Dillon Bates out for the year

I am not positive on this, but I think when discussing participation for medical redshirts they can also use percentage of snaps played to determine 30% or less.

I am not positive on this, but I think when discussing participation for medical redshirts they can also use percentage of snaps played to determine 30% or less.
You are correct and I doubt Butch would say he's applying for a redshirt if he knew it'd be denied.

Anyone can take a red shirt at anytime. A medical red shirt has to granted by the ncaa, most times depending ones actual playing time before the injury. If I’m not mistaken there have been players who red shirted then were granted another medical red shirt year. Correct me if I’m wrong. Whether he wants or is granted an addition year lets hope he has a full, 100% recovery.

One can not take a red shirt if he has played in a game unless he has not played in 30% of the games when the injury. If he did not play in either game 1 or game 2, he should be able to get a red shirt.

It's only the number of games participated in that count rather than how much one plays in those games.

I actually know someone who gave him an x-ray. Obviously I'm not supposed to know this for legal reasons so I was not allowed to say anything about it. She was so excited and amazed at how big he was.

Anyways she laughed when the first question was "what was wrong!?!?!?" and she said she couldn't see anything in the x-ray. Guess the MRI gave the bad news.

Correct on all counts. However, the requirements for a medical redshirt apparently differ ever so slightly from conference to conference. For example, Virginia Tech's guidelines for medical redshirts, which presumably reflect ACC mandates, are as follows:

(1) The student-athlete may not have participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent of the team's completed contests/dates of competition.

(2) The injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the season.

(3) The injury or illness does not have to occur during practice/competition, but it must be incapacitating (see Virginia Tech Department of Athletics).

Oklahoma's policy on the matter permits medical redshirts if an athlete "suffers an injury or illness that prevents them from finishing the current season. The injury must occur during the first half of the season, and the player can't have participated in more than three games (or 30 percent of the scheduled games, whichever is greater)" (How the NCAA allows medical exemptions | News OK).

Depending on what SEC guidelines are on this matter, I would not consider it a given that Dillon will receive a medical redshirt.

Virginia Tech needs to update their information. The standard was changed from 20% to 30% in 2007, and all Div. I programs/conferences base their waiver decisions on that NCAA-mandated standard along with the other pertinent criteria.

While the NCAA has established the guidelines for hardship eligibility, the individual conferences are responsible for actually administering (and granting) the waivers.

Also, FWIW, the application process for a hardship waiver (i.e., medical redshirt) begins after the season is complete.

I actually know someone who gave him an x-ray. Obviously I'm not supposed to know this for legal reasons so I was not allowed to say anything about it. She was so excited and amazed at how big he was.

Anyways she laughed when the first question was "what was wrong!?!?!?" and she said she couldn't see anything in the x-ray. Guess the MRI gave the bad news.

:question:

Reactions: 1 person
Bates qualifies for a medical hardship waiver under all NCAA criteria. The rule states that "any computation of the percent limitation that results in a fractional portion of a contest of date of competition shall be rounded to the next whole number." So in this case, 30% of 12 = 3.6, which is rounded up to 4.

well_done_sir.gif

Reactions: 1 person

I Would probably delete this post. Working in the medical field, if in fact your friend did do his x-ray, and someone wanted to be an ahole, she could get in serious trouble for discussing any of that with you. Wouldnt be hard for someone in the know to make a connection between the x-ray tech and this post, if true...

Violating HIPAA privacy laws is a good way to lose a good job and get sued.

Reactions: 2 people
Sux cuz he was a great pass coverage LB. But we will be alright. It sure would have been nice to get that experience in before AJ graduated though.

With all the stud linemen coming in next year does anyone think Maggitt goes back to being a full-time LB?

How much more snakebit can we get. He's losing valuable playing time but he'll come back 10-15 lbs bigger in the spring. Best wishes Dillon.

I Would probably delete this post. Working in the medical field, if in fact your friend did do his x-ray, and someone wanted to be an ahole, she could get in serious trouble for discussing any of that with you. Wouldnt be hard for someone in the know to make a connection between the x-ray tech and this post, if true...

Agreed.

Seeing as you have no idea who I am, and even if you did I wouldn't tell you who that person is I think I'm good.

Seeing as you have no idea who I am, and even if you did I wouldn't tell you who that person is I think I'm good.

You do know people can find out everything about you, simply based on your posting online right?

VN Store

Back