Don't understand Daniel Hood starting...

VOLorNuttin

next to Big Mac. At 277lbs, he is woefully undersized as a DT. I could see it if Hood had used all 4yrs to get all rocked up and over 300lb by this point....but he hasn't.

Mo Couch is much bigger and the better athlete. Has been since he got on campus.

Hood starting at DT reminds me of the woeful DT depth we had in 2011, where Wilcox HAD to play DE's because we struck out at DT recruiting for a few years, there. I'd play Saulsberry before Hood...even if he (Hood) made a few plays in the AP game.

When we get to Oregon, if Hood is still starting at DT, instead of Couch, it's going to show. I don't think there is a single NFL scout looking at Hood. But Couch is another matter. Just shaking my head at Coach Strip's decision.

Sure he's the coach and all. I get that. But from a fan's perspective, I cannot figure out, for the life of me, why you would start an undersized guy, who has been behind Couch in the depth chart until this fall. Strip said he hasn't seen Couch until fall camp. So? Big freakin deal. He's started here before and fall camp is plenty enough time to make an assessment. It has been for lots of freshman. Why not a Senior?

Reactions: 1 person
next to Big Mac. At 277lbs, he is woefully undersized as a DT. I could see it if Hood had used all 4yrs to get all rocked up and over 300lb by this point....but he hasn't.

Mo Couch is much bigger and the better athlete. Has been since he got on campus.

Hood starting at DT reminds me of the woeful DT depth we had in 2011, where Wilcox HAD to play DE's because we struck out at DT recruiting for a few years, there. I'd play Saulsberry before Hood...even if he (Hood) made a few plays in the AP game.

When we get to Oregon, if Hood is still starting at DT, instead of Couch, it's going to show. I don't think there is a single NFL scout looking at Hood. But Couch is another matter. Just shaking my head at Coach Strip's decision.

Sure he's the coach and all. I get that. But from a fan's perspective, I cannot figure out, for the life of me, why you would start an undersized guy, who has been behind Couch in the depth chart until this fall. Strip said he hasn't seen Couch until fall camp. So? Big freakin deal. He's started here before and fall camp is plenty enough time to make an assessment. It has been for lots of freshman. Why not a Senior?

If you watched the game Saturday, you would understand. The person playing the best and gives our team the best chance to win starts and plays the most. Seems pretty simple.

Reactions: 24 people
If you watched the game Saturday, you would understand. The person playing the best and gives our team the best chance to win starts and plays the most. Seems pretty simple.
If you watched any of the game, then you'd notice that Couch looked better in the game than Hood did...the tipped pass notwithstanding. And if you had watched any games the past few seasons, you'd see that Couch made a LOT more tackles than Hood. Hood had 7 tackles in 12 games last year. Couch had 38.

If you watched any of the game, then you'd notice that Couch looked better in the game than Hood did...the tipped pass notwithstanding. And if you had watched any games the past few seasons, you'd see that Couch made a LOT more tackles than Hood. Hood had 7 tackles in 12 games last year. Couch had 38.

that was last year, not this summer or fall practice, keep your thongs out of your crack buddy and relax.

Reactions: 18 people

Fact 1: Last I checked, the UT's football coach is Butch Jones and not VolorNuttin.

Fact 2: I think Hood is listed as a nose tackle. That puzzled me when I first saw it. Was surprised to see him playing DT like you. But all summer players have been through strength and stamina training. Dropped weight, body fat, and gained strength. Might be that Hood has become Simon Williams. After watching him bat down then catch a pass by the APU QB, he just might be as strong as Couch and faster. Or CBJ put him in to prove choosing him over Couch was the right decision.

Fact 3: Jones knows his players better than fans do. Said he'd put playmakers on the field. Seems it worked for the APU game. On the other hand, he may be holding out his bigger guns so Oregon and maybe WKU can't prep for them if they don't see them starting or playing.

Reactions: 18 people
The staff went with Munchie Legaux last year for several games...before benching him in favor of Kay (who ended up having a considerably better completion percentage on the year), so it wouldn't be the first time they put the wrong guy in at the start of the season, only to change their minds later.

At 277, Hood is going to get manhandled by teams like Bama, UF and Oregon.

Last edited:
The staff went with Munchie Legaux last year for several games...before benching him in favor of Kay (who ended up having a considerably better completion percentage on the year), so it wouldn't be the first time they put the wrong guy in at the start of the season, only to change their minds later.

At 277, Hood is going to get manhandled by teams like Bama, UF and Oregon.

Please stop bashing a player on OUR team. I can guarantee it that you wouldn't say it to Hood's face. He gives his all for Tennessee every chance he gets. Don't assume he's going to get manhandled either. Most of all though, don't bash a player on Tennessee's team. Disrespectful.

Reactions: 54 people
Please stop bashing a player on OUR team. I can guarantee it that you wouldn't say it to Hood's face. He gives his all for Tennessee every chance he gets. Don't assume he's going to get manhandled either. Most of all though, don't bash a player on Tennessee's team. Disrespectful.
How is it any different than those who question whether the choice to go with Worley is the right one? Couch IS the better player. His ranking coming here bares that out...and his production since has done nothing to prove that to be wrong.

Even in the limited amount of playing time, in the AP game...he got a sack and had as many tackles as Hood did...with fewer snaps. I'm sure Coach Strip has his reasons, but Couch has 30+ lbs on Hood and his stats don't lie.

It's clear you didn't watch the game. Hood is better than the man crush you have on Couch
Good grief. So, you're saying that those who think Peterman is the better QB...or Lane is the better RB than Neal....somehow must have a "man crush" in order to form that opinion? :loco: Pffft.

I watched the game twice, and again, I just want to see true DT's starting, rather than way undersized OL moved to DL just for depth.

Last edited:
Good grief. So, someone thinking Peterman is the better QB, has a man crush to come to that conclusion? :loco: Pffft.

I watched the game twice, and again, I just want to see true DT's starting, rather than way undersized OL moved to DL just for depth.
huuu? I have never for one minute thought Peterman was beter than Worley! Hood has played against our starting O-line all camp. He deserves to be ahead of couch who has a bad work ethic! You cried around these forums over the depth chart and now your crying over couch ...get over it dude You are not the Coach!

Last edited:
Byron Moore has more tackles than McNeil too, why the hell isnt Moore starting?

huuu? I have never for one minute thought Peterman was beter than Worley! Hood has played against our starting O-line all camp. He deserves to be ahead of couch who has a bad work ethic!
I can understand a coach rewarding a player for showing more hussle...but when the bullets start flying, that slightly better work ethic ain't going to keep 340 OL from putting Hood on his arse.

The Titans tried that approach with Karl Klug, who is about the same size as Hood. He's good in pass rush situations, but he get's thrown around like a rag doll on running downs. Oregon is going to be a run-heavy offense, and we need as much size upfront as we can muster.

How is it any different than those who question whether the choice to go with Worley is the right one? Couch IS the better player. His ranking coming here bares that out...and his production since has done nothing to prove that to be wrong.

Even in the limited amount of playing time, in the AP game...he got a sack and had as many tackles as Hood did...with fewer snaps. I'm sure Coach Strip has his reasons, but Couch has 30+ lbs on Hood and his stats don't lie.

Rankings are great and all but just because someone is ranked better doesn't mean they stay that way.
Look up Marcus Dupree.

VN Store

Back