"Ex-Vols Relish Jones Call"....Volquest

My question never changed. It just took you like 10 posts to finally answer that it was because of "injuries." 21-1 against teams with 7 or fewer wins, 2-13 against teams with 8+. If you think that's a great sign of success in this league, good for you. I hope you're right. But if he becomes some great coach with a record like that, he would certainly be the first one.
You need to reread it. Didnt say it was just injuries. I said he also didnt get many opportunities to beat teams in the big east with 8+ wins because there wasnt many. Its also a little different losing your starting QB 2 straight yrs and other starters because you cant stack talent on top of talent at schools like Cincy or other Big East Schools. Understand? Or do I need to simplify it even further?

Just judging from experience with him. That will not be OK. It will irritate him to no end and make anything positive you say or believe a personal offence to him.

Agreed. He is just looking for excuses to be negative instead of embracing CBJ and giving him a chance. Saban and Tressel are just 2 examples of not knowing what you have in a coach until getting that big time opportunity. Pete Carrol is another.

I am not totally sold... I am still in a wait and see area...

but that being said.... I like the things CBJ is doing, I hope he can win and beat Saban, that is the question

But you're not giving your undying support, so go cheer for Bama. It doesn't matter that some people are taking the wait see attitude, you're not a "true fan" if your not a 110% behind the hire.

Some people on here better hope that CBJ doesn't come to a sudden stop or they'll end up with broken necks.

Reactions: 2 people
No. It isn't. L'ville had better players. Pitt had better players. WVU had better players. Syracuse had better players. USF had better players and a MUCH better recruiting situation. UConn had better players when he arrived. Even Rutgers probably had better players....

So exactly WHAT was incorrect?

Are you referring to the 2011 Louisville team that went 7-6? The 2012 USF team that went 3-9?

Can you give me the year of Cincinnati's mythical victory over WVU?

I don't know why I'm asking. Now that you look like an idiot, you'll obviously leave the thread for good.

Last edited:
They were ranked #8 at the time. Ok so Auburn won 22 the past 2 yrs but had a god awful yr this yr. Bad seasons happen and CBJ followed it up with 19 wins the last 2. Keep bringing dude, got answers that show you continue to be wrong.

You're using Gene Chizik to say that bad seasons happen?

If Jones is the next Chizik, we are completely screwed.

Agreed. He is just looking for excuses to be negative instead of embracing CBJ and giving him a chance. Saban and Tressel are just 2 examples of not knowing what you have in a coach until getting that big time opportunity. Pete Carrol is another.

Saban inherited a team under NCAA sanctions, beat the #1 team in the country and led his team to its best season in 30 years.

Tressel dominated his peers before he got to OSU.

Carroll made the playoffs in the NFL.

Butch Jones has done none of those things. Great coaches do things like that: lead their teams to unprecedented success, pull huge upsets, dominate the leagues they're in. You can say I'm just being a meanie all you want, but that's not going to change the fact that Butch Jones was 0-for-3 in those categories at Cincinnati. I strongly encourage you to, by all means, correct me if I'm wrong.

Saban inherited a team under NCAA sanctions, beat the #1 team in the country and led his team to its best season in 30 years.

Butch Jones has done none of those things. Great coaches do things like that: lead their teams to unprecedented success, pull huge upsets, dominate the leagues they're in. You can say I'm just being a meanie all you want, but that's not going to change the fact that Butch Jones was 0-for-3 in those categories at Cincinnati. I strongly encourage you to, by all means, correct me if I'm wrong.

My point being when he got to LSU his record and accomplishments werent even close to CBJ. And Ohio St had no clue what they would have in Tressel.Again I am saying he has dont nothing to deserve not to be given a chance. My point on Chizzik was bad seasons happen to everyone. Saban had numerous 6 win seasons and has lost to UL Laf or Mon and lost to UAB at LSU. I am done arguing with you, its obvious itz all you wanna do and dont even have anything valid. If you dont like him then dont support him, simple as that. Ignore the idiot time now though. Sad I have to dumb myself down just to argue with you.

Oh and thats all I have done was correct you. Last thing i will say is all 3I coach's were like Jones before really becoming successful and Jones has better numbers all day. So yes you have been corrected and continue to argue when you are incorrect.

Oh and thats all I have done was correct you. Last thing i will say is all 3I coach's were like Jones before really becoming successful and Jones has better numbers all day. So yes you have been corrected and continue to argue when you are incorrect.

I think we have different definitions of what "correcting" someone means. Unless, of course, you can point to something I've said at any point in this thread that was incorrect. (Hint: You can't.)

It's the same posters every time. Either trolling or something is wrong upstairs.

Not sure who you're talking about, but my response to GA was pretty reasonable, no? It's only when dumbass over here came in saying "Jones will definitely be great, if you disagree you're just wrong" that the thread got derailed.

What was unearthed today/recently that you speak of?

Nothing really. I already knew he didn't exactly make it easy for lettermen. I guess just hearing it first hand from a player like Will.

"I think it meant a lot to be invited, especially after the last coaching staff kind of made it a hard thing to do to say it very kindly," former defensive end Will Overstreet said. "I think to kind of get back more to where coach (Phillip) Fulmer had it in 'Hey this is a family.

I've found that things I have found outside of my radar have shown to be the true difference makers in life.

I would agree that is often the case, and i hope it is here as well....

I just don't think I want to go blindly into the darkness following a coach like I did with Dooley. (I don't think I am alone here however)

I want CBJ to do well, but this is the SEC and we have in this conference some of the best coaches in the nation. It will take a real hidden gem to overcome this challenge.

I just felt we needed a BIG NAME hire to compete with Saban and the rest of the SEC, hopefully I will be proved wrong

As I said earlier, I will give CBJ the benefit of the doubt, and I do like what he has done so far....

But you're not giving your undying support, so go cheer for Bama. It doesn't matter that some people are taking the wait see attitude, you're not a "true fan" if your not a 110% behind the hire.

Some people on here better hope that CBJ doesn't come to a sudden stop or they'll end up with broken necks.

I didn't agree with the Dooley hire either... how did that work out for you? :)

I just don't think I want to go blindly into the darkness following a coach like I did with Dooley. (I don't think I am alone here however)

It will take a real hidden gem to overcome this challenge.

It was from a different time period and era, but UT football was in a similar state of mediocrity back in the 1960s when Doug Dickey was hired, unknown by almost everyone, young (31) and with no head coaching experience, and that turned out to be a brilliant move by Bob Woodruff, at least initially, before DD turned into a Judas Iscariot. One of the local community newspapers in Knox County related the story. So, most hope that something along those lines occurs, even in this more competitive, "win-now" environment of today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Nothing really. I already knew he didn't exactly make it easy for lettermen. I guess just hearing it first hand from a player like Will.

"I think it meant a lot to be invited, especially after the last coaching staff kind of made it a hard thing to do to say it very kindly," former defensive end Will Overstreet said. "I think to kind of get back more to where coach (Phillip) Fulmer had it in 'Hey this is a family.

Ahhhh yes, that, felt the same when I read it, sounded like Overstreet was being very "nice" with how he was putting it as well...I don't get how/why Dooley treated the former players like he did.

It was from a different time period and era, but UT football was in a similar state of mediocrity back in the 1960s when Doug Dickey was hired, unknown by almost everyone, young (31) and with no head coaching experience, and that turned out to be a brilliant move by Bob Woodruff, at least initially, before DD turned into a Judas Iscariot. One of the local community newspapers in Knox County related the story. So, most hope that something along those lines occurs, even in this more competitive, "win-now" environment of today.

I certainly remember some of his early teams.... I remember when he left Tennessee for Florida, reporters were asking, "Why would he ever leave the machine he had at Tennessee" ha ha ha

Life is way too short for so many posters to be so caught up in whether CBJ will be successful at UT. He's the head coach and I will support him and the team until he isn't our coach.

Reactions: 2 people

Didn't he win outright or share 4 out of 6 conference championships before he came here? Sure, he had Brian Kelly's players but he didn't just not fail, he maintained a level of success with them. He actually recruited at a slightly higher level than Brian Kelly while at Cincinnati. That was at Cincinnati and Central Michigan...here, he'll have far more money and resources. I think he will do pretty well.

Didn't he win outright or share 4 out of 6 conference championships before he came here? Sure, he had Brian Kelly's players but he didn't just not fail, he maintained a level of success with them. He actually recruited at a slightly higher level than Brian Kelly while at Cincinnati. That was at Cincinnati and Central Michigan...here, he'll have far more money and resources. I think he will do pretty well.

Kelly went to 2 BCS bowls and went 17-4 in conference.

Jones went to 0 BCS bowls and went 12-9 in conference.

Tennessee has more resources than Cincinnati does, but Alabama/LSU/Florida/Georgia have a lot more resources than South Florida/UConn/Louisville/Rutgers as well.

VN Store

Back