"Ex-Vols Relish Jones Call"....Volquest

Vol talent is better than their record. OL returns in tact and will be very good. RB's especially Lane were playing well by end of year. DL & LB's came on last year and will be a good units next year. QB is a question mark but even if Bray leaves one of the other two can be servicable. IF that is IF Jones can get a couple of WR's that can play (Pig is probably one - need someone else to step up) and Moore comes on at safety to be the run stopper they need and someone steps up on the corner this could be a pretty good team. How that translates in W's depends on how the teams on the schedule come on.

Kelly went to 2 BCS bowls and went 17-4 in conference.

Jones went to 0 BCS bowls and went 12-9 in conference.

Tennessee has more resources than Cincinnati does, but Alabama/LSU/Florida/Georgia have a lot more resources than South Florida/UConn/Louisville/Rutgers as well.

As an impartial commentor just stay down dude. You've been butch slapped all over this thread and you keep trying to get up. Just stay down.

Reactions: 1 person

Tennessee has more resources than Cincinnati does, but Alabama/LSU/Florida/Georgia have a lot more resources than South Florida/UConn/Louisville/Rutgers as well.

The first year Jones was at Cincinnati the cupboard was a bit bare. Kelly's last team was senior laden with not much coming behind them. Kelly saw it coming and would have moved on to any descent job. ND was a blessing for him. Jones went 4-8 in that first year. Doubt Kelly would have done any better had he stayed.

He was a conference champion and you want to take that away from him. That's different from going to a BCS bowl. You have been obscenely wrong through this thread in a sad effort to misinform.

This is actually a serious question. I guess I just don't understand how Dooley could have a Vol For Life program (which I thought was a good idea) and not want former Vols around? Did he tell former players to stay away?

That does seem like a nearly schizophrenic attitude, doesn't it?

Ahhhh yes, that, felt the same when I read it, sounded like Overstreet was being very "nice" with how he was putting it as well...I don't get how/why Dooley treated the former players like he did.

Dooley was on a much, much bigger stage here than at La. (alphabet soup city) and he was likely so insecure/job scared (even with the big contract) he didn't want any scrutiny of his methods, thus not wanting any lettermen visiting and generating any criticism. In a way he was his own worst enemy.

Not at all. just trying to be realistic. If you win games, the former players come to you. Unless former players can help recruit, sounds like he's kissing butt or trying to get autographs. Another recruit turned Ut down yesterday, QB will grier(i think From NC), going to FLA. This is getting emberassing, Coaches and players turning us down left and right in the national spotlight, and CBJ out there talking to former players. We lost our best 3 players, got a brutal schedule, and he's reliving the 90's.

Are you really that stupid?:crazy:

Reactions: 3 people
Can the ex-vols be involved during recruits official visits? Seeing them and talking to them might be a big selling point unless its a violation.

Can they be involved in the games? I mean, can we suit them up and put them on the field?

Unreal how this new coach is. Tennessee might have stumbled ass backwards into lighting Into the proverbial bottle.

As the song says... You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find... You get what you need.

GBO!
I saw Butch today at the reception.
Glass of orange Kool Aide in hand.
I knew that he would make a connection,
With the broken and battered Vol fans.

Said you can't always get what you want...

Reactions: 2 people
He's making $3 million per year with a so-so record in crappy conferences, so he better be doing everything right and working about 18 hours a day. I don't care about his family. I care about 4 and 5* recruits and wins.

What a silly post.

He's reaching out to former players so if he tanks it for 3 years we don't run him out of town. Otherwise whats the point. You have to earn respect in these parts. CBJ ain't earned crap yet. He needs to stop worrying bout what former players think of him and worry about what FUTURE players think of him. I like CBJ, but he hasn't proved anything yet. It's hard to rally behind a coach that was the 5th or 6th choice with mediocre success in bad conferences.

How did this GARBAGE post get 3 likes?? What is the point in constant negativity? So far the man is doing all anyone can ask for yet all you can do is whine....

Reactions: 1 person
The first year Jones was at Cincinnati the cupboard was a bit bare. Kelly's last team was senior laden with not much coming behind them. Kelly saw it coming and would have moved on to any descent job. ND was a blessing for him. Jones went 4-8 in that first year. Doubt Kelly would have done any better had he stayed.

Haven't you realized that posters do not want fact on which to base their comments. They don't do much research and rely on other posters who also don't do research. Jones did a remarkable job with what he inherited. I am not saying Kelly was not a good coach. I AM SAYING THAT JONES HAS A A RECORD OF COACHING-TEACHING FOOTBALL TO 2-3 STAR PLAYERS. He will recruit better players at Tennessee and he will teach them to be better players who are capable of playing in the NFL. The more I see/hear him the more impressed I am of he coaching talents.

He's making $3 million per year with a so-so record in crappy conferences, so he better be doing everything right and working about 18 hours a day. I don't care about his family. I care about 4 and 5* recruits and wins.

Wow this guy sounds like Dooley all negative and glass half empty kind of guy . Glad coach jones is bringing back the guys that made being a Vol something to be proud of maybe this will rub off on the guys now . Go Vols!!!!

The good news is that the support staff is not in a panic because a coaster is out of place on coach's desk.

OCD is everybody's problem.

He was a conference champion and you want to take that away from him. That's different from going to a BCS bowl. You have been obscenely wrong through this thread in a sad effort to misinform.

Hey, if you guys love Butch Jones so much that you want to seriously suggest that there were four Big East champions last year, go ahead. However, if he coached anywhere but UT, I'm pretty sure your attitudes would change.

Again, to borrow a Vietnam War-era metaphor, this is a classic grassroots "win the hearts and minds of the people" strategy. Coach Jones knows that he will never have a more receptive audience, as ambassadors of the program, than former players. I think Coach Jones is "crazy as a fox," i.e. always working in a calculated, strategic manner in everything that he does. Right now, we are in a dead period, in terms of recruiting, so he works on another front, one that he knows will generate not only good will but buzz and excitement as we move forward.

:ermm: Hopefully get can get better results than we did in the Vietnam war.

As an impartial commentor just stay down dude. You've been butch slapped all over this thread and you keep trying to get up. Just stay down.

Anyone who seriously uses the term "butch slapped" has an opinion that's worthless to me.

But hey, maybe every one-loss team last year was a national champion too. Congrats Houston!

Lots of places are in the 21st century, Watertown certainly isn't and you are proof of that.

lol we got everything redneck just like your town.. We even got the world wide web up in dis mutha. 21st century..lmao...what a joke..What, you get the iphones b4 we do?

lol we got everything redneck just like your town.. We even got the world wide web up in dis mutha. 21st century..lmao...what a joke..What, you get the iphones b4 we do?

Hey Debbie Downer. I bet you look just like your Avi. I'll bet you're a real fun person to work with, you know, with your positive attitude and all.

VN Store

Back