Expansion Rumor

Not only money markets, but here is a list of states with most D1 recruits. I think TV market for SEC would be good in Texas and Virginia.......

Texas - 178
Florida - 120
California - 85
Georgia - 79
Ohio - 76
Pennsylvania - 43
Virginia - 35
Indiana - 33
Louisiana - 33
Michigan - 31
New Jersey - 31
Alabama - 30
Tennessee - 29
Illinois - 28
North Carolina - 28
Maryland - 25
Mississippi - 21
South Carolina - 20
Arizona - 15
Missouri - 14
Kentucky - 13
Colorado - 12
Oklahoma - 12
Utah - 11
Washington - 11

this has nothing to do with venues or the respective locations. It has everything to do with tv markets. This moves the sec into the st. Louis and k.c. Markets in the west, and the pittsburgh and d.c. Markets in the east. That's a huge number of potential viewers for the conference and the all-important espn contract.
posted via volnation mobile

this ^^^^^

Mr SEC web site has an interesting layout with only 15 teams with the SEC in three divisions ( West, Central and East) of 5 teams each. worth the site visit IMO. Includes both Miz and WVU in addition to aTm.

I don't want to see the dominoes fall but I don't see how that's our fault either that started a while back. They have a fractious conference that Texas has been allowed to rule and they've run everyone with any sense and ability out.

VT is saying no thanks....for now. Could be playing coy. We'll see.

WVU allows us to infringe heavily on the Big 10 and Big East TV markets. I can't stress this enough.....the TV pie and and the advertising revenue is what the conference is after.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The coveted west Va tv market?? Ha

This has nothing to do with venues or the respective locations. It has everything to do with TV markets. This moves the SEC into the St. Louis and K.C. markets in the west, and the Pittsburgh and D.C. markets in the east. That's a huge number of potential viewers for the conference and the all-important ESPN contract.

Winner.

TV markets are what matters. SEC led the way in the early 1990s. I was unsure about expansion at the time. Eight NC later (including the Big Orange!) not so much.

I think it will help recruiting in those areas too. It's weird but we'll get used to it.

Missouri is a Big Ten (or something) school. Not a good choice for an SEC invite. WV isn't a bad choice but I would rather see Clemson.

Clemson brings absolutely nothing to the table that South Carolina doesn't already bring.

You have to think TV markets. Maryland would be a good choice, think of the rich recruiting in the DC/Baltimore/N Virginia region.

VT would be good for bringing the Virginia market.

Less than 150 miles. You'll encompass from Pittsburgh, upper VA, MD and DC by default.

This is not about fans or regions. It's about the number of idiot boxes connected to cable in the footprint. Advertising $$$$ is what is driving all of this.

Financially the SEC is set as is. I don't see weakening the conference in hopes to add a few bucks. A&M might have tradition, but I don't see them as being an SEC powerhouse. If they wanna bring in Oklahoma and Virginia Tech, then I could understand that. Bet the dollars would increase then too.

Because the way CFB is heading we can't afford to sit tight at a 12 team conference as we'd prefer. Times are changing and we either step up and call the shots or we get left to pick over the leftovers.

I can't take VT in the SEC though. Wife is a Hokie! 95 Gator Bowl was fantastic, Chick-Fil_A bowl a few years ago- not so much. Took a lot of crap for that one. Too many friends that are Hokies as well. For mere personal reasons, I can't have the Hokies in the same league!

If it happens, is there a good divorce lawyer on VolNation? :eek:hmy:

VT is saying no thanks....for now. Could be playing coy. We'll see.

WVU allows us to infringe heavily on the Big 10 and Big East TV markets. I can't stress this enough.....the TV pie and and the advertising revenue is what the conference is after.

yes, WV & Mizzou both do such

St. Louis is a professional fan base town (Blues, Cardinals and Rams). After living here for over 20 years, I could count on my fingers how many time Mizzou has been mention on the local news (TV/Sports Radio). They just don't care that much about college sports here. Kansas City is about the same. I don't believe it's that great a market. With that being said, they do have tons of high school talent in this area who get recruited into the Big Ten.

yeah after living there 4-5 years also, i beg to differ on a "they don't even know there's a college team" stance some people take

Conference expansion is going to hurt college football long term. I am certain of it. Sports leagues have all gone through huge issues after too much expansion (greed). "Oh, we make 5 billion, let's expand and get to 7 billion!" College football, outside of scandals around benefits, has been close to perfect.

This has nothing to do with venues or the respective locations. It has everything to do with TV markets. This moves the SEC into the St. Louis and K.C. markets in the west, and the Pittsburgh and D.C. markets in the east. That's a huge number of potential viewers for the conference and the all-important ESPN contract.

:yes:

someone explain to me - how does WVU draw pittsburgh? I would have thought between Pitt and Penn St, the state's pretty locked up viewership wise

It's not necessarily about attraction, but about the numbers available for advertising in the regional TV coverage. Morgantown is only about 100 miles from Pittsburgh. That's a lot of TV's.

Yes, I lived in the suburbs of DC for almost 30 years and you see as much WVU apparel as you do UMD, UVA. Still not as much as Tech though.

I was curious about this because I had a debate with a friend about whether people in DC even followed college ball or if it was more "pro" related.

someone explain to me - how does WVU draw pittsburgh? I would have thought between Pitt and Penn St, the state's pretty locked up viewership wise

Pittsburgh is just a little more than an hour north of Morgantown.

VN Store

Back