ESPN looks at transfers of Chryst and London

You start Chryst over JG you pretty much put your program in the hole at the QB position for 3 straight years. Chyrst has this year period. JG gets benched this year, he's gone next year. It becomes either McBride or a freshman for 2019. Hardly promising but say it's a highly valued freshman and you go with him. Then you end up with a shell shocked sophomore at QB for 2020, just like we have now in 2018. Think CJP has 3 years to horse axx around playing musical QBs or "we're young at QB" for 3 years? I'll help you, he doesn't.

Reactions: 2 people
One caveat to this conversation is how JT Shrout fits in with the QB battle. I think it's pretty obvious if Chryst becomes the starter then JG has no future here, which in turn makes Shrout the QB of the future. Even though he wasn't that highly ranked in recruiting, there's some interesting stuff out there about Shrout and his potential. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: 1 person
Not a Steelers fan but I read a few articles with Big Ben not being happy with the pic due to needs elsewhere that he felt were more important. He also stated that he wasn't worried about his job, at all.

That's a cover. Sure they could have used it at some other positions but he is worried about the long term because the Steelers know that Ben has been on the fence about retiring. Ben is thinking about the now and himself but can't cope with the fact that the Steelers are trying to prepare for his departure.

Not saying it’s the same thing, but Peterman had a nice career at Pitt. And to think I was afraid for him to touch the ball for us. Blame that on coaching, experience, or the poor situations he was placed in, but a performance at a prior school doesn’t tell the full story (though it is indicative of what you can probably expect). Who knows what the change in environment could do for him. Chryst could come in and make a big impact. With that said, I think JG is our starter, but don’t count Chryst out because he lost his job at Stanford.

Reactions: 3 people
ESPN looks at impact transfers Chryst, London can have with Vols
These guys can change our football team in a hurry, just for being here. Their leadership, playing time, and knowledge could ignite us into something big. We have Kenneth George Jr. that can also give some leadership on the field. These guys have something to prove, and I believe they are going to prove to us why they came here, to help the coaching staff out in a big way. Expect Chryst to push our quarterbacks to better heights. Expect London to do the same, and be a horse at running back. These guys are winners in my book, just to be here at rocky top.
Oh by the way, thanks for coming to the hill.
Go vols.:rock::peace2:

How bad can it be if the guy who lost his job to KJ Costello is going to push our QBs?

Nobody knows for sure what will happen, who will start and who will be #2.

But I do think its quite ridiculous to try to argue or even imply that our OL can't be any better than they were at the end of last season. There will be some new faces there, and other guys should be a bit older and stronger than before. We'll see.

Exactly. OL is one of the most technique driven positions in the game. Assuming the coaching is significantly better, the effort improves and the new S&C program bulks them up some, I don't see why they can't be competitive. Maybe not dominant, but competitive.

As for the QB, we all better hope that Chryst can play. Even if JG wins the starting job, he still has to stay healthy all season. That is a task in and of itself in the SEC.

Exactly. OL is one of the most technique driven positions in the game. Assuming the coaching is significantly better, the effort improves and the new S&C program bulks them up some, I don't see why they can't be competitive. Maybe not dominant, but competitive.

As for the QB, we all better hope that Chryst can play. Even if JG wins the starting job, he still has to stay healthy all season. That is a task in and of itself in the SEC.
The biggest concern on the OL is depth, IMO.

If we somehow have everybody healthy most of the season, we should field a decent starting 5.

But we’re only an injury or two away from having to insert freshmen or guys with no game experience, which is far from ideal.

If Chryst loses the job to Guarantano, that mean JG is the real deal, and we should go 6-6 easily.

I highly doubt that. Chryst looks the part and has won a ton of games.

11 wins in 3 years at Stanford, which won 31 games total during his time there, is “a ton of games”?

Chryst is not a proven winner. As a matter of fact, if he was proven at all he'd be either the starter at Stanford or at a rookie mini camp in the NFL right now. Seems to me all he's been is a highly touted QB recruit that didn't live up to the hype.

Hope it works out and he makes us better one way or the other. I just don't see him as the game changer that some on here seem think he is.

Got More wins than JG by a lot.

Who cares who starts as long as they win us games?

I agree with this sentiment for the most part.

However, we're obviously better off in the long run if JG earns the job over Chryst. Going into 2019 for the 3rd season in a row without an established starter would be rough unless we pull in a big time QB in the 2019 class.

That's not to say that I'm rooting against Chryst or that I think the coaches should give JG the job or anything like that. I just think our best case scenario is JG outplaying Chryst, earning the starting job, starting most of our games, and going into 2019 with plenty of experiene.

Ok Jackwagon. Much better record ie.. winning percentage. How bout that criteria

Selective cherry picking. Helps when you’re forming a narrative. :) There is NOTHING “much” whilst discussing Keller Chryst...unless you put “He hasn’t done” in front of it. :wink2:

I agree with this sentiment for the most part.

However, we're obviously better off in the long run if JG earns the job over Chryst. Going into 2019 for the 3rd season in a row without an established starter would be rough unless we pull in a big time QB in the 2019 class.

That's not to say that I'm rooting against Chryst or that I think the coaches should give JG the job or anything like that. I just think our best case scenario is JG outplaying Chryst, earning the starting job, starting most of our games, and going into 2019 with plenty of experiene.

While I agree with starting a younger quarterback so he can get experience what good is it if that quarterback is losing games?

Also, what is the difference in one of the quarterbacks sitting back another year and getting more experience and then playing the next year as a starter? Without Chryst we have atleadt 3 scholarship quarterbacks (including Shrout) each can improve more and learn more in another year.

To say they need real game experience is sort of true but if they don't produce as a young quarterback this year as a starter what's to say they will improve the next year? I think it's a double edged sword.

I just want whoever plays to produce wins and have chemistry with the team. That is what matters to me. If a quarterback wants to play they will find a way to improve to get on the field that's part of the competition.

While I agree with starting a younger quarterback so he can get experience what good is it if that quarterback is losing games?

Also, what is the difference in one of the quarterbacks sitting back another year and getting more experience and then playing the next year as a starter? Without Chryst we have atleadt 3 scholarship quarterbacks (including Shrout) each can improve more and learn more in another year.

To say they need real game experience is sort of true but if they don't produce as a young quarterback this year as a starter what's to say they will improve the next year? I think it's a double edged sword.

I just want whoever plays to produce wins and have chemistry with the team. That is what matters to me. If a quarterback wants to play they will find a way to improve to get on the field that's part of the competition.

I agree with almost all of this. That's why I said I think our best case scenario is JG outperforming Chryst and earning the job.

Of course, if Chryst turns out to be total garbage and JG earns the job by default, that's not exactly promising either.

I agree with almost all of this. That's why I said I think our best case scenario is JG outperforming Chryst and earning the job.

Of course, if Chryst turns out to be total garbage and JG earns the job by default, that's not exactly promising either.

Agreed on all fronts.

Chryst will be our starting QB.

I’ll give butch one thing he knows talent when it comes to qb’s. Just , like any other position, couldn’t fit/teach them to the right place, (except Dobbs, he just did his thing). JG with proper coaching will be our starter. Chryst is here to be our backup, which isn’t a bad thing.

Last edited:
Chryst going to win the job only because this is Pruitt guy. Chryst is just more proven than JG. 1st year coach wants to get off on a strong note. Pruitt attitude is win now

VN Store

Back