EA College Football, 2024 (PS5/XSX)

I agree with @Christian Lowe on all fronts. I get what you're saying because getting paid $600 to be in a video game doesn't seem like a lot of money, but all these players are doing is clicking "yes" in an app and having EA Sports do the rest of the work. They aren't providing face scans (yet, we'll see what 2028 brings) or voice/motion capture, EA is just taking a .csv with name/hometown/height/weight/stats and some headshots provided by a school SID and churning through the rosters with a few tweaks here and there.

Each $600 represents one singular character out of 11,000. It'd be a terrible offer to play Lucia in GTA VI and it's low for Shedeur Sanders, but the third string nose guard at UMass and all but around 100 of those players are realistically worth a lot less than $600. I want Tennessee to win and accordingly look forward to having Nico as the gunslinger the next few seasons, but you could replace him with any other top QB and I'll be equally excited because I am a fan of the Vols and not a guy who will be out of the sport in three seasons or less. That mentality separates collegiate fandom from professional fandom, and is part of the reason why UNC Charlotte could have a team full of unidentifiable players and it wouldn't decrease interest one iota.

$3k per player would be $35MM for EA Sports to flesh out rosters in a game that isn't nearly as popular as EA FC or Madden (fewer sales = fewer microtransactions = lower revenue) yet demands significantly more initial development dollars than Madden (134 teams vs. 32). The profit margin just isn't there to go much higher en masse, which is precisely the reason we'll never see College Basketball 2026 or College Baseball 2027 since the development spend/time to do a respectable job with 362 schools greatly outweighs sales potential. Some misguided idiots will ruin all of this in a few years via collective bargaining efforts and force EA to either make future installments with random rosters (which is fine, almost everyone buying the game is doing so for the programs) or scrap it entirely.
there are also a LOT more players on each of those 133 teams.
11,000 college players, over 133 teams.
1,696 NFL players, over 32 teams.
For reference 20 college teams have more players than the entire NFL.

any mascots, stadiums, fight songs, other traditions, just add and add and add, multiplied by 133.

That kind of money can’t go to every player. What I think is being missed here is that the game isn’t a charity. EA isn’t making it to hand out thousands to the third string kicker at Eastern Michigan. EA is a business trying to make money. Paying thousands to every player isn’t realistic and would jack up the price of the game when it’s already going to be $70. It would be great if every player could get $6,000, but that’s a fantasy world.

That kind of money can’t go to every player. What I think is being missed here is that the game isn’t a charity. EA isn’t making it to hand out thousands to the third string kicker at Eastern Michigan. EA is a business trying to make money. Paying thousands to every player isn’t realistic and would jack up the price of the game when it’s already going to be $70. It would be great if every player could get $6,000, but that’s a fantasy world.
Great points. Also EA is doing an “Ambassador Program” with some of the bigger names in college football. I think 25 players so far, who will be signed to an additional NIL deal to promote the game, etc. So, some of those big name guys will be making more than $600.

There are some rare commentary bits in NCAA 14. I got a discussion from Brad and Kirk one time about returning two punts for TDs with the same player once.

In the future they could probably make commentary for almost any conceivable situation using AI.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
There are some rare commentary bits in NCAA 14. I got a discussion from Brad and Kirk one time about returning two punts for TDs with the same player once.

In the future they could probably make commentary for almost any conceivable situation using AI.
Didn’t think about the possibilities with AI

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I'm beyond excited for this game. Probably gonna buy a PS5 to celebrate my excitement when it comes out.

Only if they compensate whoever they model the voices after

EA Devs say a lot of things...................
I haven’t played Madden on a PS5 so I don’t really have a basis for comparison. Judging from what everyone says, it will be a good thing if it plays a lot differently than Madden. Hopefully this developer isn’t just saying things people want to hear.

If it blows Madden away gameplay wise, I hope it will make Madden make their gameplay better for the first time since the PS2 era ended.

Idk though, since this game will never outsell Madden. A man can dream.
I haven't played Madden in years. What's wrong with the gameplay?

First high-profile opt out from the game, albeit from a backup QB.

On a related note, feels pretty likely Texas with Arch starting (provided he doesn't transfer) will be coming to Knoxville next fall so that'll be a fun matchup.

First high-profile opt out from the game, albeit from a backup QB.

On a related note, feels pretty likely Texas with Arch starting (provided he doesn't transfer) will be coming to Knoxville next fall so that'll be a fun matchup.
Wonder why. Definitely not a money thing.

VN Store

Back