Diamond out!!

I thank Diamond for her services and I will miss her athleticism and point production... I don't have a problem with her going pro as I said before it is just the timing of her announcement. An athlete has a finite time to make money and a brand to live off of. Maybe she will write something to Lady Vol nation like she did when she announced she was coming back to UT. Another poster said that Diamond didn't owe anyone anything and I agree but disagree. She made her post about helping out the freshman and team and I think her coaches, teammates, and those freshman are the ones she owes an explanation too because she publicly brought them into her decision. Now if she has talked to them then much respect! If she hasn't then I think that is wrong. But I will say another VOL who went pro was Christian Coleman the sprinter. What a class act and he wrote a nice letter to Vol nation about his love for the school, how even though he is going pro wants to continue to represent TN in his actions, and also that he plans to finish his degree. It was sort of cool to read! I am glad Diamond got her degree and can provide a living for herself and family! That is something no one can ever take away from you even when your playing days are over.

Reactions: 1 person
Didn't let those doors at NC or here smack her in her little a$$. Too bad. She needed a little a$$ smackin' long before she and her possee tried to take NC by storm

Reactions: 3 people
I thank Diamond for her services and I will miss her athleticism and point production... I don't have a problem with her going pro as I said before it is just the timing of her announcement. An athlete has a finite time to make money and a brand to live off of. Maybe she will write something to Lady Vol nation like she did when she announced she was coming back to UT. Another poster said that Diamond didn't owe anyone anything and I agree but disagree. She made her post about helping out the freshman and team and I think her coaches, teammates, and those freshman are the ones she owes an explanation too because she publicly brought them into her decision. Now if she has talked to them then much respect! If she hasn't then I think that is wrong. But I will say another VOL who went pro was Christian Coleman the sprinter. What a class act and he wrote a nice letter to Vol nation about his love for the school, how even though he is going pro wants to continue to represent TN in his actions, and also that he plans to finish his degree. It was sort of cool to read! I am glad Diamond got her degree and can provide a living for herself and family! That is something no one can ever take away from you even when your playing days are over.

What about helping the head coach win a championship -- that would be a good reason to return. But, any known reason why she didn't emphasize the head coach/coaching staff, as a reason for a return? Maybe she meant, that the freshmen/team would need all the help they can get, but it just won't be, unfortunately, at this point, from her personal 1 on 1. Just speculating. Go Vols !

What about helping the head coach win a championship -- that would be a good reason to return. But, any known reason why she didn't emphasize the head coach/coaching staff, as a reason for a return? Maybe she meant, that the freshmen/team would need all the help they can get, but it just won't be, unfortunately, at this point, from her personal 1 on 1. Just speculating. Go Vols !

Her post was about guiding the freshman and being a big sister to them like she never got the chance to have someone (a teammate) lead her at UNC ... so it didn't refer to the coaches because it addressed the lack of being able to be a freshman and male freshman mistakes because she didn't have that opportunity with the UNC upperclassmen. Regardless you brought up an excellent point she may have been saying something about the freshman needing all he help they could get so again she owes the and the team an explanation. Which she may have tried to do. I do love all the freshman responses on how committed they seem to he current team and players. You also noticed that Diamonds teammates none of them have reacted to the news in im going t miss you way. Mercedes and Te'a have said they will miss one another but and Jaime and Alexa have made mention of being best friends still but nothing on Diamond other then some cryptic quotes from her teammates none being sad emojis.

Reactions: 6 people
Her post was about guiding the freshman and being a big sister to them like she never got the chance to have someone (a teammate) lead her at UNC ... so it didn't refer to the coaches because it addressed the lack of being able to be a freshman and male freshman mistakes because she didn't have that opportunity with the UNC upperclassmen. Regardless you brought up an excellent point she may have been saying something about the freshman needing all he help they could get so again she owes the and the team an explanation. Which she may have tried to do. I do love all the freshman responses on how committed they seem to he current team and players. You also noticed that Diamonds teammates none of them have reacted to the news in im going t miss you way. Mercedes and Te'a have said they will miss one another but and Jaime and Alexa have made mention of being best friends still but nothing on Diamond other then some cryptic quotes from her teammates none being sad emojis.

My point exactly which leads me to believe many may have felt she was the problem and they now know that the can be a team!

Reactions: 4 people
Damn right.

The coach has to be the catalyst though. You have got to be stronger than your player. Or your players parent.

Yup and I only had one parent not buy in and they tried to go elsewhere and quickly learned I was the only coach willing to put up with them and their child.

Child never made another team in the area or his high school (outside of his churches team).

I have had many athletes like DD... When you start letting them run the show, this happens.

TEAM UP ... Hope so

Very true..... Who can be surprised.... DD grew up in an environment where she was not forced to accomplish things in concert with others.... only to pursue what she wanted and on her own terms.... I too have coached that type... it was difficult to change them

Very true..... Who can be surprised.... DD grew up in an environment where she was not forced to accomplish things in concert with others.... only to pursue what she wanted and on her own terms.... I too have coached that type... it was difficult to change them

You don't change them, you navigate them.

I had a team, before games, four sat together, one sit with headphones, one sat by herself and stared into a rage, ,,,You don't change the girls you go out and choose (unless they want to be changed)...You coach those mixtures of personalities into a cohesive and one-focused group. . . And when the game is over, you let them be themselves again.

But you got to be a helluva coach to do it..

You don't change them, you navigate them.

I had a team, before games, four sat together, one sit with headphones, one sat by herself and stared into a rage, ,,,You don't change the girls you go out and choose (unless they want to be changed)...You coach those mixtures of personalities into a cohesive and one-focused group. . . And when the game is over, you let them be themselves again.

But you got to be a helluva coach to do it..

Yup nobody said it cannot be done at same time nobody said it is east to do as you say

We will be ok Holly won 3 sec titles without diamond I will miss her yes but her choice to leave no need to dwell on it.. now let's see what Holly does this off-season with the assistant hiring I think we need an outsider new perspective and with no player on this team that can create there own shot on this team they have to play as a team

It is not like we have no talent there is all Americans and a first team sec and sec team on the roster and a juco player who I hear I making noise

I heard that she was going to be the number one draft pick. What will the WNBA do now?

I wonder about that too. Does she have to enter the league via draft, or can she sign a training camp directly with any team interested in her?

Thanks. But it looks like they are talking about for the current season. I was wondering what the rule is for someone that goes directly overseas. Seems like Ephiphanny entered the WNBA via draft, so I guess the same would be true for Diamond as well as Mandy says.

Yes she has to be drafted, the WNBA no longer holds tryouts (unless it is an Expansion team I believe)

I wonder about that too. Does she have to enter the league via draft, or can she sign a training camp directly with any team interested in her?
If I remember correctly, a player has to be eligible and declare for two drafts. If the player is not selected by a team in the first or second draft, she becomes a free agent and can sign with any team. If I remember correctly, the players sign a contract with the league, not the team.

This is a union regulation (Women's Nation Basketball Player's Association), not an WNBA rule. Given these restrictions a free agent signing would be a rare occurrence since the player was not selected in 2 drafts.

Thanks. But it looks like they are talking about for the current season. I was wondering what the rule is for someone that goes directly overseas. Seems like Ephiphanny entered the WNBA via draft, so I guess the same would be true for Diamond as well as Mandy says.

Ohhhh sorry, Amb! I missed that....

All these posts about someone who left the Lady Vols let's put some more love into the Catch thread that was started ! She deserves the love and attention!

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back