ESPN looks at transfers of Chryst and London

Chryst going to win the job only because this is Pruitt guy. Chryst is just more proven than JG. 1st year coach wants to get off on a strong note. Pruitt attitude is win now

Like you said, Pruitt wants to win now, in 2018. So if JG, who’s been here since day 1 of the Pruitt era, which includes the entirety of JP’s first Spring practice period....thoroughly outplays a rusty Chryst who’s gotta learn everything from scratch when he gets here in June, you still think Chryst starts because he’s “Pruitt guy”?

Call me crazy, but Jeremy doesn’t strike me as a guy who’s just gonna hand a guy a position he hasn’t earned, whether he’s “his guy” or not.

And by that logic, Shrout is as much, probably more “Pruitt guy” than Chryst....so is the QB battle between those 2, with JG the odd man out and not even in the conversation?

I have an alternate thought here.

How about, Pruitt looked at the roster when he got here and realized he had exactly 1 SEC QB on the roster, Jarrett Guarantano. He immediately understood that McBride can’t play in this league, and he immediately understood that JG wasn’t necessarily a shoe-in to be his QB in 2018, since JG showed some pretty significant weaknesses last year and needs a lot of work to become the top flight SEC qb he needs to win big here.

So, in the spirit of adding depth and promoting competition in the QB room, two things he badly needed to strengthen the most important position on a football team, he went the quick fix route and signed Chryst.

And rather than just automatically handing Chryst the job, i’d wager he’s thinking more along these lines.....Chryst comes in, competes to be the starter and either wins the job or makes JG much better and Pruitt creates a win-win situation for himself....he gets a better starter either way, whether it’s JG or Chryst, and he has a much better QB depth situation, with those 2, rather than what he’d have had without bringing an experienced upperclassman in Chryst in.

Reactions: 6 people
Like you said, Pruitt wants to win now, in 2018. So if JG, who’s been here since day 1 of the Pruitt era, which includes the entirety of JP’s first Spring practice period....thoroughly outplays a rusty Chryst who’s gotta learn everything from scratch when he gets here in June, you still think Chryst starts because he’s “Pruitt guy”?

Call me crazy, but Jeremy doesn’t strike me as a guy who’s just gonna hand a guy a position he hasn’t earned, whether he’s “his guy” or not.

And by that logic, Shrout is as much, probably more “Pruitt guy” than Chryst....so is the QB battle between those 2, with JG the odd man out and not even in the conversation?

How about, Pruitt looked at the roster when he got here and realized he had exactly 1 SEC QB on the roster, Jarrett Guarantano. He immediately understood that McBride can’t play in this league, and he immediately understood that JG wasn’t necessarily a shoe-in to be his QB in 2018, since JG showed some pretty significant weaknesses last year and needs a lot of work to become the top flight SEC qb he needs to win big here.

So, in the spirit of adding depth and promoting competition in the QB room, two things he badly needed to strengthen the most important position on a football team, he went the quick fix route and signed Chryst.

And rather than just automatically handing Chryst the job, i’d wager he’s thinking more along these lines.....Chryst comes in, competes to be the starter and either wins the job or makes JG much better and Pruitt creates a win-win situation for himself....he gets a better starter either way, whether it’s JG or Chryst, and he has a much better QB depth situation, with those 2, rather than what he’d have had without bringing an experienced upperclassman in Chryst in.

some reason in my mind I just can't see JG being a backup that can keep a team first face on. Maybe it's the :dunno: GT game. So if JG wins the start great if not we may not have the depth some think.

Reactions: 1 person
Chryst going to win the job only because this is Pruitt guy. Chryst is just more proven than JG. 1st year coach wants to get off on a strong note. Pruitt attitude is win now

Eh Chryst is a Pruitt guy inasmuch as we needed a Grad Transfer to solidify depth and/or come in and start and he's what we could get. If Pruitt and Helton had been able to go out and have their pick of any guy they wanted or we'd been able to hold on to Martinez and get him on campus in January, I doubt Chryst would be on our team right now.

It's not like our coaches were salivating at the prospect that we could go snag a backup QB from Stanford. We just had a need and he was available.

A lot of logic to what you say here KB. McBride is not in a position to challenge JG from what we saw in the spring game, but Chryst could make it interesting. I thought JG looked pretty sharp in the spring game and think Chryst will have a hard time beating him out. But the competition will be good for JG. I still remember Pruitt's comment (paraphrasing here) to the effect that We'll know who our QB is by the 4th quarter of the WV game. So assuming JG starts that game - and barring injury I don't see how he would NOT be starting that game - it will still be his job to lose.

Chryst will be our starting QB.

I'm encouraged by J Gaurantano's development over the spring.
Chryst has never set the world on fire. But...he's 11-2. Those weren't all cupcake gimmie games.

If Chryst wins.
Look for JT Shrout to be the man in 2019.

I'm encouraged by J Gaurantano's development over the spring.
Chryst has never set the world on fire. But...he's 11-2. Those weren't all cupcake gimmie games.

If Chryst wins.

I doubt that Shrout starts over a Sr. quarterback as a redshirt freshman.

Eh....that 11-2 as a starter stat is insanely misleading.

7 of those wins came against teams with a combined record of 25-63. For teams like Stanford fielded in 2016 and 2017, those are gimme games.

In 2 of those wins he's getting credit for (2016 UNC and 2017 UCLA), he appeared in a total of about 2 and a half quarters (Was injured in the 2nd quarter of the UNC game and 1st quarter of the UCLA game).

So really it's more like he's 9-2. And 7 of those wins were against pretty bad teams who Stanford had clearly outclassed talent wise.

If Chryst wins.

That wouldn't surprise me. JG will graduate this year and he'll have a lot of options. I'm not sure he sticks around if he doesn't win the job in 2019.

I just want to let people know that im not against JG its just unfortunate that we had a 4-8 season with a new coach coming in its going to be tough for his future here at Tennessee. Its just hard to justify a 4-8 record last year. Granted it wasn't all his fault. I see him transferring by the next spring. Shrout is the future of the program only because the new coach factor and its Pruitt's recruit. Its just like a new GM come to a team he going to want to draft his guys. I see him bringing in Chryst just to be effective and to keep the team going in the right direction. Shrout going to start 2019 season. IMO

It doesn't matter to me who starts on offense as long as they can convert 3rd downs and put points on the board. Same with defense,get off the field on 3rd down and keep them scoring less than us.
I have no favorites who I want to start at any position. I'm a fan of the team(which includes players,coaches,analysts,etc),I want them all to do well. Call me a team worshipper.

VN Store

Back