Final Fantasy XV (PS4, X1, PC)

How in the hell did I miss this added feature?

Final Fantasy XV Will Have A Pause Mode

Watching the video of it being used (at least) gives a feeling of ATB from the older titles where you had time to strategize your fight. Something like this may be enough to sway me. I've come to terms with nonsensical story telling and non-relatable characters, as long as the combat remained somewhat intact, in this series.

Gamespot 8
IGN 8.2
GamesRadar 4.5/5

Reviews all say story is confusing nonsense (surprise), but there is enough to do in the open world to make it fun and the camaraderie with your bros is good. The last 3rd is where the story goes off the rails and it drops the open world for a more linear ending. They all say watching the movie and anime help flesh out the story though.

Not surprised. From all I've seen and Kingsglaive I could tell the story and characters were gonna be meh. I'll pass on this until I have nothing else left to play. By then it will probably be in the bargain bin.

Gonna go try and pick this up today. I got hooked on the series way back in 99. My brother couldn't decide what to get me for my birthday (he was 13, so no money) and found a little ole "game of the year" in the bargin bin box, FF7. Will always have a special meaning for me.

Gamespot 8
IGN 8.2
GamesRadar 4.5/5

Reviews all say story is confusing nonsense (surprise), but there is enough to do in the open world to make it fun and the camaraderie with your bros is good. The last 3rd is where the story goes off the rails and it drops the open world for a more linear ending. They all say watching the movie and anime help flesh out the story though.
Anime is decent and I was confused on why they made it until now

Eh, it's good, but not great. It's got a great open world, do anything you want first half of the game. Then it suddenly changes to a linear piece of crap for the second half. The ending is good and it shoots you back to the open world at the end to do all the side missions, hunts, gather weapons, etc.

For a game that took ten damn years to make, the second half just feels rushed.

The game shines once you beat it and get back to the open world and the end game stuff.

Eh, it's good, but not great. It's got a great open world, do anything you want first half of the game. Then it suddenly changes to a linear piece of crap for the second half. The ending is good and it shoots you back to the open world at the end to do all the side missions, hunts, gather weapons, etc.

For a game that took ten damn years to make, the second half just feels rushed.

The game shines once you beat it and get back to the open world and the end game stuff.

There is speculation that the second half was made first, and was likely what the Versus game was built on, and they added the open world aspect last because Western RPGs have made those all the rage these days.

Chatt - I've heard mixed reviews from hardcore FF friends. One loves the older entries, like you and I, and he said he enjoyed it for what it was. The other friend got into the series late (around FFX) and he loved 13 (wtf?) and 12, but says this one is awful. I don't know what to think lol

😱😱😱😱😱 good, I picked it up on sale. I'll take your word for it.

It has more of an FF feel than you might think. You can pull old tracks from old final fantasy games and play them when you're driving around. It will do wonders for your nastalgia. It has some great XV-specific music as well.

The world is beautiful, full of beaches and mountains and deserts and woods. Wander too far out and you'll come across terrifying creatures you have no business encountering. Couple that with the mini-games everywhere (fishing, arcade games, etc) and you realize the world is definitely the best aspect of the game.

I will say I'm still no fan of the battle system, but it's not as bad as I thought. It's clunky and hectic, especially when you fight multiple enemies (which is pretty much always), but it's not a deal breaker.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

Delved into this recently after not playing any of the games since X.

I have enjoyed it. However, one thing I have noticed is that the difficulty level is nowhere near as hard as some of past games in the series. I am almost to Chapter 10 and haven't really come close to dying.

Delved into this recently after not playing any of the games since X.

I have enjoyed it. However, one thing I have noticed is that the difficulty level is nowhere near as hard as some of past games in the series. I am almost to Chapter 10 and haven't really come close to dying.

Yeah I don't think I ever died to the point of no return. Had to use a few Phoenix downs here and there, but that's about the extent of it.

I'll be honest....I finished the main story a few days ago and I loved every minute of it. I don't get to game as often as I used to anymore and this is the first game in a good while I've been fully immersed in.

It doesn't deserve half the hate its been getting IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll be honest....I finished the main story a few days ago and I loved every minute of it. I don't get to game as often as I used to anymore and this is the first game in a good while I've been fully immersed in.

It doesn't deserve half the hate its been getting IMO.

I thought it was a great game

GBO you ever fire this one up?

Hell no, I've got a backlog that would wrap around the equator, but I've been knocking it out bit by bit. After the Witcher 3 and the Fallout 4 DLCs, I had to take break from RPGs. I've got a "beat then delete" system I'm trying to stick to, and FFXV is coming up soon. I'm hoping I can squeeze it in before Mass Effect Andromeda, which gets moved to the front of any line lol

Well Mass Effect was a flop so I decided to skip it and play this finally. I'm only about two hours in and it's already miles ahead of 13.

Well Mass Effect was a flop so I decided to skip it and play this finally. I'm only about two hours in and it's already miles ahead of 13.

Not that 13 set the bar all that high lol.

My advice for XV: buy the previous game soundtracks and drive around listening to nastalgia, it's terrific. You can get them at most gas stations.

Not that 13 set the bar all that high lol.

My advice for XV: buy the previous game soundtracks and drive around listening to nastalgia, it's terrific. You can get them at most gas stations.

True

I've got most of 1-10 soundtracks and they're great. I wish I could get them on Apple Music in my own car. Think it'd be alright to skip the side quests, or at lease the dumb fetch quests, and manage to level up enough to get through the game?

Spoiler

It kills the immersion for me in these games when I have an urgent quest (your dad just got murdered!) and then the diner asks me to go find some tomatoes lol

True

I've got most of 1-10 soundtracks and they're great. I wish I could get them on Apple Music in my own car. Think it'd be alright to skip the side quests, or at lease the dumb fetch quests, and manage to level up enough to get through the game?

Spoiler

It kills the immersion for me in these games when I have an urgent quest (your dad just got murdered!) and then the diner asks me to go find some tomatoes lol

I did the side quests in moderation. I am with you on it breaking up the flow of the story.

But I will say you need to be doing your part to level up. The final boss doesn't require you to be a high level, but getting to him is brutal. Also later you'll want to explore some dungeons and whatnot, and they are tough even if you're a high level.

I did the side quests in moderation. I am with you on it breaking up the flow of the story.

But I will say you need to be doing your part to level up. The final boss doesn't require you to be a high level, but getting to him is brutal. Also later you'll want to explore some dungeons and whatnot, and they are tough even if you're a high level.

I'm totally cool with grinding out enemies or quests relevant to me becoming a badass to avenge the King. I was just wondering about the errand boy crap.

How's it going GBO?

Made it to a chapter 5, I think. Just fought Titan. Been on the road and only have access to my PS4 via remote play so I've been playing Dark Souls 2 and Dragon Quest 8 on the 3DS. I plan on getting back to it this week though. I like it, but it hasn't hooked me just yet.

VN Store

Back