Final Fantasy XV (PS4, X1, PC)

Gotta love Square Enix and their androgynous characters. I hope this doesn't suck, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

10-2, 11, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 were all pretty awful Final Fantasy titles that might have been good RPGs under another name.

I'm more excited about FF7 being re-released for PS4 haha, but I will pick this up for my One if it turns out good.

What? Is that actually happening? People have speculated ever since PS3, but I didn't think it would ever happen.

What? Is that actually happening? People have speculated ever since PS3, but I didn't think it would ever happen.

Well sweet jesus, I just googled it. I didn't know they already released it on PC. That seems pointless, since you could just emulate it on PC. But they did add new features.

I'm not sure I want to replay it. If it doesn't hold up, it would ruin my childhood. I can't spend 6 weeks trying to breed a gold chocobo again, either. I'm an adult now! I have adult responsibilities!

Reactions: 2 people
Buddy of mine bought Type-O and gave me the code for the XV demo. Only played for a few minutes, just did the battle tutorial.

The battle system is....... going to take some getting used to.

I think the last one I played was 13. The one with the autopilot battle system.

I'm curious where it's gone from there. Did it go back more traditional, or does it get further out there each iteration?

I think the last one I played was 13. The one with the autopilot battle system.

I'm curious where it's gone from there. Did it go back more traditional, or does it get further out there each iteration?

This one is wayyyyy far out. You only control your main character. When you go into battle you're inside of a blue ring type thing, I guess that seals off the battle zone. It's completely free roaming, not turn-based, and different attacks use different button combinations. You can just hold L1 to go into defense mode where nothing can hit you, or you can "warp" to high ground where you can restore MP. You don't actually hold a weapon, you have 4 in your inventory at any one time and which weapon you use depends on what kind of attack you do.

For instance, using L1+X may pull out a basic sword, while L1+O might pull out a giant heavy sword.

Well sweet jesus, I just googled it. I didn't know they already released it on PC. That seems pointless, since you could just emulate it on PC. But they did add new features.

I'm not sure I want to replay it. If it doesn't hold up, it would ruin my childhood. I can't spend 6 weeks trying to breed a gold chocobo again, either. I'm an adult now! I have adult responsibilities!

South Park could make a whole episode from just this post :D

Just finished the Episode Duscae demo. It was just ok. Granted it was just a small sample size, but it wasn't nearly enough to get me excited about the game.

Again the battle system is meh. Maybe in the real game it will open up more, but it felt like a lot of repeated button mashing and running in circles to me.

This is a first for the FF series, they've conformed to the "you run really slow, you can click in the joystick to sprint, but you only sprint for about 5 seconds then you get tired and your character walks" method of travel. Not a fan at all, especially considering how big the game is obviously going to be (the demo alone was a massive open world considering it was a demo).

Got to see chocobos, but didn't get to ride. Not available in the demo.

One thing that was cool, but disappointing. The "boss" of the demo is a giant behemoth (typical FF behemoth, purple and large) and he is very difficult to beat. I attacked him a few times, then decided my level wasn't high enough. I spent some time leveling up, doing a few side quests, etc. I found a summon spell, the only one in the game apparently, and I figured it would help me kill the behemoth. I was about to log off, but I wanted to go encounter the behemoth one more time and just see how much damage the summon spell did....... and it killed the behemoth in one hit and the demo was beaten. Disappointing.

The summon spell was visually stunning, I will say that.

There's only about 5 or 6 different types of enemies in the game, the most annoying ones look like hyenas. Again it's not turn-based, so you have to go chasing after them. It's frustrating.

Graphics were good. Not mind-blowing, but good.

That's pretty much the jist of it. Anyone who has played the demo I would love your input.

Yeah, FF7 is being released for PS4, but it is the PC version. It will have trophies though for achievement/trophy whores like me :)

FF15 demo was meh. It is FF Crisis Core/FF12/Kingdom Hearts battle style. The old school way is only available on the handhelds (because the Japanese only play handhelds).

I understand some people not liking the old style, but I don't want all of my RPGS to be like Dark Souls. Or Dragon Age. Or Skyrim. Or Witcher. I like them all because they're unique from one another in many ways and offer different styles. I wish SquareEnix would just accept that they don't HAVE to be like Western RPG makers.

Well... Have y'all played the Platinum Demo yet?

Probably the dumbest s**t I've ever downloaded.

1. You're a little kid with a pet Carbuncle that communicates with you through your cell phone.

2. Follow him in a linear canyon collecting gems for no apparent reason.

3. He gives you a squeeky toy hammer and sword to fight Kingdom Heart shadow bugs.

At this point, I actually checked to see if I had downloaded a KH demo...

4. Get teleported into a child's bedroom as an action figure sized child. Drive a toy truck from the most awkward camera angle ever. Fight more shadow bugs. Climb to the top of a table. And teleport to a city.

5. In the city you collect more coins, fight shadow bugs, morph into a giraffe?

6. Meet an iron giant enemy. Turn into an adult. Fight using the clunkiest fighting mechanics I could possibly imagine. You can't die. Beat the iron giant.

7. Carbuncle congratulates you and let's you name him. End of demo.

Well... Have y'all played the Platinum Demo yet?

Probably the dumbest s**t I've ever downloaded.

1. You're a little kid with a pet Carbuncle that communicates with you through your cell phone.

2. Follow him in a linear canyon collecting gems for no apparent reason.

3. He gives you a squeeky toy hammer and sword to fight Kingdom Heart shadow bugs.

At this point, I actually checked to see if I had downloaded a KH demo...

4. Get teleported into a child's bedroom as an action figure sized child. Drive a toy truck from the most awkward camera angle ever. Fight more shadow bugs. Climb to the top of a table. And teleport to a city.

5. In the city you collect more coins, fight shadow bugs, morph into a giraffe?

6. Meet an iron giant enemy. Turn into an adult. Fight using the clunkiest fighting mechanics I could possibly imagine. You can't die. Beat the iron giant.

7. Carbuncle congratulates you and let's you name him. End of demo.

You do realize the demo took place inside a child's dream and was basically just a vertical slice of a tech demo showing off what will be in the game like combat, driving, weather effects, etc.

I myself had a lot of fun with the demo, thought it all looked beautiful and it made me excited for the final game. My only complaint was that the camera went crazy a couple times (whenever it was pushed up against objects I guess), so hopefully those kinks are worked out by September

Last edited:
You do realize the demo took place inside a child's dream and was basically just a vertical slice of a tech demo showing off what will be in the game like combat, driving, weather effects, etc.

I myself had a lot of fun with the demo, thought it all looked beautiful and it made me excited for the final game. My only complaint was that the camera went crazy a couple times (whenever it was pushed up against objects I guess), so hopefully those kinks are worked out by September

Yeah, I get that, and I played Duscae. Throwing out points 1-5 and number 7, still left me with a clunky weightless melee system that seems to be more KH than anything resembling a Final Fantasy. FF games are always beautiful, but that doesn't equate to good. FF13 was gorgeous, but was a soulless 45 hour hallway. Yes, the camera angles were awful too. And the driving was awful. If it is more like Duscae, I'm may be in, but if any of this cute Disney KH crap continues to leak over, then good luck selling 10 million copies for this to be a success SquareEnix.

Yeah, I get that, and I played Duscae. Throwing out points 1-5 and number 7, still left me with a clunky weightless melee system that seems to be more KH than anything resembling a Final Fantasy. FF games are always beautiful, but that doesn't equate to good. FF13 was gorgeous, but was a soulless 45 hour hallway. Yes, the camera angles were awful too. And the driving was awful. If it is more like Duscae, I'm may be in, but if any of this cute Disney KH crap continues to leak over, then good luck selling 10 million copies for this to be a success SquareEnix.

I pretty much despise this new battle system all around as it is, at least based on Duscae. It felt like a clunky, jumbled, button-mashing, auto-locking mess where I'm just throwing my sword at random targets and flying all over the place. I could see it being fun against one giant target maybe, but against 5 little wolves it was nothing short of annoying.

I pretty much despise this new battle system all around as it is, at least based on Duscae. It felt like a clunky, jumbled, button-mashing, auto-locking mess where I'm just throwing my sword at random targets and flying all over the place. I could see it being fun against one giant target maybe, but against 5 little wolves it was nothing short of annoying.

The new battle system reminds me a lot of the Monster Hunter series. Good for Hunter games, but I'm not feeling it in FF. Check out the Platinum demo. Weep for the series even more.

I still think this game looks epic as **** and I'm looking forward to playing it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4KqgmmzZPY[/youtube]

Japanese box art

Ce2VKOKUEAEqOyr.jpg:large

Reactions: 1 person
I hope this is good. Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto games are the only ones I typically pay full price for and buy new.

Not optimistic...... here's Conan O'Brien testing it out on clueless gamer.

https://youtu.be/eXJFbsQBvLw

Watching people who developed it fight big monsters, get knocked down, and then seeing the recover animation take so long that they get hit and knocked down again and again...unintuitive controls can kill it for me. The director of this game made Crisis Core and Type-0, two of the only spin offs I've cared about, so I'm still taking a wait and see.

The director of this game made Crisis Core and Type-0, two of the only spin offs I've cared about, so I'm still taking a wait and see.

It's a shame. I love Type-0, but this is the first main Final Fantasy title that I have no interest in. I know you shouldn't judge a book based on its cover, but it just looks like emo sausage fest 15 to me. The emo main character doesn't seem like he'd appeal to me at all. Not a fan of the Kingdom Hearts combat style either, which has literally put me to sleep before.

To put it in more perspective, I'm not too crazy about FFXII but I'm looking more towards the HD remaster of that than I am this, and it doesn't come out til next spring.

Last edited:
It's a shame. I love Type-0, but this is the first main Final Fantasy title that I have no interest in. I know you shouldn't judge a book based on its cover, but it just looks like emo sausage fest 15 to me. The emo main character doesn't seem like he'd appeal to me at all. Not a fan of the Kingdom Hearts combat style either, which has literally put me to sleep before.

To put it in more perspective, I'm not too crazy about FFXII but I'm looking more towards the HD remaster of that than I am this, and it doesn't come out til next spring.

I'm really just dreading the combat. I can deal with the emo kid thing, as they're a mainstay in JRPGs nowadays. I look forward to 12 more as well. I'm just not getting excited for this one so I can't be let down, I guess.

I'm really just dreading the combat. I can deal with the emo kid thing, as they're a mainstay in JRPGs nowadays. I look forward to 12 more as well. I'm just not getting excited for this one so I can't be let down, I guess.

Same here. I just can't imagine this combat being good or creative.

When I want hack n slash (which is basically what this is), I play Dark Souls.

When I want strategy, I play Final Fantasy games.

Same here. I just can't imagine this combat being good or creative.

When I want hack n slash (which is basically what this is), I play Dark Souls.

When I want strategy, I play Final Fantasy games.

I'm not sure I'd even put this in the sword and board style of Dark Souls. From what I've played this is some odd combination of Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia on PSP. I felt like I had very little control of my character's actions like I do in Souls, and like you said, little strategy compared to the old FF.

VN Store

Back