dobbs redshirt rumor

I would hope he's eyeing the NFL after next year or his senior year. Everyone's different though, maybe he'd rather be an Astronaut than a professional qb.

Reactions: 1 person
I heard a rumor why Dobbs hasn't been starting..... his family said that they didn't want Butch Jones to burn his redshirt unless it was absolutely necessary. One can probably understand why because it's an academic thing for him to graduate the way he wants to and get a masters degree still getting all of the four years of eligibility.

One could Especially see how this is true when there was no way to know if he would do any better than Worley especially early in the season after the the offense almost put up 40 on UGA.

but UTs had was forced by Worley injury so Dobbs played

I respect a coaching staff that tries to grant players and families wishes if they are reasonable. I think recruits respect that too.

Play Dobbs this season. Play Dobbs next season. Red Shirt Dobbs his senior season and let Dormady or Jennings play q.b. Then Dobbs red shirt senior season let him be the back up.

Problem solved.

Sure they talk about it as an ideal situation. But if you're telling me that we took losses to Florida and Ole Miss because Butch promised his mom and dad we wouldn't play him then I have a real, real problem with that. There's no denying he could have made a difference in those games....especially Florida. And now we face an uphill battle to make a bowl game because Butch made a kitchen table deal with his parents??

Here is the problem with that argument...that bold statement is not accurate. They did not know that he would make a difference. They see him practice every day and know where he is at. You are basing your assumption on seeing him play much better than expected (and even with that said made mistakes on the fumble/INT, missed on throws to multiple wide-open receivers). There is no way coaches 'expected' him to play that well and have that much impact on the game after what they saw from him in practice on a daily basis. It's one game. Hopefully he builds on it and continues to improve. But all these people acting like everybody KNEW he would play like that is stupid.

Reactions: 2 people
You make some good points and its probably more accurate than my thought process.

A VN poster possibly looking at things from a different perspective than they had originally? I think we may need to put this thread on quarantine.

Reactions: 1 person
This is beyond dumb. The coaches do not ask parents if they can play their kids after they have committed. Your on scholarship and play when told. Then there is a million other reasons this is dumb

The request was actually that he redshirt his freshman year, which wasn't going to he a problem but injuries forced him to play...maybe that's why he didn't travel to Florida. The family and JD was hoping to redshirt this year if he wasn't named that starter. I bet this happens at a lot of schools when it comes to QBs

So, just before the next great leader of a Tennessee's football team stepped in to lead the Vols onto the battlefield against Alabama, he and coach had to call his mama to make sure it'd be ok for him to play?

Future is bright.

So, just before the next great leader of a Tennessee's football team stepped in to lead the Vols onto the battlefield against Alabama, he and coach had to call his mama to make sure it'd be ok for him to play?

Future is bright.

Yeah, that is a very accurate representation of how it worked. Well done!

VN Store

Back