favorite mower/weedeater brand?

Im with the others on a Stihl weedeater. Best I ever owned was a Shindiawa but not many dealers in East Tenn.

Best I've ever used was shindaiwa. Second best was stihl. Had a manual feed head with the huge metal core string..hardly ever needed a brush blade.

Need a new mower. I have about 1/4 acre in grass. I have a tall fescue lawn I like to keep at 4". I don't need self-propelled, but I can't find Honda or Toro locally in the models that aren't self-propelled. Wondering if I should splurge on the Honda HRX line, or if there are other high-quality options without the bells and whistles.

Also, my Echo string trimmer is awful for edging. The design of the fuel line is such that when it's turned up on it's side for edging the side of the fuel tank where the intake is positioned is all the way up so it doesn't take in any fuel and sputters out. I'd like to throw it into a lake.

wife and I just bought our first house in big orange country. Need some suggestions for reliable mowers and weedeater since I will have to buy these soon. What do ya say volnation? Help a vol out.

Sheep for grass, goats for edging.

Need a new mower. I have about 1/4 acre in grass. I have a tall fescue lawn I like to keep at 4". I don't need self-propelled, but I can't find Honda or Toro locally in the models that aren't self-propelled. Wondering if I should splurge on the Honda HRX line, or if there are other high-quality options without the bells and whistles.

Also, my Echo string trimmer is awful for edging. The design of the fuel line is such that when it's turned up on it's side for edging the side of the fuel tank where the intake is positioned is all the way up so it doesn't take in any fuel and sputters out. I'd like to throw it into a lake.
Honda commercial mowers are some of the best made. All I’ve bought & used since 96. Current one, HR215 SXA is from 02 & still runs like new. Only part ever replaced was a clutch engage spring. Had carb problems from ethanol gas in the past from winter setup, but found a additive to mix in & all is good now.

Echo makes good stuff too but I’m not familiar with their entry level lines. The Echo doesn’t have a fuel pickup line with a filter? SRM 210 I use has one & engine cut out when edging has never happened.

Laughed at your “I'd like to throw it into a lake.” I’ve beat the holy sheet outta several bo bo brand weed eaters in the past. That’s when I learned to buy better equipment. Good lawn equipment costs, but well worth it

Honda commercial mowers are some of the best made. All I’ve bought & used since 96. Current one, HR215 SXA is from 02 & still runs like new. Only part ever replaced was a clutch engage spring. Had carb problems from ethanol gas in the past from winter setup, but found a additive to mix in & all is good now.

Echo makes good stuff too but I’m not familiar with their entry level lines. The Echo doesn’t have a fuel pickup line with a filter? SRM 210 I use has one & engine cut out when edging has never happened.

Laughed at your “I'd like to throw it into a lake.” I’ve beat the holy sheet outta several bo bo brand weed eaters in the past. That’s when I learned to buy better equipment. Good lawn equipment costs, but well worth it
I have the SRM 225. I mostly just need something for edging and it spits a lot of oil out and dies.

I have 2 Dixie Choppers with 60 inch decks and are a huge fan of Echo straight shaft weed eaters.

Honda gas mower from HD. Electric weedeater. I'm done with pulling my shoulder out to start my weedeater. Plug in & go and zero maintenance

Plus all that noise and vibration just to trim the grass. I use the Ego brand electric trimmer, huge lithium battery with quick charger. I can trim 3 times quietly without charging.

I have a crabapple tree that constantly sends up new shoots so I use my trimmer for that as well. I don’t think an electric trimmer would be able to handle them

Got a buddy who owns a landscaping company. He only uses Exmark mowers. Never seems to have a problem with them.

Personally my yard isnt that big. Got a Troy-bilt pushmower from Lowes 4 years ago for $200. Still starts on the 1st or 2nd pull

Reactions: BennesseeVols
Anything battery powered.....less than 20 minutes of work before I have to take a break.

Stihl commecrial grade for weedeater, their commercial grade ones have orange plastic on the top of the engine

Honda or troybilt mower unless your have a really large yard then an exmark

Mine has a metal filter at the end of it. Guess it’s still not heavy enough. Kind of a bad design flaw in any case. Will try weighting it more. Thanks
Read some more on it tonite. Longer fuel pickup line with the weighted OEM filter or keep the tank full were some suggestions. Some of the posts were from 2013, HD still sells this unit today & there’s still an issue with edging. Terrible. Would a stick edger work?
Going w this one I think. Don't need the self propel but it's in stock locally. Only $10 more than the non-self propel
Honda HRN216VKA Model Info | 21" Walk Behind Mower | Honda Lawn Mowers
Great reviews on this mower. You’ll like the self-propelled now & love it when you get older. Use to say I’d never have a self-propelled, now it’s I’ll never not have one. It just makes the job a lot easier. Get the wacker acting normal & you should be set for a long time

Reactions: golfballs
With a quarter acre you could get an electric mower. I have that and an electric Stihl weedeater, never have to worry about gas, mix, will it turn over, etc.

VN Store

Back