ESPN Can't Afford Anything (merged)

But my point, you can cut cable and still watch espn is true, thats all i said.

I don't consider buying Sling, PS Vue, Direct TV Go, or Hulu as truly "cutting cable." Hell, Sling and Direct TV Go are products offered by a satellite dish company. You're still buying a package of channels from a provider.

When I think of cord cutting I think of people who don't any provider period and either don't watch TV at all, watch Netflix only, or illegally stream stuff.

What people want is a true a la carte model where you can say "I want ESPN, this channel, and that channel" and you pay per month for just those channels. You create your own "package" of channels. That model does not exist yet. Sling, et al are services that are headed in that direction but aren't all the way there.

I don't consider buying Sling, PS Vue, Direct TV Go, or Hulu as truly "cutting cable." Hell, Sling and Direct TV Go are products offered by a satellite dish company. You're still buying a package of channels from a provider.

When I think of cord cutting I think of people who don't any provider period and either don't watch TV at all, watch Netflix only, or illegally stream stuff.

What people want is a true a la carte model where you can say "I want ESPN, this channel, and that channel" and you pay per month for just those channels. You create your own "package" of channels. That model does not exist yet. Sling, et al are services that are headed in that direction but aren't all the way there.

I consider cutting cable as people that cut their subscription to cable tv. Most people follow that with a subscription to a much cheaper internet streaming service.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm amazed Thursday night football is still a thing . The matchups are usually aweful

The worst TNF game of the season was on CBS when the Ravens throttled the Dolphins and it averaged an 8.4 rating throughout the broadcast, which beat all the networks in prime time that night.

People may be watching the NFL less these days, but it's still king.

I'm amazed Thursday night football is still a thing . The matchups are usually aweful

The NFL doesn't care because CBS locked into a multi-year deal to have Thursday night games. They'll continue as long as that contract is in place even if the ratings are crappy.

I think quite a bit of the loss of ratings for the NFL could be due to fantasy football. We have a whole generation now that doesn't really have any real team loyalty. They have the QB from one team and the RB from another. All they're really interested in is the stats those players put up. They can look that up online without actually watching the game, because they don't care about the outcome of the game.

I think quite a bit of the loss of ratings for the NFL could be due to fantasy football. We have a whole generation now that doesn't really have any real team loyalty. They have the QB from one team and the RB from another. All they're really interested in is the stats those players put up. They can look that up online without actually watching the game, because they don't care about the outcome of the game.

I thought that also

That's a really interesting way of looking at it because in years past people pointed to fantasy football as a factor in why the NFL was doing so well, not why it was struggling.

I consider cutting cable as people that cut their subscription to cable tv. Most people follow that with a subscription to a much cheaper internet streaming service.

While those streaming services are cheaper, they are still made up of packages that require paying "per-subscriber" fees to the networks.

While those streaming services are cheaper, they are still made up of packages that require paying "per-subscriber" fees to the networks.

Yep - that's the point that I was trying to make to him. The streaming services might be cheaper and more a la carte-style but they still involve buying a package of channels. Sling and Direct TV Go are even owned by satellite/cable companies (Dish and AT&T respectively). That isn't true "cord cutting," IMO.

The cord cutters I know don't subscribe to anything, or just pay for Netflix, because they don't like how all the other options force you into buying packages. Or they just don't watch much TV and will illegally stream something that they do want to watch.

Red zone. I watch NFL all day on Sundays, but I go to the bar and watch the Lions, then head home to watch red zone. I watch it but I am not considered a rating for that day.

how many people became Bronco fans when Peyton went there?

I dont think its so much that they cant afford it, but rather is just not as profitable for them anymore.

For several reason, but the better matchup is usually Sunday night where it used to always be Monday.

The NFL is not really putting a good product on the field. Most teams are not good.

BINGO!!! The problem starts with the QB position. There's 7-15 QB's in this league, the rest are below average (Sorry D4H I know your boy should be a pro bowler).

The zone read that so many teams have gone to is so much more difficult in the NFL due to the speed on the Defense. A lot of these kids rarely had to read a defense in college past their 1st option. The NFL is a whole new ball game.

Yeah i know, thats why i dont think its a major cause. I think its because MNF isnt very good anymore. The product in the NFL is declining. There are not enough good players to form 32 solid teams. SNF is usually the better match up. Couple that with the protest. The rise of soccer to the younger generation. The cost of everything surrounding the nfl.

But my point, you can cut cable and still watch espn is true, thats all i said.

You were an idiot for saying so. If you cut the cable and watch, they still get paid. That's what matters. Better to just admit you were talking nonsense.

The people who don't pay them, by and large, are not watching them.

You were an idiot for saying so. If you cut the cable and watch, they still get paid. That's what matters. Better to just admit you were talking nonsense.

The people who don't pay them, by and large, are not watching them.

Which is why i dont think cable cutters are a big issue to them, but thanks for the compliment.

Enjoying watching ESPN’s very steep fall. Be glad when another Sports channel pops up and takes the mantle as the Sports Leader, minus all the political propaganda, and ESPN is no more

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back