Expansion Rumor

Hopefully this possible legal litigation keeps A&M out. I don't really care what school it is, they're killing tradition by adding another school. The SEC has been successful due in part to strict adherence to tradition. The ACC expansion teams took the easy way out and look at what that conference is like now.

Clemson will never leave, they really don't compete for a division title as it is now, so why would they come play in the SEC and be lower tier when they can at least be top half in the ACC. And Clemson's facilities aren't even coming close to what the bigger SEC have (and not being biased Tennessee has the best far and away that i have seen so far).

Hopefully this possible legal litigation keeps A&M out. I don't really care what school it is, they're killing tradition by adding another school. The SEC has been successful due in part to strict adherence to tradition. The ACC expansion teams took the easy way out and look at what that conference is like now.

Even if it keeps them out right now, they will join the second their Big 12 contract expires and there are no legal ramifications.

As for the ACC, it seemed very logical to add powerhouse Miami and strong players like BC and VT. In fact, I would say their expansion made them even better, seeing as VT has dominated and BC was in the title mix only a few years ago.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

To write off a school like Florida State because they already exist in the SEC footprint is to forget to put on your thinking cap. The Florida State Seminoles have a national brand. Everybody watches Florida State. From all over the country.

Thank you for stating it better than I have been trying to do. SEC football is already on national TV. It is about programming content now. Content is going to drive this. If the SEC has more, better games than the PAC-12 or B1G Ten, then we will naturally have more viewers.

FSU has a bunch of bandwagon fans.

Clemson will never leave, they really don't compete for a division title as it is now, so why would they come play in the SEC and be lower tier when they can at least be top half in the ACC. And Clemson's facilities aren't even coming close to what the bigger SEC have (and not being biased Tennessee has the best far and away that i have seen so far).

Don't underestimate IPTAY cash if they enter the SEC. They are East Auburn.

Parting shot: I would like to urge people on this board to think for themselves and to not regurgitage what they hear or read. Because if you actually think about how this particular arrangement works, it woldn't be the case that everybody and their moron cousin incessantly talks about extending into a new geographical footprint. Now I realize that some people in this world are just not particulary bright and unable of forming thoughts on their own...but at least try.

Thank you for this post. We have a bunch of sheep in here.

Downgrade; in fact, the whole expansion madness threatens to really hurt college football, SEC in particular. Why mess with success?

Actually I would love to see Free Shoes University in the SEC. They fit right in with the rest of us that worry the NCAA. FSU is a natural if they want to play with the big boys all of the time - which they haven't in the past. If the Tarheels are not in the mix, I would take either Va Tech or WVA. We need more hillbillies in the SEC since we have been holding that flag up by ourselves for so long.

You don't really know what you're talking about here.

Yes I do....but it really doesn't matter. You'll have to compare E-Johnsons with someone else.

Parting shot: I would like to urge people on this board to think for themselves and to not regurgitage what they hear or read. Because if you actually think about how this particular arrangement works, it woldn't be the case that everybody and their moron cousin incessantly talks about extending into a new geographical footprint. Now I realize that some people in this world are just not particulary bright and unable of forming thoughts on their own...but at least try.

Unnecessary and arrogant to the extreme.....but there seemingly always has to be one in every thread.

Again.....for those who weren't paying attention. It has ZERO to do with WV's fanbase or television ratings. WV is the price of admission for the TV market. POTENTIAL viewers is what sells advertising. Advertising is what pays for giant TV contracts. The main thing WV brings is geography. They are nestled quietly between several VERY populated areas......that means TENS-OF-MILLIONS of potential new SEC viewers. And that means more money from ESPN into the conference contract. Posted via VolNation Mobile

I disagree. The fan base and TV ratings do play a role. Advertisers don't pay much for ****ty ratings.

I don't think I like the whole expansion deal, especially to 16 teams. Which of the classic rivalries get trashed to add the new teams to schedules? Anyone want to give up UT/Al? No, I don't think so. Kentucky and Vandy go back to the beginning of time. I'm not usually one of those people that clings to tradition, but in this case, it's what makes the SEC legendary. If nothing else, you add conference games and remove nonconference games.

I disagree. The fan base and TV ratings do play a role. Advertisers don't pay much for ****ty ratings.

If we're talking about a Tuesday night sitcom you are correct. We are talking about a televison contract that encompasses an entire conference of teams, and a large part of the United States. The interest comes from the matchups more than the individual teams. This is the only weakness I see in WVU. Do we really care?

Again, I'm not arguing for or against WVU....just looking at this from a business standpoint.

They are over rated!

How are they over rated? Its one game into the season. They could end up #1. Not saying they will but its possible. Nobody knew AU would last year. Again I'm not saying they are a champ team but 1 game into the season for a top 10 team nothing says they are overrated. If they lose to a crappy team then yeah.

I hear a lot of talk about ACC teams but in reality, if we are talking about (4) 16 team superconferences here is how I see it.

PAC 12, SEC, Big Ten, ACC.

I'm not so sure that the SEC is going to mess with ACC teams since the ACC seems pretty solid as a conference. It MIGHT be more likely that we draw a team out of the Big East since the Big East would likely crumble. Or draw another team like Mizzou, out of the Big 12, since it will likely crumble. I don't know, just food for thought.

However, if a team did bolt the ACC, I could see the ACC taking some teams out of the Big East to fill the gap left.

I don't understand based on the way Tennessee has play the past few years how we can judge other teams. Clemson is a good team that has had it's share of mediocre years as of of late much like us. Last time we played them they took it to us pretty good. As for facilities you obviously just made that up & have never seen them.

I've shot Clemson the last 4 yrs, I've been everywhere but the locker room, but seen enough pictures of it to know. As far as IPTAY, I don't think they would raise enough cash to bring everything up to compete with what the SEC has. There has been 1 ballgame in the last 4 yrs i've done that has been close to selling out and that was FSU, tickets can be bought on gameday for 7 each (no matter who they play or when you buy them).

Unnecessary and arrogant to the extreme.....but there seemingly always has to be one in every thread.

As in there seemingly always has to be one in every thread who comprehensively refutes your argument?

I would sure hope so. It was a bad argument. Step up your game and you won't have to come back with "he's being a meany" comebacks.

As in there seemingly always has to be one in every thread who comprehensively refutes your argument?

Like who? I'm quite certain you have me confused with someone else? Aside from your well laid out opinion piece, who has refuted me in what threads?

I would sure hope so. It was a bad argument. Step up your game and you won't have to come back with "he's being a meany" comebacks.
It's not an argument at all. It is the reality of the situation. I have a little knowledge of what I speak, and really don't need your validation.

I said your approach was arrogant, not mean. Your parting shot was simply an electronic means of marking your territory.
Your big- dog status on here is unscathed, don't worry.

When all of this plays out you and I will both know who was right however.

VN Store

Back