Dune: Part Two

Can one of the book readers explain why sandworms don't go underground when a rider is on it? I assume that's what the hooks do, but I don't understand it.

Can one of the book readers explain why sandworms don't go underground when a rider is on it? I assume that's what the hooks do, but I don't understand it.

I don't recall that ever being discussed/explained in the books. Granted I have only read 2 of them so it might be covered.

Reactions: NEO
Correct. The plates lifted by the hooks expose sensetive areas they don't want sand so that rotates to the top and prevents them from "submerging".

I'm going from memory here but that's how I recall the process. I don't recall why the worms don't immediately start thrashing like a hooked trout though. I'm guessing you weren't supposed to think about that too much.

Correct. The plates lifted by the hooks expose sensetive areas they don't want sand so that rotates to the top and prevents them from "submerging".

I'm going from memory here but that's how I recall the process. I don't recall why the worms don't immediately start thrashing like a hooked trout though. I'm guessing you weren't supposed to think about that too much.

Good explanation and Dogs don't thresh around when a flea lands on them. It probably just feels like debris until the hooks go in.

Good explanation and Dogs don't thresh around when a flea lands on them. It probably just feels like debris until the hooks go in.
I don't think a big SW would notice a human just getting on them but if something was irritating enough (setting the hooks in) to change their behavior I'd expect a more pronounced reaction.

It's in the books/script and it works so I'm cool not letting overthinking get in the way.

I don't think a big SW would notice a human just getting on them but if something was irritating enough (setting the hooks in) to change their behavior I'd expect a more pronounced reaction.

It's in the books/script and it works so I'm cool not letting overthinking get in the way.
all of this is going off of memory so I may be off.

the riders can be tossed, its one of the reasons its a right of passage. the sand worms typically will react, and the "driver" has to constantly adjust to make sure they aren't tossed. very difficult for a first timer, it was just another Freemen way it was easy for Muad'dib.

they also talk about other passengers also falling off, so I don't think the books try to sell it as a safe ride.

what never made sense is how all the passengers ride along, you would think all of their hooks would confuse the direction the driver wants the SW to go.

it also is possible for them to ride a worm too long, and kill it. being out of the ground tires them out quicker than being under the sand.

all of this is going off of memory so I may be off.

the riders can be tossed, its one of the reasons its a right of passage. the sand worms typically will react, and the "driver" has to constantly adjust to make sure they aren't tossed. very difficult for a first timer, it was just another Freemen way it was easy for Muad'dib.

they also talk about other passengers also falling off, so I don't think the books try to sell it as a safe ride.

what never made sense is how all the passengers ride along, you would think all of their hooks would confuse the direction the driver wants the SW to go.

it also is possible for them to ride a worm too long, and kill it. being out of the ground tires them out quicker than being under the sand.
I only have the slightest memory to that degree of detail. As you say if it was that simple/safe it wouldn't be a big deal to become a worm rider which it is in the story as you cite.

I was just musing earlier that anything that caused enough irritation to "steer" them one might think a violent reaction would occur. It's hard to imagine something that immense genuinely thrashing around would be anything less than a death sentence. In any case I love the stories (still haven't actually seen 2 yet) and if it's canon they ride sand worms then that's good enough for me.

I only have the slightest memory to that degree of detail. As you say if it was that simple/safe it wouldn't be a big deal to become a worm rider which it is in the story as you cite.

I was just musing earlier that anything that caused enough irritation to "steer" them one might think a violent reaction would occur. It's hard to imagine something that immense genuinely thrashing around would be anything less than a death sentence. In any case I love the stories (still haven't actually seen 2 yet) and if it's canon they ride sand worms then that's good enough for me.
Oh yeah agreed. Not looking at it too closely. I reread the first three before I saw the first remake.

My son and I just watched Part 1. It was great, and we are looking forward to catching Part 2 this weekend.

finally got to watch this. Very good. wish I had waited for it to come out on streaming on something, worst movie viewing experience I have ever had.

1. No AC, felt like we were on site for the movie.
2. Volume was up so loud you could barely understand the conversation, a couple times my ears were ringing after various explosions or other loud moments.
3. The floor barely sloped at all, so even though we were in the back our view sucked.
4. they clearly didn't even attempt to clean up after the previous movie. there was popcorn in my seat when I showed up and the floor was still wet from a spilled drink. smell of popcorn and coke was pretty strong. and people getting up to go to the bathroom or whatever definitely made the sticky shoe sound.
5. none of the rows were marked, only reason we found our seats was because we were in the last row, easy enough to fine. but pretty much every new person/group that came into the theatre sparked a conversation about who was in who's seat.

We watched it in the home theater, and it was amazing. The story was great, the sound and visuals even better. I'll go 5*

VN Store

Back