give me a break. I don't give a hoot about elite, give us someone that has Discipline, Structure that demands the players have a WHOLE lot less drama off the court. That would be great start!!!
11248080_10153352984463552_4148992994854795577_n_zpsxrzywx3o.jpg

Talking about this subject is not going to change the fact that Holly will be back and I believe the team has her back 100%. So why not support the team and encourage them to get better? I know I've been disgruntled but I gotta believe this team wants to win.

Reactions: 7 people
yeah, zactly, like firing coach Fulmer and hiring some yokels...that worked out very well...:)

GBO!

I love this statement, and laugh when people make it. Fulmer should of been fired 3 to 5 years before he was. Dont say.. the sole reason, we've been terrible because we did it.. blame the ineptitude of the AD we had to make thr decision on the 2 coaches that replaced fulmer. If we had worth his salt, and he made good hiring decisions, i guarantee. No one would make this kind of statement anymore.

What elite coach WOULD'NT love to come coach UT right now?? Any HC that's worth his/her salt and has the typical ego of a successful HC would look at the talent on the roster, and the support from the Athletic Department, and the prestige of playing in the SEC, and should feel he/she would be set up to win it all in quick fashion.

But the big issue right now is, what elite HC is there that are in a position with their present programs that they would bolt for UT - not because UT is a bad move, but because their own programs are already set up like they want them, and are just as set up for the future?

Talking about this subject is not going to change the fact that Holly will be back and I believe the team has her back 100%. So why not support the team and encourage them to get better? I know I've been disgruntled but I gotta believe this team wants to win.

Why do you people keep putting this on the backs of the players. You are totally missing the mark. This is Holly "lil monkey" and it is squarely hers to deal with.

There's a story about two guys being chased by a bear. One says to the other,"Do you think you can outrun him?" And the other answers, "I don't have to outrun him. I just have to outrun YOU."

There's a story about two guys being chased by a bear. One says to the other,"Do you think you can outrun him?" And the other answers, "I don't have to outrun him. I just have to outrun YOU."

:lolabove:

Such a ridiculous argument.

It seems she'll be here another year regardless. You're wasting your time trying to get people to agree she should be here another year, especially if your argument is nothing more than "nobody else wants to come here so we should keep her."

Discussion will be the same next spring. Nothing resembling an offense from this and prior staff for a decade.

Personally, I like watching good basketball and I don't care that much anymore what teams produce it - smart players that move without the ball, penetrate, pass off, pick and roll, layups. UConn, ND (who made us look silly about 4 years ago), couple others do it - we don't. If we can't out-athlete people, if we depend on strategy and an actual offense, no chance when it comes to consistently beating strong programs.

Give her as many "one more year"s and top recruiting classes as you like, but nothing we've seen over a period of plenty of years suggests the result will be any different.

Kinda sad. She deserves to be remembered very positively as a player - not for taking the program in the ditch.

Great post. We can have everyone come back and great players come in, but with poor coaching LV fans with continue to be disappointed.

We don't need an "elite" coach. We need a good/very good coach, which we don't have now. Of course no elite coach is going to change jobs--if by elite we mean coaches who are at established programs. That's a given, as if it needs to be explained. No, Muffet McGraw nor the baylor coach nor the maryland coach is going to leave her current job to coach UT.

You make offers to very promising coaches--with a record of winning or dominating their conference--at perhaps smaller or less prominent schools. And MANY such coaches have been mentioned on this board--Princeton coach, Oregon State, Schaefer at Miss. State--talk about a great coaching job. Nobody knows who //wants// to come to UT--that is a ridiculously naive statement. You gauge interest via agents, you reach out, and then if there is interest, you talk and negotiations ensue. There are plenty of coaches who would be thrilled to coach this program--are you kidding? And the larger point is that you don't keep a bad coach because you don't know what the next coach will be. That is stupid--and if you paid any attention to sports over the course of your life, you would see that coaches get fired practically every day for not getting the job done. If you can't win, if you underachieve, you get the sack and someone else is brought in who has the potential to do better. And I promise you there is a LARGE potential pool of candidates who could do better than Warlick.

VN Store

Back