favorite mower/weedeater brand?

I've used an Echo for a long time now. Much less expensive than a Shindaiwa or Stihl and just as reliable. Get them at Home Depot. Also, depends on what kind of mower-push or riding. Push mower Honda. Riding mower-you're going to have to work on all of them but get one with a Kawasaki or Kohler engine like a Husq or Cub or get a John Deere.

I like my toro. I'd recommend going with a 4 cycle...more power and no mixing oil.

i gotta related question for the board: what trimmer string do you use? Im frustrated with how fragile trimmer line is.

I've found most 4 cycles to be throw aways at repair time, though they do the job while they're running.

Husqvarna makes a real nice 4 cycle trimmer, but there's an obvious power shortage compared to a brand name 2 cycle.

Thanks guys I appreciate the input! I have been looking at stihl weedeaters because I haven't been able to find a shidaiwa dealer.

Thanks guys I appreciate the input! I have been looking at stihl weedeaters because I haven't been able to find a shidaiwa dealer.

Anyone that sells Echo (not big boxes of course) should be able to get you a Shindaiwa without any problem.

If you want to make the neighbors jealous go with a reel mower. I use a McLane 5hp 7Blade reel. My yard looks like a fairway.

I like my Hedgehog weed eater.

Tell me more about the reel mower. How different is the cut, etc.?

Honda gas mower from HD. Electric weedeater. I'm done with pulling my shoulder out to start my weedeater. Plug in & go and zero maintenance

This is my combo - got a 20v Black and Deck weedeater and it works fine.

Have had a Honda for about 8 years now and it is reliable as can be.

If you are looking at a self propelled mower go for one with rear drive rather than front drive. Much easier to maneuver.

Reactions: 1 person
If you are looking at a self propelled mower go for one with rear drive rather than front drive. Much easier to maneuver.

This all day. The front drive setup is awful and unnatural, plus the design wears out the drives quickly.

There's absolutely no "good side" of a front drive push mower than a rear drive.

Tell me more about the reel mower. How different is the cut, etc.?

Reel mowing is how grass is meant to be cut. Rotary mowers tear the grass. Reel mowing cuts grass like scissors. I researched reel mowing online and watched a lot of YouTube videos before I committed to it.

It's not for everyone but I'm somewhat old school. It make your lawn look amazing.

Reel mowing is how grass is meant to be cut. Rotary mowers tear the grass. Reel mowing cuts grass like scissors. I researched reel mowing online and watched a lot of YouTube videos before I committed to it.

It's not for everyone but I'm somewhat old school. It make your lawn look amazing.

Typically you have to mow very frequently with a reel mower to get that amazing look, but it definitely does make the lawn look superb.

I'm surprised the Global Warming crowd hasn't chimed in about some battery powered mower and weed eater.

I have a Stihl weed eater for 7 years now, and John Deere self propelled mower. No issues so far.

Blower, yes. But the Husqvarna XP's are the best saws on the market imo. Echo makes a nice climber but most of their saws feel cheap to me.

The XP is kind of overkill for most homeowners unless you're doing a lot of heavy cutting on a regular basis. The 445 will do most jobs a homeowner would likely encounter with plenty of power to spare.

But you are correct, Huskys are about the best saw you can get, but the larger Stihls are right up there with them.

The XP is kind of overkill for most homeowners unless you're doing a lot of heavy cutting on a regular basis. The 445 will do most jobs a homeowner would likely encounter with plenty of power to spare.

But you are correct, Huskys are about the best saw you can get, but the larger Stihls are right up there with them.

The Husky Ranchers are nice, my dad has a 450, it's the right balance of weight and power. The 460 has more balls but not enough to offset the added weight. Without a doubt the only saws worth a damn at a big box.

The Husky Ranchers are nice, my dad has a 450, it's the right balance of weight and power. The 460 has more balls but not enough to offset the added weight. Without a doubt the only saws worth a damn at a big box.

I looked at the Rancher, but couldn't justify the added cost and weight for what I'd be doing with it. The 445 was about the perfect size and power for what I've used it for and it's been a beast through three tornado clean ups.

I have had a "wild thing" for 10 years or so. Still works good. I did put a smaller bar on it.

Typically you have to mow very frequently with a reel mower to get that amazing look, but it definitely does make the lawn look superb.

You are correct. I have to mow maybe 2 or 3 days sooner during peak growing season. It's just my thing I guess. I really enjoy being outside. It's good therapy.

If you have zoysia or St Augustine then a reel mower is the ticket. That is assuming you have a relatively small area to maintain. They also work pretty well with fescue grass.

I used to have a reel mower when I had a Bermuda lawn. Don't think they'd work well for Fescue, Rye, or Blue grass.

Plus a reel riding mower for a larger lawn would set you back about 12 to 15 thousand.

Posted this in another thread. My McLane self-propelled 7 blade reel was around $700 through Sears. It's a lot for a walk behind mower but it's built like a tank. All steel with a Honda ohv engine. It's made to last a long time.

VN Store

Back