Don't overreact or over analyze this loss

Missouri is a young team that is starting to gel and it has superior talent to UT. That's why they won. Recruiting rankings exist for a reason and usually don't lie. The Vols are a plucky veteran bunch that plays hard. This will lead to success early in the season, especially vs younger teams. They will beat some superior teams early, but usually teams built like the Vols will lose to superior talented teams come NCAA tourney time. There's a reason Kentucky and Duke take their lumps in the regular season and then historically have deep runs with young teams. It's called talent that finally gels at the end of the season.

Yeah. We aren't good enough at the guard position for sure. Tourney time is all about guard play.

Your theory is flawed as every broadcast the announcers share that UT is the 5th youngest team in the nation - far from a "plunky veteran bunch". I will agree that they "play hard".

Majority of rotation players are SO, JR, SR. By today's standards, I consider that veteran. Unlike Duke, UK, KU that turn over their rosters every year.

Majority of rotation players are SO, JR, SR. By today's standards, I consider that veteran. Unlike Duke, UK, KU that turn over their rosters every year.

We have 1 senior on the roster and Kyle and Scho are the only juniors playing significant minutes.

Maybe we are veteran compared to those other 3, but when compared to 351 D1 teams we are the 5th youngest team in the country...younger in fact than Missouri.

4 upperclassmen out of 13 players, of which only 3 play very much, and only 2 of those have been on the team for more than a year. That isn't a veteran squad. Redefining the word "veteran" to fit your narrative doesn't work.

Reactions: 1 person
4 upperclassmen out of 13 players, of which only 3 play very much, and only 2 of those have been on the team for more than a year. That isn't a veteran squad. Redefining the word "veteran" to fit your narrative doesn't work.

Just pointing out that the mostly sophomore team are more experienced than their classification indicates. The core 7 players played together for 30+ games last year and 18 this year and most averaged 20+ minutes a game last year. That's a lot of game time for freshmen last year, which explains the mediocre record for 2016 and success in 2017. The best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. Vols are benefiting from young players getting PT and actually getting to hang on to them as they aren't good enough to jump to the NBA after 1-2 years.

While young on paper, they are vastly more experienced than a Missouri team that starts 2 freshmen (and would be starting 3 if Porter, Jr. weren't hurt).

Just pointing out that the mostly sophomore team are more experienced than their classification indicates. The core 7 players played together for 30+ games last year and 18 this year and most averaged 20+ minutes a game last year. That's a lot of game time for freshmen last year, which explains the mediocre record for 2016 and success in 2017. The best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. Vols are benefiting from young players getting PT and actually getting to hang on to them as they aren't good enough to jump to the NBA after 1-2 years.

While young on paper, they are vastly more experienced than a Missouri team that starts 2 freshmen (and would be starting 3 if Porter, Jr. weren't hurt).

Only 6 of our current 13 players have ever played more than 10 games together. That isn't a sign of experience. I see where you are going, but it's flawed.

Only 6 of our current 13 players have ever played more than 10 games together. That isn't a sign of experience. I see where you are going, but it's flawed.

UT's average age (20.3 or so) and average experience (1.5 years) are extremely low, but it's deceiving. It's entirely Sophomore and Juniors who play the majority of minutes who have been playing together for a year (or two in some cases) already. The 6 freshman or so who don't play meaningful minutes skew the numbers.

UT's average age (20.3 or so) and average experience (1.5 years) are extremely low, but it's deceiving. It's entirely Sophomore and Juniors who play the majority of minutes who have been playing together for a year (or two in some cases) already. The 6 freshman or so who don't play meaningful minutes skew the numbers.

Okay. I don't think it's deceiving to say that less than half of our team had ever played more than 10 games together prior to this year. This isn't the wealth if experience a few are trying to pass it off as. Schofield, Alexander, Williams, Bone, Bowden, and Turner had played a collective 30 games together before this season. The rest of the team had played in 10 or fewer games.

Depends. I think experience matters more rather than just age. Some players are much older than than their fellow peers in the same year.

Age can be deceptive. Some are physically mature as teenagers. Others keep maturing well into their 20s. This is where I believe that Barnes is turning over rocks in the recruiting process. 3-stars that aren't yet shaving probably have a lot more upside than 4-stars with male pattern baldness already kicking in.

Okay. I don't think it's deceiving to say that less than half of our team had ever played more than 10 games together prior to this year. This isn't the wealth if experience a few are trying to pass it off as. Schofield, Alexander, Williams, Bone, Bowden, and Turner had played a collective 30 games together before this season. The rest of the team had played in 10 or fewer games.

You keep glossing over this fact like it's bad or something. Returning 6 major contributors is no small feat. 4 of those players got quite a few meaningful starts. I don't care about the 6 or 7 guys sitting most of the games on the bench. I'm looking at the guys UT returned.

You keep glossing over this fact like it's bad or something. Returning 6 major contributors is no small feat. 4 of those players got quite a few meaningful starts. I don't care about the 6 or 7 guys sitting most of the games on the bench. I'm looking at the guys UT returned.

I get that it sounds like a lot of experience to a UK fan.

Age can be deceptive. Some are physically mature as teenagers. Others keep maturing well into their 20s. This is where I believe that Barnes is turning over rocks in the recruiting process. 3-stars that aren't yet shaving probably have a lot more upside than 4-stars with male pattern baldness already kicking in.

Which is why I believe experience is a better number to judge by...

ex.

Nick Richards who is a true freshman for UK a full year older than Grant Williams who is a sophomore. Grant Williams is obviously a ton more experienced playing his entire first year.

Which is why I believe experience is a better number to judge by...

ex.

Nick Richards who is a true freshman for UK a full year older than Grant Williams who is a sophomore. Grant Williams is obviously a ton more experienced playing his entire first year.

Or maybe Grant is a man-boy.

My original point that you tried to disprove with "numbers". By my previous point and count, there are 7 players that play the majority of the minutes, 6 that all played 20+ together last year. Thanks again for confirming this.

My original point that you tried to disprove with "numbers". By my previous point and count, there are 7 players that play the majority of the minutes, 6 that all played 20+ together last year. Thanks again for confirming this.

So What? They had one of year playing together. That isn't the definition of experience. Experience to me, is a team with 3 or 4 Seniors who contribute, and habe played together for 4 years, a couple Juniors, and then some Sophomores with the kind of experience our guys have. Having 6 players out of 13 who have 1 year of experience doesn't scream "veteran" to me.

But hey, you and Little Cat keep banging the table about how much experience we have.

Last edited:
So What? They had one of year playing together. That isn't the definition of experience. Experience to me, is a team with 3 or 4 Seniors who contribute, and habe played together for 4 years, a couple Juniors, and then some Sophomores with the kind of experience our guys have. Having 6 players out of 13 who have 1 year of experience doesn't scream "veteran" to me.

But hey, you and Little Cat keep banging the table about how much experience we have.

I'm not saying they are the most experienced team in the country. Simply showing that the statistics saying they are the 5th youngest is misleading.

VN Store

Back