Defensive changes for 2023

What ever gets us a top 10 defense in every category. Don't care how it happens as long as it happens and then I'll be happy

If that is your criteria for happiness, I'm afraid you are going to be unhappy (with our defense) as long as Coach Heupel coaches in Knoxville. This offense is as challenging to our defense as it is to opposing teams. They will simply be on the field too long, almost every week.

If that is your criteria for happiness, I'm afraid you are going to be unhappy (with our defense) as long as Coach Heupel coaches in Knoxville. This offense is as challenging to our defense as it is to opposing teams. They will simply be on the field too long, almost every week.

One can argue the opposite. Better defense means less time on the field and more opportunities our offense gets with the ball.

I’d fire the entire defensive staff (yes, including Garner). Bring in a proven DC coach who can assemble his entire staff.
Garner did a fabulous job with our DL. We dominated the LOS in most every game except SC. And, he's one of the best recruiters in college football.

Slaughter was a 4*, Turnage was a 4*, Turrentine was a 4*, Rucker was a 3* with a great offer list and the current recruiting class is loaded with 4* DB's, so we are not completely devoid of talent back there. I'm inclined to see what Banks can do with this squad, but this secondary has some talent and more coming in. If we're not vastly improved on pass coverage next season, Heupel has to cut Martinez loose. We've seen Banks scheme pretty well. I just don't think whatever Martinez is teaching is working in today's SEC.
Slaughter ran a 4.65 out of highschool. Flowers was similar 4.67. fastest for any player I could find in the starting secondary was 4.5, one person.

New players coming in are all track guys, 2 have sub 11 sec 100m and placed in state finals. Another was clocked 4.30 laser timed. I made a post a couple of weeks ago on here about it search my post and you'll see it or look it up yourself.

We were just slow this year. Can't coach fast twitch speed, only tune it slightly.

We are getting much faster across the entire board. 4 potential dbs running 4.3 or faster. All are track guys, placed in state at every level.

Time of possession is misleading because they’re standing or paused, waiting because the offense is burning clock.

Slaughter ran a 4.65 out of highschool. Flowers was similar 4.67. fastest for any player I could find in the starting secondary was 4.5, one person.

New players coming in are all track guys, 2 have sub 11 sec 100m and placed in state finals. Another was clocked 4.30 laser timed. I made a post a couple of weeks ago on here about it search my post and you'll see it or look it up yourself.

We were just slow this year. Can't coach fast twitch speed, only tune it slightly.
Slow guys look out of position often, miss tackles, don’t wrap up, get burned, can’t make plays, multiple busts and anything else I’m missing?

Reactions: Dadof2Vols
Slow guys look out of position often, miss tackles, don’t wrap up, get burned, can’t make plays, multiple busts and anything else I’m missing?
Lol, pretty much got it all summed up...

That made me spit out my drink. You might be able to get away with one of those things or even two of them especially if you have a lot of speed for recovery... When you don't have recovery speed you have to be sound fundamentally and execute every single time, which is almost impossible.

Reactions: FollowTheLeader

VN Store

Back