Don't overreact or over analyze this loss

It's BARNES JOB to find an f-ing PG that can DRIVE, CREATE... AAAAAND hit his damn LAYUPS and FT's!!

Recruiting failures continue to haunt this team. The PG is just as important as the QB in football. If you don't have a great one... you don't have one.

It's THAT simple. Bone, Turner, Bowden and the transfer are NOT championship level guards. Not one of them.

This. Every time I think Bone starts to " get it" , he has a game like he did last night. Therefore, he is not an elite PG and we will always be inconsistent based on Bones, as well as the other guards play. We need Simons so bad next year to make this an " elite" team.

You're an amateur speculating on a message board. Where is the evidence that burning time outs magically turns around games on a dime? If your team fails to execute coming out of the TO (which is more likely given the opponents opportunity to change their defense and/of set up a press) the hole has been dug even deeper... and you have one less TO. TN played through a 10 point deficit without the ball and cut it down to one point with the ball. That didn't happen because a magical TO was called.

How many years did you play in the NBA to be considered a " professional" ?

Reactions: 1 person
This. Every time I think Bone starts to " get it" , he has a game like he did last night. Therefore, he is not an elite PG and we will always be inconsistent based on Bones, as well as the other guards play. We need Simons so bad next year to make this an " elite" team.

Curious what you consider an elite team to be?

If you are upset we aren't a top 10 type team your expectations are way too high. This team is a bubble type team roster wise. The fact we are above that means we are over achieving

Why use them at the end of the game? Doesn't that give the opponent the ability to change their defense then as well.

To extend the game. To set up defenses. To make sure that your players know exactly what to do when there's zero margin for error. To put pressure on foul shooters. To set up 3 point plays.

To extend the game. To set up defenses. To make sure that your players know exactly what to do when there's zero margin for error. To put pressure on foul shooters. To set up 3 point plays.

So does the other team stop setting up their defense and designing plays late in the game when we call a timeout? Since that's why you don't like one called earlier in the game.

Well that 3 pt play we drew up sucked. Daniel getting 2 FTs were a result of not having a clue what to do

So does the other team stop setting up their defense and designing plays late in the game when we call a timeout? Since that's why you don't like one called earlier in the game.

He doesn't really know. If Barnes blew through all his timeouts, TGO would come up with a reason to agree with that too.

How many years did you play in the NBA to be considered a " professional" ?

I'm not questioning every decision of a 30 year head coach that will be in the Hall of Fame and has coached almost a thousand games in 4 of the best conferences in college basketball. Where are you finding me claiming to have a background in the NBA?

Not saying you're wrong, but Barnes is responsible for the poor planning and lack of adjustments that led to those players going 2-20.

The game is pretty simple, a good defensive coach is gonna take something away. Martin deciding to gum up the paint and take his chances giving up more outside shots. UT took them with their decent to good shooters statistically (27+ point average between the 3) and they managed 6 points. They hit 50% of their avg and you win.

Adjustments don't make good looks you re already getting go in at a higher rate.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes, according to what you want in the first half then yes. Calling that timeout allowed them to set up their defense, right.

I'd agree that playing through would have been an option if only down by 1 or 2... and Barnes has used that approach. But every single coach with an NCAA job is going to call a time out when down by 3 with 15 seconds remaining.

Typically, time outs are primarily saved for end of game situations after made baskets. There are only 3 at most available in the second half. Good coaches try to hang on to them for the ends of games. TN was down 10 without the ball and ended up down one with the ball inside of 30 seconds. Maybe the strategy wasn't total incompetence after all.

Didn't the first half end at 27-27 while on the road and as the underdog?

Yep, and we had a 8 point lead that evaporated in that time period that he should have called a TO. Instead, we let Mizzou come back while we were sucking wind. 8 point lead at the under-12 TO (11:00 mark). Only one dead-ball (9:47 mark) between then and the under-4 TO (2:09). We had three guys waiting at the bench to come in. Call a TO, stop Mizzou momentum, get our guys some rest, and get the subs in. Instead, we just took that TO into the half and lost it.

Coaching mistake. The score at halftime has no bearing on whether that was the right decision. Take the TO and maybe we have a 5 point lead at the half. Maybe not. We'll never know.

I think that they were all used... but even if not, Barnes keeps them if possible in order to have them available at the end of close games. That's his philosophy. He'll be in the Hall of Fame one day.

You lose a TO at halftime if you don't use one in the first half.

Yep, and we had a 8 point lead that evaporated in that time period that he should have called a TO. Instead, we let Mizzou come back while we were sucking wind. 8 point lead at the under-12 TO (11:00 mark). Only one dead-ball (9:47 mark) between then and the under-4 TO (2:09). We had three guys waiting at the bench to come in. Call a TO, stop Mizzou momentum, get our guys some rest, and get the subs in. Instead, we just took that TO into the half and lost it.

Coaching mistake. The score at halftime has no bearing on whether that was the right decision. Take the TO and maybe we have a 5 point lead at the half. Maybe not. We'll never know.

It's ok, TGO is now not only the expert on redshirts but timeouts as well. We'll all just amateurs compared to him.

Didn't that one get used at some point during a Missouri run?

Nope. Barnes kept it in his pocket and lost that timeout.

We were up 17-9 at the under 12 tv timeout. Wasn't a stoppage in play till the undee 8 timeout occurred at 2:09. Score then was 25-23.

Nope. Barnes kept it in his pocket and lost that timeout.

We were up 17-9 at the under 12 tv timeout. Wasn't a stoppage in play till the undee 8 timeout occurred at 2:09. Score then was 25-23.

There was one other stoppage. Grant Williams foul at 9:47 mark. But still, one stop in play in 9 minutes is brutal.

Tennessee didn't call a single TO in the first half. Barnes took it into the half and lost it.

Then I'll agree on that. Maybe should have used it at some point, but for whatever reason it was determined that it wouldn't have necessarily helped. Maybe CRB was comfortable with the matchups that were on the floor or is more confident in his player's conditioning and ability to take instructions on the fly. Maybe he's using it as a teaching moment. He has his reasons and I know less than he does as far as what strategies are appropriate for the situations.

I've been paying attention after time outs have been burned to stop runs. I've not seen a lot of evidence that it works and it won't surprise me if it's been studied and the conclusion is that there is no correlation between stopping runs with time outs as opposed to playing through them. Using them in the 2nd half certainly gives up a little bit of an advantage as opposed to saving them.

VN Store

Back