Do You Think Phil will be a Good AD?

Do remember remember his last 9-10 years trying to hire assistant coaches?

Yup... train wreck after train wreck. Either this mess started back then or Phil just messed things up. Makes one think this hiring fiasco started 9-10 years ago.

Reactions: 1 person
I think Fulmer will do good as AD. Dooley (The Father) did a good job at GA after stepping down as coach and CM Newton was a good AD after leaving the coaching ranks. I think right now it is more important for us to have someone that wants to fix this mess long term and is willing to make tough decisions. That person to me should also have a passion about Tennessee not just an interest in doing a job.

Reactions: 2 people
No one is talking about that Phil has been doing since leaving as head coach. He is a very successful executive and took his experience as a coach and leveraged it into a very profitable career at BPV capitol management.

I am not sure that folks understand that an AD functions as the equivalent of Executive CEO and is responsible for the business of collegiate athletics.

I don't get all the Fulmer hate. We finally have an AD that bleeds orange and wants only the best for our team and university. Damn people, let's get behind him and be positive. I really want to see him succeed.

Jury is still out. There is great potential there on his heart for his Alma Mater alone, but who gets hired as head coach of football will be the litmus test.

I'm secretly hoping he gets Miles with an offensive coordinator who is forward thinking to balance it all out.

Last edited:
I know he bleeds orange, but his hiring selection towards the end of this coaching career was not good.

Can he hire a good coach?

Now we're hearing Bilimea has been spotted on campus...gross

From what I've heard, Fulmer was handcuffed by Haslam and Hamilton on $$$ for coordinator and assistant salaries, especially during the last several years of his tenure.

I believe, if Haslam is out of the way, with Fulmer's reputation among the coaching world... and if the administration will open the vault doors... he will be able to land Leach or another man of whom Tennesseans will be quite proud to call "Coach."

The only thing I know about Bielema is that I would not want him to be named head coach under any circumstances. We have a MOU from Leach... just get it official... if Leach will go ahead now that Phil is AD.

Then we could all sit back and :popcorn:, sip our sweet tea, and be happy little Vol fans once again.

Last edited:
We will see really really quickly how he's going to do. He better hire someone better than Leach or his legacy will be tarnished hugely.

From what I've heard, Fulmer was handcuffed by Haslam and Hamilton on $$$ for coordinator and assistant salaries, especially during the last several years of his tenure.

I believe, if Haslam is out of the way, with Fulmer's reputation among the coaching world... and if the administration will open the vault doors... he will be able to land Leach or another man of whom Tennesseans will be quite proud to call "Coach."

The only thing I know about Bielema is that I would not want him to be named head coach under any circumstances. We have a MOU from Leach... just get it official... if Leach will go ahead now that Phil is AD.

Then we could all sit back and :popcorn: and be happy little Vol fans once again.

I honestly don't see Fulmer and Leach being a good fit for each other. Way too differing of personalities. Leach is abrasive and blunt. Fulmer is your stereotypical southern gentleman. I think they would be like oil and water. Would love to see Leach come, yes, but not sure it would work out behind the scenes.

I honestly don't see Fulmer and Leach being a good fit for each other. Way too differing of personalities. Leach is abrasive and blunt. Fulmer is your stereotypical southern gentleman. I think they would be like oil and water. Would love to see Leach come, yes, but not sure it would work out behind the scenes.

I was thinking the same thing, but Leach is one of the best coaches available after the dumpster fire Currie and Haslam lit and fueled for us.

What kind of connections does Phil Fulmer currently have that will aid in our search for a football coach?

ok, listening to the press conference...let's go Phil. Get us going back in the right direction.

I tell you what...I like what I'm hearing from Phil

200.webp

Be interesting to see what Fulmer's list of coaches looks like. If he wanted Doeren then it could be a Dooley like list.

Fulmer interviewed Doeren because it was his job to do so. Whether he thought he was a good fit ir not we do not know, however I doubt he did. I seriously doubt Fulmer would have a “Dooley like” list. That premise is absurd.

I like what I heard. He made several references of Everyone getting on the same page...that’s a shot to HOH

I think feel will surround himself with very qualified people and he knows how to fix the football programs problems. My only question would be what about the rest of the sports I know he will be a cheerleader just hope he pays attention to them as well.

Gonna be a crazy weekend for sure. Volnation needs to play a drinking game...Every time TN or Fulmer is mentioned during the SEC Championship game we have to take a drink...We will probably all be passed out by half time..

2 Questions:

1) How do we top Friday's developments on Saturday? Davenport? Miles?

2) Can we get the $$$ to hire an All-Star Coaching Staff beyond the HC where recruits would want to develop their skills? Lot's of $ in buyouts, any left for the guys who are actually in the trenches? Last I saw, UT assistants were 8th best paid in the SEC in the 1st or 2nd most profitable program. Boosters, hope that you'll rally!

Go Vols!

All this blind loyalty to Phil is troubling. We had a great coach in Leach agreed to terms and we could've been done with this nightmare, now here we are still. Just because he was a B+ coach doesn't mean he will be a good administrator. Ala Phil Jackson. I'm not saying he won't do well, I'm saying he is an unproven rookie administrator. I'd rather have Leach and be done with this nightmare. I mean a Leach/Chavis combo? That would've dominated everything. Tee Martin is not a better hire than Leach, not even in the same time zone.

Also, at what point does Davenport lose her job. She's done equally as poor as Currie, at least Currie had terms with a good coach.

And when I say blind loyalty, I mean on these VFL Facebook pages, not here. These people are delirious. I had one guy screaming "WE'RE BACK" at me and he had some sort of conspiracy concocted that this is the Haslam "regime" being shown the door. It's like #1 Haslem and Fulmer are great friends, Haslam is probably very happy for Phil. #2 They're not going to tell a billionaire booster to kick rocks. They've lost their minds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
What evidence is there that Fulmer will be a good administrator? All we have to go by is his career as a FB coach. Except throw out the qualities that don’t matter in his role like recruiting and play calling. What you’re left with is how he managed his team and it was abysmal. The only thing that mitigated that was he won football games due to his ability to recruit. But it eventually caught up w him and he was canned. Yet he’s going to make a good AD?

I guess we’ll find out

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back