Dillon Bates out for the year

They are saying the injury is from Ark State.

So for the medical redshirt he should be okay for the 30%

This is good. ^^^^

I just hope the UT Football Roster is not correct.

Dillon Bates Bio - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

The problem with that roster is it just shows cumulative data, instead of game by game. Whoever's responsible for it's maintenance could well be just rolling numbers over on game participation and not know Dillon didn't play/dress out at GA.
And that's another question. What if you're on the dress out roster but don't go in the game?

The injury was yes, but he still played vs Georgia...that's the issue. Had he not played vs Georgia, the redshirt is granted 100%. The only way to get it now, is to apply for a waiver from the NCAA

The injury was yes, but he still played vs Georgia...that's the issue. Had he not played vs Georgia, the redshirt is granted 100%. The only way to get it now, is to apply for a waiver from the NCAA

Did he actually get in vs GA? When?

It doesn't matter if he was injured in the Ark state game if he still played after that......

It doesn't matter if he was injured in the Ark state game if he still played after that......

I'm thinking this will be a 50/50 deal. We tried to get one for Jaylen Miller last year but nope, he played in 3 games. The official roster listed him as a RS freshman for a while before settling on sophomore iirc.

Reactions: 1 person
Did he actually get in vs GA? When?

I don't know if he did, everyone is saying he played in all 4 games, but the 247 freshman report doesn't list him. That could be because he didn't play, or be that he didn't have any stats to talk about.

Hopefully he didn't play

I can't remember the last time UT has been lucky to be honest

I would agree with you... then I remember that if we had beaten Vandy in 2012, we would have had one more year of Dooley and his non-coaching and non-recruiting, while Butch moved on to Colorado. And then we would be sinking further into the abyss instead of finally crawling out of it. The only thing luckier than Dooley being gone is for Dooley never to have come.

A shame for Dillon, but I'm glad he's getting the RS and hope he heals quickly!

Reactions: 1 person
Bates qualifies for a medical hardship waiver under all NCAA criteria. The rule states that "any computation of the percent limitation that results in a fractional portion of a contest of date of competition shall be rounded to the next whole number." So in this case, 30% of 12 = 3.6, which is rounded up to 4.

Bates qualifies for a medical hardship waiver under all NCAA criteria. The rule states that "any computation of the percent limitation that results in a fractional portion of a contest of date of competition shall be rounded to the next whole number." So in this case, 30% of 12 = 3.6, which is rounded up to 4.

Well .. hmmm.. i like ur cipherin'.

is this injury one that can nag one for their whole career?

Yes and no. It depends.

The labrum is the cartilage pad in the hip joint that the ball of the femur rotates under while walking/running.

My son tore his lightly tore in high school, and we were told to keep him off of it and it would heal then do rehab and no problem.

We did that and he he retore it 4 yrs later and does not know how, and had to have surgery.

Sometimes now he gets bad pains and clicking and walks with a cane. He may have to have surgery again.

To answer your question,

Some, tear it bad, get surgery, rehab, and are seemingly good as new.

Lots of others have problems with proper healing like my son has had. I've wondered if hauling a bookbag all over The Hill for four years made it worse. I would have thought, given the difficulty of some of his rehab exercises he'd have been good to go.

Yes and no. It depends.

The labrum is the cartilage pad in the hip joint that the ball of the femur rotates under while walking/running.

My son tore his lightly tore in high school, and we were told to keep him off of it and it would heal then do rehab and no problem.

We did that and he he retore it 4 yrs later and does not know how, and had to have surgery.

Sometimes now he gets bad pains and clicking and walks with a cane. He may have to have surgery again.

To answer your question,

Lots of others have problems with proper healing like my son has had. I've wondered if hauling a bookbag all over The Hill for four years made it worse. I would have thought, given the difficulty of some of his rehab exercises he'd have been good to go.

What is a labrum...

The labrum is a type of cartilage found in the shoulder joint. The shoulder is a ball and socket joint where the arm meets the body The arm bone (humerus) forms a ball at the shoulder which meets the socket which is part of the shoulder blade. These two bones are connected by ligaments which are tough tissues forming tethers that hold the bones in relationship to each other.

What is a labrum...

The labrum is a type of cartilage found in the shoulder joint. The shoulder is a ball and socket joint where the arm meets the body The arm bone (humerus) forms a ball at the shoulder which meets the socket which is part of the shoulder blade. These two bones are connected by ligaments which are tough tissues forming tethers that hold the bones in relationship to each other.

While I know that's right, I would have thought you would have stayed away from giving your medical expertise for a while.

Yes and no. It depends.

To answer your question,

Labrum is in the hip? Maybe but 99% of the time we're talking football injury it's the shoulder.

Last edited:
How to Get a Medical Redshirt

This says if just a few conditions are met, a Medical Hardship Waiver, or what's called the medical redshirt, is pretty much guaranteed.

1. Season ending injury?
Torn labrum ... check.

2. Prior to start of 2nd half of the season?
Only 4 played of 12 ... check.

3. Participation by injured athlete in no more than 30% of season or 3 games, whichever is greater.

This will be the tough nut. UT roster has him as the backup Will LB PLAYING/STARTING - 4/0.

4÷12=0.33. So he's over 3 contests but at 33%, which is the greater. It will depend on the date of his injury.

Correct on all counts. However, the requirements for a medical redshirt apparently differ ever so slightly from conference to conference. For example, Virginia Tech's guidelines for medical redshirts, which presumably reflect ACC mandates, are as follows:

(1) The student-athlete may not have participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent of the team's completed contests/dates of competition.

(2) The injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the season.

(3) The injury or illness does not have to occur during practice/competition, but it must be incapacitating (see Virginia Tech Department of Athletics).

Oklahoma's policy on the matter permits medical redshirts if an athlete "suffers an injury or illness that prevents them from finishing the current season. The injury must occur during the first half of the season, and the player can't have participated in more than three games (or 30 percent of the scheduled games, whichever is greater)" (How the NCAA allows medical exemptions | News OK).

Depending on what SEC guidelines are on this matter, I would not consider it a given that Dillon will receive a medical redshirt.

VN Store

Back