Final Four run

The potential is there, but I don't think he will get there this year.

People were demanding that he be in the game at the end, but I am not sure ball control and decision making under pressure is his strong point at this juncture.

Did he not lose composure at the beginning of the second half against Villanova earlier this year?

I said elite Pg in the making. Agreed with you he isn't there yet

He got benched for one bad play against Nova and all hell broke loose when he came out. Barnes sat him too long in that one just like yesterday.

Your thinking is very much in line with mine. I think recruiting is gonna be a little different from here on out.

However, some players are going to have to step up if we are going to have much of a chance past the Sweet Sixteen this year. Walker showed out in Europe. Pons has a world of potential. Fulkerson has a lot to offer, if he can put it all back together. So, it's possible, but potential is going to have to become reality with some or all of these guys, for this to happen.

I don't think we realize how important Williams is to this team. Obviously he's showing it on the court, but I think he's really affecting the team with his leadership. If we're lucky it's a characteristic that's being developed by Walker so that there's continuity after GW graduates. Daniel and Darrington both seem to add similar qualities as well. Rounding up team first oriented recruits will pay dividends. Moving those off of the roster that aren't is key as well.

Reactions: 3 people
I’ll be interested to see how Barnes manages the roster over the next couple years. So many young guys so there will be some backlog in playing time.

We could make a decent run this year. We will get in unless there is an epic collapse I don't see Barnes allowing.

Next year with a NCAAA team returning pretty much everyone, and we add a one and done player who may be the nation's best scorer, an Elite Eight or FF run is very possible. If he comes I think we start the season top ten as long as we make a NCAA appearance.

This is a good point...getting in so that our players have the experience would be key for what should be a hell of a 2018-2019 season.

Yea I know that is a hot take thread title but let's really think about.

Do we have the roster to make the final four in the next 2-3 years??

I think the answer is yes. Sure we need some breaks but let's just look at South Carolina a year ago. They had one elite player and I know many of you will say we don't have that top 30 5-star player yet but hell yes we do. His name is Grant Williams.

We have an elite PG in the making in Jordan Bone (damn it Barnes let him play with the game on the line)

And we have extremely good supporting players in Turner and Bowden. Fullerton and walker will develop into mean hard nosed physical inside players giving up a very comparable team to what USCe had a year ago.

Sure it will help to add pieces but I just don't think we have to add a Simmons type player to be taken seriously.

Hot Take prediction: Our Tennessee Vols for the first time in program history will attend the Final Four in the spring of 2020!

stranger things have happened. going to need some luck, and to follow the model SC did LY, with their players staying 4 years.

I think we are 1 player away ( Simons) from being a potential final four team next year. I think we've shown we can play with the best teams this season and anything is possible once you get into the tourney. It's all about match ups and guard play is critical. I would like to see Daniel get at least 25+ minutes a game. He and Bowden are our biggest threats from behind the 3 pt. line and need more shots.

As usual you're being overly harsh on the kids. Mediocre at best? Maybe he's still a relatively inexperienced PG that's not yet playing near his potential. Don't forget that he was out with a stress fracture for most of 2016... both the pre-season practice as well as the pre-conference schedule.
You're right, that was harsh. Bone is a good player...and could be great, but I just don't see him excelling at the point.

We can't even close out against teams begging to lose. (Aka UNC). Final Four??
Barnes just needs to get em to the dance first. And THAT isn't a sure thing.

Reactions: 1 person
Just watch, UT will regress and struggle to get to .500 in league play. The elite teams will improve and be much better by year end.

You've got to have the players.

Just watch, UT will regress and struggle to get to .500 in league play. The elite teams will improve and be much better by year end.

You've got to have the players.

I would take 9-9, SEC is a tough league this year, would still likely be tourney bound.

Most likely no. If the 07-08 team couldn't I don't see any team soon doing it. So close in 2010, wanted it badly. But who knows. Would be awesome. Team has to learn not to choke against the big boys though.

we need defensive PG play. Joel Berry did whatever he wanted versus our D sunday.

that's a deal-killer in tourney.

and Darrington really shouldn't be getting minutes. he dribbles, penetrates, doesn't shoot, turns the ball over.

and Bowen has got to look to score more. he disappears way too much.

BUT, I love this team! Gonna be a lot better next year. Simons would kill it on the wing, and as a pure scorer for this team.

we need defensive PG play. Joel Berry did whatever he wanted versus our D sunday.

that's a deal-killer in tourney.

and Darrington really shouldn't be getting minutes. he dribbles, penetrates, doesn't shoot, turns the ball over.

and Bowen has got to look to score more. he disappears way too much.

BUT, I love this team! Gonna be a lot better next year. Simons would kill it on the wing, and as a pure scorer for this team.

Berry was 7/19 overall and 3/9 from 3, both of which are are below his season average...he played well but I definitely don’t feel he did “whatever he wanted”.

VN Store

Back