dobbs redshirt rumor

Here is my random theory. I believe coach Jones gave the job too the senior experienced veteran because no one separated themselves in practice to where there was a discernible difference. All the while knowing he could redshirt Dobbs. Gave peterman multiple chances this year to show he could get it done and decided to give Dobbs his shot and so far has made the most of it. Let's be honest regardless of what us fans think butch Jones wants a bowl game worse than any of us and I think he decided that Dobbs may in fact give us the best chance to do that. Regardless I would expect to see Josh Dobbs the last four games.

There you go bringin' all that logic stuff to VN. This will not end well!

On a serious note, I read where Jones called his parents the day before (I believe) to tell them that he had to take back the redshirt. Maybe that's something CBJ would have done anyway with any of the players' parents, but it does make sense with the scenario the OP has presented.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
How about there's some truth, but it's not the total truth.

How about the coaching staff felt Dobbs wasn't ready, so they kept him out to allow him to make progress in order to be a better QB next year, and they told his parents that they'd go for a redshirt rather than throw him in for meaningless minutes through the fall, allowing him to have more focus on academics?

Then he got better, Worley got injured/worse, Peterman got... whatever, bless his heart, and then maybe Dobbs got good grades on his midterms. :)

There can be a lot of truths going on simultaneously. Y'all can be so single-track, whereas life is usually more complex. :zeitung_lesen:

Reactions: 3 people
This is true... of course the armchair coaches around here only want to hear things that support their own point of view and will take anything said in that regard as absolute truth and then make fun of anyone with something different to say.

So believe what you want.. but I happen to know that this is truth. Dobbs and his Family wanted a red shirt year for him so he could graduate with his Masters by the time eligibility was up.

Not enough to refuse to play when Worley was injured as shown by the Bama game.. but that is what they wanted if possible.

Last edited:
At what point does Richmond say coach asked my parents?

Just because a coach does not ask the parents... does not mean the parents do not approach and ask the coach.

You have never had a kid in sports, or you would know this happens every day.

Stop being a jack-tard to people with differing view points then your self. It shows immaturity and a lack of intelligence.... Just saying

this could be true. could have been discussed during his recruitment as well, thus him signing with us.

I assume Dobbs parents live in Georgia. If there was a chance my son would play I would want the coach to let me know so I could make the long trip for the game.

I doubt this is true.

Why would you doubt it? Makes perfect sense to me considering Worley's increased skills above last season. JW was rated the most improved player over last year at Peyton's Summer QB camp. Kudos to Butch Jones....

I have also been told that his parents wanted him redshirted. Where there's smoke there's fire. I have no problem with them trying to redshirt him. I think he probably surprised the coaches as much as us Saturday.

Reactions: 2 people
Just because a coach does not ask the parents... does not mean the parents do not approach and ask the coach.

Stop being a jack-tard to people with differing view points then your self. It shows immaturity and a lack of intelligence.... Just saying

This coming from the guy that uses terms like retarded, idiot and moron when debating others with a differing opinion.

You are a hypocrite of the highest order.

Reactions: 2 people
Jimmy Hyams basically reported this last week on Nashville sports radio. He said Dobbs's parents gave Jones permission to burn his redshirt this year.

Now, Jones doesn't need a parent's permission, but it was said he promised to redshirt Dobbs last year. It had to be burned. Same thing this year with Worley's injury. If Dobbs had been head and shoulders above the rest, you can bet he would've been playing already. It's somewhat telling that with Worley out, the plan included Dobbs pretty much regardless of Peterman (though I think if Peterman had somehow lit it up, we wouldn't have seen Dobbs at all).

Since he promised them a redshirt, he asked for their OK to burn it, but he doesn't have to. Why is this unbelievable? It sounds perfectly normal. Hyams reported, but he did not give details as to why.

The rumor of the parents asking for a RS came from VQ as I understand it. It's BS from a poster over there. Oh, looky, pookie, it's gone viral on VN.

From Hyams it appears the parents consented to the RS, not asked for it.

Yeah, that's about as legit as Peyton and the BIG donors swooping in to hire Gruden with their own money....we're just waiting for him to sign the contract.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WovrPXMm3LQ[/youtube]

grudenralphie720-1.gif
lest you forget we had people on VN swearing on their Mama's graves they were privy to seeing Gruden's signed name on the contract ..eff Gruden eff all those axx clowns that promoted him for UT ... Move along ain't happening' ever

Jimmy Hyams basically reported this last week on Nashville sports radio. He said Dobbs's parents gave Jones permission to burn his redshirt this year.

Now, Jones doesn't need a parent's permission, but it was said he promised to redshirt Dobbs last year. It had to be burned. Same thing this year with Worley's injury. If Dobbs had been head and shoulders above the rest, you can bet he would've been playing already. It's somewhat telling that with Worley out, the plan included Dobbs pretty much regardless of Peterman (though I think if Peterman had somehow lit it up, we wouldn't have seen Dobbs at all).

Since he promised them a redshirt, he asked for their OK to burn it, but he doesn't have to. Why is this unbelievable? It sounds perfectly normal. Hyams reported, but he did not give details as to why.

I heard it a couple of times in the spring and several times this last week.
Don't know if it's true (and don't care) but I was suprised
that so many had not. Definately was lost on the aggression toward the op, given he stated it was a rumor.
Unlike Gruden etc... not exactly the kind of rumor that
has vols "all a frenzy". Not even sure what the gain would be for making it up. Who cares?

Just apply logic to the question at hand boss. So the parents want to make sure he can get his masters on UT's dime? Don't you think the university would put him on an academic scholarship if he used all of his eligibility up? Of course they would. It would be a huge PR victory and great recruiting tool. He would be a great ambassador for the school and program. I am not being a"jack-tard" to people with differing views. I am calling a baseless internet rumor, that has no reputable source besides a bunch of people on the internet who claim they "heard this to be true", dumb. Again the rumor not the people. Oh and calling people "jack-tards" is a tad hypocritical don't you think? In fact, " it shows immaturity and lack of intelligence....just saying"

The rumor of the parents asking for a RS came from VQ as I understand it. It's BS from a poster over there. Oh, looky, pookie, it's gone viral on VN.

From Hyams it appears the parents consented to the RS, not asked for it.

I could have sworn Hyams stated it the other way around. It was on Friday's Wake Up Zone, and wouldn't you know, it's the one appearance by him not on their podcast list. It's possible I misheard the quote. While I thought it was interesting, I didn't think it was anything to get worked up about.

The main reason Dobbs was redshirting is that he wasn't better than either of the other two QBs in practice. If they wanted him redshirted last year, it's no surprise they'd want to try it again this year. I don't see why this is a three-page "controversy" on VN regardless of who asked for the redshirt.

I heard it a couple of times in the spring and several times this last week.
Don't know if it's true (and don't care) but I was suprised
that so many had not. Definately was lost on the aggression toward the op, given he stated it was a rumor.
Unlike Gruden etc... not exactly the kind of rumor that
has vols "all a frenzy". Not even sure what the gain would be for making it up. Who cares?

Exactly, this is more of a "oh that's interesting" rumor than it is something to get worked up about. People are testy on here to say the least.

Yes this is true, and when it looked like he might have to play Dobbs parents gave CBJ the green light

I don't know why this is so difficult for people to comprehend. Except that it goes against their attacks of the coaching staff for not playing him. You act like this would be something that was determined in the summer. It was most likely something that occurred AFTER he did not win the QB competition against Worley going into the season. At that time, it was determined that they not burn his redshirt just to take back-up snaps.

Is ur source on volnation cause this was discussed the other day lol

It SO much more than a locker room source for all things vols, coaching clinic, recruiting service, scouting service, las vegas betting service,

Volnation can also detect ,within seconds, any hint of perceived negativity written about our team from any news source within the WWW.

VN Store

Back