Expansion Rumor

Yes, I lived in the suburbs of DC for almost 30 years and you see as much WVU apparel as you do UMD, UVA. Still not as much as Tech though.

this, i just moved to west virginia a month ago, and believe me, they are passionate fans of WVU football and all sports, only thing you see on cars is the WVU logo.. and its not just people from west virginia. its people from PA, Virginia, Maryland. so there is a big TV market to be had up here.

Yes, I lived in the suburbs of DC for almost 30 years and you see as much WVU apparel as you do UMD, UVA. Still not as much as Tech though.

Maybe so, but I'd be surprised if WVU got as good TV numbers as UMD does.

from a tv and recruiting stand point I would rather have WV and MO than Clempson and Va tech...We don't recuit Mo much or WV

from a tv and recruiting stand point I would rather have WV and MO than Clempson and Va tech...We don't recuit Mo much or WV

Even though we have Vandy as an instate SEC school, uGA, FL, and SC would never allow the entrance od Clemson, GT, FSU or Miami into our conference. WV is the right choice for the east. I like VT myself, but that won't happen. As far as the west addition, Mizz is the likely candidate. Yes OU would be better, but Mizz is the right fit geographically. I'd like to see Bama moved to the east to keep our rivalry with them. Bama and AU would still have their end of season Iron Bowl just like we'll end ours with KY.

It's not the numbers that the school currently pulls that is the draw. It's the potential TV numbers that can be sold to advertisers that is driving this. When you can sell advertising based upon the number of households in the Pittsburgh, Northern VA, and MD markets simultaneously......you have a winning situation. We're talking tens of millions of people in that region.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

It's not necessarily about attraction, but about the numbers available for advertising in the regional TV coverage. Morgantown is only about 100 miles from Pittsburgh. That's a lot of TV's.

I'd imagine that a good number of WVU grads end up in the Pittsburgh era as well as DC area.

Morgantown is actually a really fun gameday experience. It's a pretty cool campus, the town- not so much, but the campus is nice. They love their football there too. It's not your typical Big East football experience.

Tailgating in Morgantown is a good time.

That said, I don't think they're a good match (money aside) for the SEC.

I was originally a proponent of aTm joining. Now that it's actually happening, meh...

Three words... North. Carolina. State.

-- Gets the SEC into the Charlotte and Raliegh/Durham/Chapel Hill television markets
-- Gets SEC into the banking and technology industries based in that area
-- NC State gets out from under shadow of Duke/UNC
-- NC State can market itself differently to recruits and fans in the area
-- NC State would be competitive in every sport except football immediately
-- SEC gains a well-recognized school that won't make schedule more difficult
-- SEC expands its footprint while staying geographically sound
-- SEC gains a school without infringing on any current member school territory
-- SEC takes market share away from a nearby rival conference
-- SEC schools gain academic inroads to the Research Triangle

State is not competitive in bball and football drives the bus. They arent leaving duke and unc.

I lived in Northern VA, and most UMD games weren't on TV. You might get one or two as the JP game of the week. Just seemed to me that I saw WVU on TV way more that UMD or UVA. Maybe it just seemed that way?

-- Gets the SEC into the Charlotte and Raliegh/Durham/Chapel Hill television markets

I live in Raleigh and all of my employees are NCSU grads! I am looking forward to the first game next year, it would be even more fun to whip them on a regular basis, as well as having SEC schooles coming to Carter Finely.

Is this a downgrade for the SEC. I personally dont relish the idea of traveling to Morgantown or Columbia.
Both WV and Missou would be < than what we already have. I might vote to boot Vandy from the league as they have been nothing but a butt sore and parasite in this conference for decade after decade. Replace them with WVU and bring in VT +FSU for the East. Add Oklahoma to the West and the SEC is now the new NFL Internship League.

ah yes, the "expansion needs to be whatever I can pound my chest about the hardest" ideology.....

I lived in Northern VA, and most UMD games weren't on TV. You might get one or two as the JP game of the week. Just seemed to me that I saw WVU on TV way more that UMD or UVA. Maybe it just seemed that way?

Obviously Maryland needs to have a somewhat competitive team to get people to watch, which hasn't always been the case.

No smart@ss.....the very populated Pittsburgh and DC televison markets.

the Pittsburgh market is peanuts compared to DC and DC cares little about WVa sports.

Like I said, if the SEC really wanted the DC market, there are a number of schools we would consider before WVa.

It's because West Virginia has historically played a lot of games on off nights in order to get on TV

This x 100

Adding WVU academically would be like adding another MSU. They are the anti-ATM. No thanks. There's no reason to think NCST couldn't improve just as USC has.

I think that West Virgina and Clemson would make great teams to join our conference. They are already in our culture of how we do thing. The only thing that needs to happen is for WVU to get a bigger stadium.

I could be wrong but I just don't see a lot of people that care about NC State athletics. Honestly, I bet 65% of football watchers around the US couldn't even name their mascot but could name WVA's.

This stinks of greed. Its good for the rich fatcats at the top. Not good for the fans, the schools, or the tradition of the SEC. Cheers to the new watered down SEC.

the Pittsburgh market is peanuts compared to DC and DC cares little about WVa sports.

Like I said, if the SEC really wanted the DC market, there are a number of schools we would consider before WVa.

It's not about the schools following or fanbase......as I said before......it is about the potential number of TV's in the surrounding region. That region encompasses PA, Northern VA, MD, and DC.

It's a market the SEC is not currently in. The potential advertising dollars in this region will weigh heavily when renegotiating the ESPN contract.

This CANNOT be that hard to understand.

VN Store

Back