dobbs redshirt rumor

I don't know why this is so difficult for people to comprehend. Except that it goes against their attacks of the coaching staff for not playing him. You act like this would be something that was determined in the summer. It was most likely something that occurred AFTER he did not win the QB competition against Worley going into the season. At that time, it was determined that they not burn his redshirt just to take back-up snaps.

The ones I heard in the spring were less .....
Basically, unless he stood out over the other two,
They would rs.
He is likely to be here for the long haul and should only be better with time.

As for the parents, I believe all I heard back then was
they supported his graduation and the plan.
Didn't even seem worth mentioning.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm done arguing... you guys know it all... just haven't been on much lately and figured this had been discussed and wanted to hear folks POV.

Dude, you threw it out for discussion on a message board. Don't take your ball and go home if you don't like the comments.

Personally, I think it's unlikely. College football is big time business. I would expect the business to act in what it perceives to be its best interest. JMO

“I think our relationship is just more than football. It’s just hard to explain. He just understands me as a person, and he’s respecting me as a person.”

Quote from Drew Richmond but the phrase “ he’s respecting me as a person.” could easily apply to Dobbs too..

I'm done arguing... you guys know it all... just haven't been on much lately and figured this had been discussed and wanted to hear folks POV.

I think there is more truth to this rumor then people want to admit. Lots of parents push for redshirting their kids fearing they will get hurt without that year of mental and physical development. QBs are especially suspect to psychological maiming if they start too early and make costly errors. It is very hard to rebuild the confidence of a young man once it is gone. And as long as Worley led us to a bowl, there was low risk and high reward for redshirting Dobbs.

I think there is more truth to this rumor then people want to admit. Lots of parents push for redshirting their kids fearing they will get hurt without that year of mental and physical development. QBs are especially suspect to psychological maiming if they start too early and make costly errors. It is very hard to rebuild the confidence of a young man once it is gone. And as long as Worley led us to a bowl, there was low risk and high reward for redshirting Dobbs.

fact is some people have bigger plans than college football and realize the NFL isn't going to happen. Some kids, like Barnett who has an nfl future, want early playing time and are ready. Not all players and families think that way. College choices are based on many things and one is redshirting. If Butch would have told Dobbs last year that he was the starter the day he stepped on campus, he wouldn't have signed with UT.

How about there's some truth, but it's not the total truth.

How about the coaching staff felt Dobbs wasn't ready, so they kept him out to allow him to make progress in order to be a better QB next year, and they told his parents that they'd go for a redshirt rather than throw him in for meaningless minutes through the fall, allowing him to have more focus on academics?

Then he got better, Worley got injured/worse, Peterman got... whatever, bless his heart, and then maybe Dobbs got good grades on his midterms. :)

There can be a lot of truths going on simultaneously. Y'all can be so single-track, whereas life is usually more complex. :zeitung_lesen:

Yes

This is beyond dumb. The coaches do not ask parents if they can play their kids after they have committed. Your on scholarship and play when told. Then there is a million other reasons this is dumb

I don't know why anyone would think it is far fetched. Deals with recruits and parents are made all the time to get someone signed. This could only be a rumor, but Dobb's situation is unique with the academics issue. What family wouldn't want the tuition free year to go to grad school? Makes all the sense in the world to me. The deal could be something like to redshirt, if possible, but coach has the right to play him, if needed. It's even possible that they redshirt him in the next 2 years, though not likely at this point.

fact is some people have bigger plans than college football and realize the NFL isn't going to happen. Some kids, like Barnett who has an nfl future, want early playing time and are ready. Not all players and families think that way. College choices are based on many things and one is redshirting. If Butch would have told Dobbs last year that he was the starter the day he stepped on campus, he wouldn't have signed with UT.

Agree. I'm trying to remember the freshman receiver who went home for the weekend when Coach Majors told him he was going to burn his redshirt. Was that Carl Pickens?

One of the main things coaches and parents plan on and discuss are redshirts, so it does sum it up if people are unfamiliar with conversations and agreements in regards to recruiting.

Sure they talk about it as an ideal situation. But if you're telling me that we took losses to Florida and Ole Miss because Butch promised his mom and dad we wouldn't play him then I have a real, real problem with that. There's no denying he could have made a difference in those games....especially Florida. And now we face an uphill battle to make a bowl game because Butch made a kitchen table deal with his parents??

it does not matter where I heard the rumor.

The more I think about it the more I think it has a general truth to it.

Jones treats his players with respect the same as he would his own family. This is why he does so well recruiting. I think this general attitude and respect to his players will bring long term sustainable success at UT. Only time will tell.

Sure they talk about it as an ideal situation. But if you're telling me that we took losses to Florida and Ole Miss because Butch promised his mom and dad we wouldn't play him then I have a real, real problem with that. There's no denying he could have made a difference in those games....especially Florida. And now we face an uphill battle to make a bowl game because Butch made a kitchen table deal with his parents??

Worley looked great the week before in his first sec game versus uga. There was no reason to think he couldn't beat the gators and let the senior have his shot to be the hero

Reactions: 2 people

I understand your point but when you convince a kid to sign and a big part of that is redshirting, going against your word isn't the way to build a program.

No, he retained his redshirt because he didn't show to be any better than Worley or Peterman in practice. If he's no better, you keep the shirt on. Hyams said the coaches were surprised how well he played against Alabama. He's still got accuracy issues, but once Worley went down, they didn't really hesitate to bring him on. They gave Peterman two series to take the reins. While he wasn't terrible, he didn't score either.

I could see where a coach would tell parents they'd redshirt their kid if possible, but Jones seems like a pretty straight shooter. He'd tell them, in this scenario, that he's burning the shirt. It's the coach's decision to make, but I'm sure coaches consult parents all the time about things with their kids.

Last edited:
I understand your point but when you convince a kid to sign and a big part of that is redshirting, going against your word isn't the way to build a program.[/QUOTE/

One of Butch's things is true family like respect not just saying the words.

If a coach like butch does not treat his players well sooo many of the players who are not only talented but also relatively well grounded off the field would not be coming to play for UT.

No, he retained his redshirt because he didn't show to be any better than Worley or Peterman in practice. If he's no better, you keep the shirt on. Hyams said the coaches were surprised how well he played against Alabama. He's still got accuracy issues, but once Worley went down, they didn't really hesitate to bring him on. They gave Peterman two series to take the reins. While he wasn't terrible, he didn't score either.

I could see where a coach would tell parents they'd redshirt their kid if possible, but Jones seems like a pretty straight shooter. He'd tell them, in this scenario, that he's burning the shirt. It's the coach's decision to make, but I'm sure coaches consult parents all the time about things with their kids.

Exactly

I understand your point but when you convince a kid to sign and a big part of that is redshirting, going against your word isn't the way to build a program.

Only they know what "word" may or may not have been given exactly so it's moot.

Last edited:

I can't agree with this. I don't think that any coach would promise to RS a player no matter what, even if all the other QB's were in full body casts in traction and Smokey would be suiting up.

But agreeing/ promising to save a shirt if possible rather than putting him in for "meaningless snaps" as posted above? That makes complete sense to me. I assume the Dobbses are bright people and can understand that someone will try, but no guarantees.

Also, it's how the family can explain their kid not getting minutes, which is sort of petty, but human. One of my kids played college (Div 3 --brains > skill), and I was always getting asked by parents of former teammates how it was going.

You make some good points and its probably more accurate than my thought process.

I can't agree with this. I don't think that any coach would promise to RS a player no matter what, even if all the other QB's were in full body casts in traction and Smokey would be suiting up.

But agreeing/ promising to save a shirt if possible rather than putting him in for "meaningless snaps" as posted above? That makes complete sense to me. I assume the Dobbses are bright people and can understand that someone will try, but no guarantees.

Also, it's how the family can explain their kid not getting minutes, which is sort of petty, but human. One of my kids played college (Div 3 --brains > skill), and I was always getting asked by parents of former teammates how it was going.

I'm talking about promising a redshirt then pulling it at the beginning of fall camp, not when it becomes necessary, and coaches do talk to the parents during that process. And for those that talk about missing out on potential wins with a qb on the bench, Dak is a heisman candidate and hardly played until last year. Did that mean Mullen sacrificed wins? Manziel won the Heisman as a rs freshman. Does that mean Sumlin sacrificed wins during his freshman year?

I'm talking about promising a redshirt then pulling it at the beginning of fall camp, not when it becomes necessary, and coaches do talk to the parents during that process. And for those that talk about missing out on potential wins with a qb on the bench, Dak is a heisman candidate and hardly played until last year. Did that mean Mullen sacrificed wins? Manziel won the Heisman as a rs freshman. Does that mean Sumlin sacrificed wins during his freshman year?

OK, gotcha. I misunderstood your post. :hi:

And I agree with the rest. It can be worth waiting for physical maturity etc. You can ruin a good racehorse forever by starting him too soon. damn Kentucky Derby

Last edited:

First things first.

When Dak Prescott was a true Freshman (and redshirting), MSU had Tyler Russell. As a RS Freshman, Tyler Russell threw for almost 3,000 yards, 24 TDs and 10 INTs. So, easily, Russell is much better for MSU than Worley was for us. Russell in 2012 had a 14-5 TD-INT ratio against SEC opponents. End of discussion. In 2013 Russell got injured, Prescott came in. That's how it happens.

Second of all.

Manziel was redshirted the year before Sumlin got there. Manziel fell into Sumlin's lap in 2012. If Sumlin was there in 2011 and Manziel was ready, he would have played as a true freshman. If Manziel wasn't ready, Sumlin wouldn't have played him.

Coaches play the guys who give them the best chance to win. Just because Dobbs looks good now doesn't mean Dobbs looked good in Spring and Fall. Additionally, we don't know what Dobbs will look like through the rest of the year. Remember how good Worley looked coming off the bench against Florida last year? Remember how good Worley looked against Georgia this year? Dobbs could just as easily still go out against USC and lay a stinker down.

He might have played well because the pressure was off. We were down big against a top team. No actual expectation to win. Starting with USC and through the end of the year the pressure is definitely on. We'll see how he does.

I believe this to be closest to the truth.
I believe Dobbs started to come on in practice in the last few weeks so they decided to give him a shot.

The reason he didn't play before Bama is irrelevant at this point. Dobbs earned one more start IMO and should be evaluated again after SoCar.

First things first.

When Dak Prescott was a true Freshman (and redshirting), MSU had Tyler Russell. As a RS Freshman, Tyler Russell threw for almost 3,000 yards, 24 TDs and 10 INTs. So, easily, Russell is much better for MSU than Worley was for us. Russell in 2012 had a 14-5 TD-INT ratio against SEC opponents. End of discussion. In 2013 Russell got injured, Prescott came in. That's how it happens.

Second of all.

Manziel was redshirted the year before Sumlin got there. Manziel fell into Sumlin's lap in 2012. If Sumlin was there in 2011 and Manziel was ready, he would have played as a true freshman. If Manziel wasn't ready, Sumlin wouldn't have played him.

Coaches play the guys who give them the best chance to win. Just because Dobbs looks good now doesn't mean Dobbs looked good in Spring and Fall. Additionally, we don't know what Dobbs will look like through the rest of the year. Remember how good Worley looked coming off the bench against Florida last year? Remember how good Worley looked against Georgia this year? Dobbs could just as easily still go out against USC and lay a stinker down.

He might have played well because the pressure was off. We were down big against a top team. No actual expectation to win. Starting with USC and through the end of the year the pressure is definitely on. We'll see how he does.

Good post, but that injury to Russell is similar in that many felt Dak could take their team further at the time Russell went down. He was a sr though and Mullen was going with experience vs potential until he didn't have a choice.

VN Store

Back