Don't understand Daniel Hood starting...

ARRGGG! I accidentally liked the OP. For the record, I'd like to make it clear that no one actually agrees with the OP.

Do you realize that these kids' ultimate goal is to get to the League. When or if they do, it's ALL about your stats. If a drafted DT had Hood's production numbers/stats, they'd get cut....even if they were a 1st Rd pick and had a fat contract.

It's not that big of a deal. I was just wondering if others weren't likewise concerned, because there is good reason to. I hope it's just a move to motivate Couch to step it up a notch, cause I think a DL made up of Corey Miller, Big Dan, Couch and Jaq Smith is a pretty formidable one.
So Hood would get cut because of his stats in college. Do you hear yourself moron? Why draft him if he's going to be cut based on his college production. Oh because you have no clue what you're saying. Upward is calling.

I can understand a coach rewarding a player for showing more hussle...but when the bullets start flying, that slightly better work ethic ain't going to keep 340 OL from putting Hood on his arse.

The Titans tried that approach with Karl Klug, who is about the same size as Hood. He's good in pass rush situations, but he get's thrown around like a rag doll on running downs. Oregon is going to be a run-heavy offense, and we need as much size upfront as we can muster.

I would have thought you would know how to spell 'hustle', Mr. Couch....your son being a senior and all...and him having all those wonderful stats from last year.

Basing your arguement on last year's stats is just so dumb that I can't even think of an anology that is somewhat that stupid.

next to Big Mac. At 277lbs, he is woefully undersized as a DT. I could see it if Hood had used all 4yrs to get all rocked up and over 300lb by this point....but he hasn't.

Mo Couch is much bigger and the better athlete. Has been since he got on campus.

Hood starting at DT reminds me of the woeful DT depth we had in 2011, where Wilcox HAD to play DE's because we struck out at DT recruiting for a few years, there. I'd play Saulsberry before Hood...even if he (Hood) made a few plays in the AP game.

When we get to Oregon, if Hood is still starting at DT, instead of Couch, it's going to show. I don't think there is a single NFL scout looking at Hood. But Couch is another matter. Just shaking my head at Coach Strip's decision.

Sure he's the coach and all. I get that. But from a fan's perspective, I cannot figure out, for the life of me, why you would start an undersized guy, who has been behind Couch in the depth chart until this fall. Strip said he hasn't seen Couch until fall camp. So? Big freakin deal. He's started here before and fall camp is plenty enough time to make an assessment. It has been for lots of freshman. Why not a Senior?

WOW, you are pretty stupid topmost that after the guy made play after play on Saturday. Seriously, you should go do your homework and get ready for your 7th grade PE class. Stupid post, stupid poster.

I'm not going to drop down to name calling and all that other BS. You're entitled to your opinion but it is based entirely on the past. The coaches who get paid to make these decisions see the present at every practice. They see the big picture while we see only a portion of the puzzle. Based on game 1, looks like they made a pretty solid pick IMO. Ultimate goal of the defense is to take the ball away from the opposing team. Hood did that. So let's drop your past stats and undersized arguement for a second and look at it from a different angle. Were you disappointed in Hood's play on Saturday? If so, what aspect were you disappointed with? As I stated previosly, kid played his ass off and had a great game IMO. Do you agree or disagree with that statement?

I'm not going to drop down to name calling and all that other BS. You're entitled to your opinion but it is based entirely on the past. The coaches who get paid to make these decisions see the present at every practice. They see the big picture while we see only a portion of the puzzle. Based on game 1, looks like they made a pretty solid pick IMO. Ultimate goal of the defense is to take the ball away from the opposing team. Hood did that. So let's drop your past stats and undersized arguement for a second and look at it from a different angle. Were you disappointed in Hood's play on Saturday? If so, what aspect were you disappointed with? As I stated previosly, kid played his ass off and had a great game IMO. Do you agree or disagree with that statement?

OP disagrees obviously.

If you watched any of the game, then you'd notice that Couch looked better in the game than Hood did...the tipped pass notwithstanding. And if you had watched any games the past few seasons, you'd see that Couch made a LOT more tackles than Hood. Hood had 7 tackles in 12 games last year. Couch had 38.

This is inaccurate. Hood had a great day, and the tipped pass was not the only reason he stood out. Hood looked better than any lineman who played Saturday. Maybe it was a once in a career game, but it was easy to understand why Hood is starting based on the Austin Peay game alone.

Reactions: 1 person
The staff went with Munchie Legaux last year for several games...before benching him in favor of Kay (who ended up having a considerably better completion percentage on the year), so it wouldn't be the first time they put the wrong guy in at the start of the season, only to change their minds later.

At 277, Hood is going to get manhandled by teams like Bama, UF and Oregon.

This whole team is gonna get manhandled by those guys.

Couch won't make a difference.

next to Big Mac. At 277lbs, he is woefully undersized as a DT. I could see it if Hood had used all 4yrs to get all rocked up and over 300lb by this point....but he hasn't.

Mo Couch is much bigger and the better athlete. Has been since he got on campus.

Hood starting at DT reminds me of the woeful DT depth we had in 2011, where Wilcox HAD to play DE's because we struck out at DT recruiting for a few years, there. I'd play Saulsberry before Hood...even if he (Hood) made a few plays in the AP game.

When we get to Oregon, if Hood is still starting at DT, instead of Couch, it's going to show. I don't think there is a single NFL scout looking at Hood. But Couch is another matter. Just shaking my head at Coach Strip's decision.

Sure he's the coach and all. I get that. But from a fan's perspective, I cannot figure out, for the life of me, why you would start an undersized guy, who has been behind Couch in the depth chart until this fall. Strip said he hasn't seen Couch until fall camp. So? Big freakin deal. He's started here before and fall camp is plenty enough time to make an assessment. It has been for lots of freshman. Why not a Senior?

Has it ever occured to you that Butch may be starting who he thinks is the best player?

Do you realize that these kids' ultimate goal is to get to the League. When or if they do, it's ALL about your stats. If a drafted DT had Hood's production numbers/stats, they'd get cut....even if they were a 1st Rd pick and had a fat contract.

It's not that big of a deal. I was just wondering if others weren't likewise concerned, because there is good reason to. I hope it's just a move to motivate Couch to step it up a notch, cause I think a DL made up of Corey Miller, Big Dan, Couch and Jaq Smith is a pretty formidable one.

It is NOT all about your stats trying to get to the NFL. I stopped reading when you made that comment. Plenty of guys in the NFL didn't put up good numbers AT ALL in college but due to their combine performance, individual workouts for teams, etc, they make the league and in many cases stick for a long time. For example, Bryce Brown had virtually no STATS in college....

Has it ever occured to you that Butch may be starting who he thinks is the best player?

I don't think it has. Also, Couch is listed in the depth chart as the #2 NT behind McCullers, not the #2 DT behind Hood so this argument by Nuttin is kind null void based off that alone.

FWIW, Butch Jones on the radio, don't know when the sound bytes were recorded, but said Couch needs to get in better condition so that his reps are quality reps.

the left side of the Oregon 0-line, Center 297, Guard, 287, Tackle 277...only the right guard is 300+.

WKU's offensive line is actually bigger, all five starters are 290+...

I'd venture to say that Couch will get more reps as the season progresses, because of the pace of the offenses the next two weeks, we'll need both of them IMO.

EDIT: Exact quote on DT's from Jones in the TFP:

"They're critical, and we'll go as well as they go," coach Butch Jones said during his weekly news conference Monday. "I thought they were disruptive in the middle. They made some good plays. I think Mo Couch has to continue to progress with his conditioning levels and be able to give us valuable reps.

"We have some older players in that group that have played a lot of football, and we expect a lot from them and we demand a lot from them as well."

Last edited:

This is also stupid

What the heck does that have to do with who should stat? I thinl they're both more worried about winning the game and helping their team than retarded stats. If they are I hope they leave the team.

Their is no D lineman going to play 70 snaps a game, dude we have good depth and if Hood is working harder in practice then he should start

It's not that big of a deal. I was just wondering if others weren't likewise concerned, because there is good reason to.[/QUOTE]

Seems like the answer is................ NO! :hi:

Just because someone weighs more doesn't mean they're stronger.

I recently cut 25 pounds at the gym, I'm as strong at 220 as I was at 245, if not stronger.

I have a friend that is 200 pounds and he is stronger then me, and I have 25 pounds on him.

Plus, those big 300+ pound O and D linemen and have about 40+ pounds of fat on them.

OP has started 2 pointless threads lately.

I'm all for Daniel Hood starting if the coaches feel he is the best player for the job. He seems to be a good compliment to big Dan. Also, I'm against Dobbs playing at any point during the Oregon unless all of our other QBs can't stand.

This is inaccurate. Hood had a great day, and the tipped pass was not the only reason he stood out. Hood looked better than any lineman who played Saturday. Maybe it was a once in a career game, but it was easy to understand why Hood is starting based on the Austin Peay game alone.

Noticed in the WKU game that Hood was having to line up the DL before the plays. I wonder if this is like Reviez at MLB because he knew the alignments. i think one reason he is playing is because the coaching staff trusts him.

VN Store

Back