Do You Think Phil will be a Good AD?

I’m expecting a good ole boy system hire here. Probably somebody boring that may ceiling out at 10 wind. Just good enough to keep butts in seats but never really threatening a championship. Think Butch 2.0 with UT, and more importantly, Phil ties. Hires like Leach or Kiffin are impossible now.

Reactions: 2 people
What kind of connections does Phil Fulmer currently have that will aid in our search for a football coach?

John Chavis, which could mean a MilesHC/ChavisDC combo. They were together at LSU. I wouldn't hate that, but I'd rather have Leach/Chavis. I think Chavis would come back now no matter what. Unless Fisher retains him at A&M.

Hell, lets get Fisher. We gotta be more attractive than A&M. Great recruiting there, but he can recruit in Texas at Tennessee, too.

Last edited:
After listening to that press conference, I would have to say HELL YES he will do a good job.

Bev was beyond anemic - obviously wanted to be anywhere else.

I’m expecting a good ole boy system hire here. Probably somebody boring that may ceiling out at 10 wind. Just good enough to keep butts in seats but never really threatening a championship. Think Butch 2.0 with UT, and more importantly, Phil ties. Hires like Leach or Kiffin are impossible now.

This 100%. Definitely not as excited about this as just hiring Leach last night or bringing in Blackburn.

Doug Dickey was the coach and came back as AD I believe. Phil can do it if he tries hard.

What evidence is there that he won't be a good administrator?

When Fulmer was fired I was completely behind that decision and had been saying I thought it was time for him to go for a couple of years before. But after Fulmer was gone and seeing, what I think to be, the utter incompetence of Mike Hamilton. I'm not so sure you can lay the blame for our decline on Fulmer, and say he was abysmal at managing his team. I think there was one area that cost us in the last 7 years of Fulmer and that is offense. Chavis kept us near the top every year on defense, our offense just continued to flounder and put us in bad situations. That is why we always won the games we were supposed to win and kept losing too much to the top ranked teams. If Fulmer was being restricted by Hamilton on who he could get for an OC then that would explain some of our troubles.

At this point we can't even win the games we are supposed to win so we gotta do something. I want someone in there that I believe truly cares and will work hard to right this ship. If Fulmer can't do it then I'm all for finding someone else. But for now I'm completely supportive, not blindly loyal.

we fired fulmer, and he's back; in the most powerful position at ut. we didn't even fire kiffin. why the hell can't we bring him back? he didn't start this prolonged decline. fulmer did. it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he hires randy sanders. the king of mediocrity has finally made it to the haslam throne. unbelievable. as f'd up as this program is, i would expect our next ad to be butch jones.

At least we got someone who cares about UTK on a level other than the bottom line, which makes him a lot more trustworthy than any AD we've had in a long time. I'm tired. We've all got our own favorites. I don't think Fulmer has an agenda other than to get the best person to restore the program to where it was in the 90s. I'm going to try and do as he asked and pull together and let him do his job.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm skeptical.

If he doesn't hire a legit coach (not Miles) then I think he should be replaced immediately.

This hiring process is his trial run. He worked to oust Currie and I don't have a problem with that. He wanted the job, now deliver.

I think we all wish him the best of luck.

Phil will ride Tennessee through this storm. I think he'll make a good hire. Possibly a great hire, but we'll see. Hopefully, once everything is rectified, he resigns from the AD position with the right man to replace him already on the scene. Long term could spell disaster for any team that doesn't play their home games inside Neyland Stadium.

You just described Les Miles or Cutcliffe (if he were an option).

I think Phil cares more about things being done Phil's way.

Maybe it'll work, but I'm skeptical.

Reactions: 3 people
Phil will ride Tennessee through this storm. I think he'll make a good hire. Possibly a great hire, but we'll see. Hopefully, once everything is rectified, he resigns from the AD position with the right man to replace him already on the scene. Long term could spell disaster for any team that doesn't play their home games inside Neyland Stadium.

It has been reported that he has a 2 year appointment. Not sure how that affects getting a new good coach.

It has been reported that he has a 2 year appointment. Not sure how that affects getting a new good coach.

I think the "two years" is more of a sign of commitment. Once things calm down, I can see him stepping down. Best case scenario, Holly figures things out and Barnes continues to show life this season so we don't need replacements there. Him talking about being a Little League coach gives me hope he knows he's a stopgap.

You just described Les Miles or Cutcliffe (if he were an option).

My money is it will be Steele or Tee. Maybe Cutcliffe can be persuaded to come now. Not sure how I feel about it.

All in all, I would rather have Blackburn as AD.

My money is it will be Steele or Tee. Maybe Cutcliffe can be persuaded to come now. Not sure how I feel about it.

All in all, I would rather have Blackburn as AD.

Most people here probably would. Just going to take a few days of laying off the sauce and for this fiasco to burn out for us all to come back to our senses.

Hiring Phil as AD permanently is reactionary.

Fulmer will do fine. He will do what is best for Tennessee. He will quickly secure a coach that will, at the very least, right the ship and stabilize things. He won't be bullied around. Even if Les Miles is named short-term, he will get things rolling again. This is a good thing. And put me down as not being a fan of bringing back Kiffin or getting Leach. We don't need that right now.

2 year appointment is just a way of not repeating the past mistakes of offering an Admin a long contract with a big buyout.

You watch - Phil will right this ship and be here for many, many years.

As far as a new coach - it is what it is - the 2 year tenure reflects to a prospective coach no more about program stability than the last 10 years does...

Correction: The 2 years is not correct. It has been corrected by the source to indefinite in the appointment letter.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back