Don't understand Daniel Hood starting...

Rankings are great and all but just because someone is ranked better doesn't mean they stay that way.
Look up Marcus Dupree.
Why do you cherry pick that comment out and try to use that to support your argument? I just said right after that, that Couch has done nothing to this point to prove that ranking wrong. He had about the same amount of tackles the past 2 seasons that Big Dan Williams had, when he was a senior (and drafted in the 1st Rd).

Hood had 7 tackles in 12 games, last year. Scary to have not only an undersized guy starting, but one with a severe lack of production in his 3 previous years.

If you watched any of the game, then you'd notice that Couch looked better in the game than Hood did...the tipped pass notwithstanding. And if you had watched any games the past few seasons, you'd see that Couch made a LOT more tackles than Hood. Hood had 7 tackles in 12 games last year. Couch had 38.
You been at every practice? Talked to the coaching staff? Maybe you should apply for the dline coach position.

Reactions: 6 people
Why do you cherry pick that comment out and try to use that to support your argument? I just said right after that, that Couch has done nothing to this point to prove that ranking wrong. He had about the same amount of tackles the past 2 seasons that Big Dan Williams had, when he was a senior (and drafted in the 1st Rd).

Hood had 7 tackles in 12 games, last year. Scary to have not only an undersized guy starting, but one with a severe lack of production in his 3 previous years.

why are you living in the past? couch had the same amount of tackles as dan williams... hood had 7 tackles... we've had an entire off season since then.

Reactions: 1 person
It seems to me that Couch is the better talent. But if we are going by last years games Couch was only reliable in spurts. He doesn't seem to be an every down type of player.

depends on who hood lines up against on oregons line.

Mana Greig Sr.-3L* 5-11 287
or

Hamani Stevens Jr.-2L* 6-3 312

Surely you dont think they'd have McCullers lined up against Mana Greig and Hood against Hamani Stevens do you?

Reactions: 4 people
I can understand a coach rewarding a player for showing more hussle...but when the bullets start flying, that slightly better work ethic ain't going to keep 340 OL from putting Hood on his arse.

The Titans tried that approach with Karl Klug, who is about the same size as Hood. He's good in pass rush situations, but he get's thrown around like a rag doll on running downs. Oregon is going to be a run-heavy offense, and we need as much size upfront as we can muster.

Or maybe we need smaller players that can keep up with Oregon's hurry up offense and won't be as easily winded.

I'm not even sure why you're comparing college to NFL to be honest. "This smaller DT in the NFL got thrown around by larger professionals. Therefore, smaller DT's will get thrown around by less talented non-professionals". Look at Alabama's Barrett Jones for how relevant the NFL is to college. Dude was an all-american at every position on the o-line I believe and he ended up being a 4th round pick. He's by no means small but the point is, college is not the NFL so Karl Klug's tenure in the NFL is irrelevant. If you want to compare Daniel Hood to Karl Klug then it would be more relevant to point out that Karl Klug was a beast in college. Being in Iowa, I'd know.

Also, you do realize there are teams who intentionally assemble smaller o-lines and d-lines, right? And speaking of Oregon, they have two 6'6 starters on their o-line that are 275 and 285. How is 6'4 277 any smaller? He's bigger than the one and being 2 inches shorter should make up the 8lb difference for the other.

And whoever thinks Peterman is better than Worley at this point clearly does have a man crush. I know Peterman was playing with the 2nd unit but I wasn't all that impressed from what I saw. Worley looked much better.

Reactions: 3 people
The staff went with Munchie Legaux last year for several games...before benching him in favor of Kay (who ended up having a considerably better completion percentage on the year), so it wouldn't be the first time they put the wrong guy in at the start of the season, only to change their minds later.

At 277, Hood is going to get manhandled by teams like Bama, UF and Oregon.

You don't know what you're talking about, using someone who is fast and strong can pay dividends, rather than just big. Better athlete will play and its a known fact that couch has asthma issues. Look at last years bama/a&m game, spencer neally was a Nose tackle used and the DT was a larger guy, neally owned Barrett jones during the game cause he was quicker and made some huge plays and he was about the same talent level As hood. So trust in the coaches and do your research first.

Reactions: 3 people
Or maybe we need smaller players that can keep up with Oregon's hurry up offense and won't be as easily winded.

I'm not even sure why you're comparing college to NFL to be honest. "This smaller DT in the NFL got thrown around by larger professionals. Therefore, smaller DT's will get thrown around by less talented non-professionals". Look at Alabama's Barrett Jones for how relevant the NFL is to college. Dude was an all-american at every position on the o-line I believe and he ended up being a 4th round pick. He's by no means small but the point is, college is not the NFL so Karl Klug's tenure in the NFL is irrelevant. If you want to compare Daniel Hood to Karl Klug then it would be more relevant to point out that Karl Klug was a beast in college. Being in Iowa, I'd know.

Also, you do realize there are teams who intentionally assemble smaller o-lines and d-lines, right? And speaking of Oregon, they have two 6'6 starters on their o-line that are 275 and 285. How is 6'4 277 any smaller? He's bigger than the one and being 2 inches shorter should make up the 8lb difference for the other.

And whoever thinks Peterman is better than Worley at this point clearly does have a man crush. I know Peterman was playing with the 2nd unit but I wasn't all that impressed from what I saw. Worley looked much better.
Come on, man. Are you seriously going to tell me you aren't concerned somewhat by having a guy who was a 2* recruit, moved from OL to DL for depth purposes...and has a whopping total of 17 tackles in 3yrs...starting at DT? Maybe the staff is trying to send a message to Couch. Who knows, but all I am saying is that it is one spot on the team that should have us concerned.

Last edited:
He said him self being lighter enables him to move between and this defense line scheme is to penetrate not just hold the line

Come on, man. Are you seriously going to tell me you aren't concerned somewhat by having a guy who was a 2* recruit, moved from OL to DL for depth purposes...and has a whopping total of 17 tackles in 3yrs...starting at DT? Maybe the staff is trying to send a message to Couch. Who knows, but all I am saying is that it is one spot on the team that should have us concerned.

Like TAMUVOLS12 said : "its a known fact that couch has asthma issues" , that is your answer, Couch can't stay on the field for long periods of time. Hood will do just fine.

You don't know what you're talking about, using someone who is fast and strong can pay dividends, rather than just big. Better athlete will play and its a known fact that couch has asthma issues. Look at last years bama/a&m game, spencer neally was a Nose tackle used and the DT was a larger guy, neally owned Barrett jones during the game cause he was quicker and made some huge plays and he was about the same talent level As hood. So trust in the coaches and do your research first.
Research? Are you kidding? I just gave you "research"...stats don't lie. It would be different if Hood had some past production to base it on, but he's been here 4 yrs and has a small fraction of the tackles Couch had.

Like TAMUVOLS12 said : "its a known fact that couch has asthma issues" , that is your answer, Couch can't stay on the field for long periods of time. Hood will do just fine.
You mean the same Asthma issues Nick Fairley had/has? Didn't stop him from wreakin havoc in the SEC and getting drafted in the 1st Rd.

You mean the same Asthma issues Nick Fairley had/has? Didn't stop him from wreakin havoc in the SEC and getting drafted in the 1st Rd.

Some can control it better than others, some are stronger than others, some have more talent than others, some die of cancer and some survive, the point being that no case is identical.

Some can control it better than others, some are stronger than others, some have more talent than others, some die of cancer and some survive, the point being that no case is identical.
Couch + Asthma > Daniel Hood - asthma.

VN Store

Back