Defensive changes for 2023

What specific defensive changes (personnel, positions and Coaching Staff), would you like to see in 2023? Go Vols!
- McDonald to ILB
- Charles and Slaughter back to safety
- More standup rushing for Pearce and Josephs
- Playing more Seminole defense with Herring also in to rush with Pearce, Josephs, Barron and Harrison all at the same time.

- McDonald to ILB
- Playing more Seminole defense with Herring also in to rush with Pearce, Josephs, Barron and Harrison all at the same time.

I definitely like the way McDonald hits…I’m hoping all the guys with eligibility remaining return and we can pick up another IS LB and a cover corner in the portal.

We need true linebackers. We need an Al Wilson
The biggest need for next year. Losing the best LB and not much depth left on the roster. Mitchell was terrible the last few games and was a big disappointment all year. Hopefully Herring takes a big step forward next year and becomes a starter. Need at least 1 big time LBer from the portal.

Make a move towards upper level talent. All across the board. A defense that gets off of the bus looking big, physical and intimidating. One where the corners can come up and stop a play in it's tracks with a solid hit. SEC champion level defense. No undersize guys or tweeners.

- McDonald to ILB

How much does McDonald weigh? Shows 200lbs on the roster. Need a little more weight on him, but I like that call.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
A new DC would be great
Better players in the secondary would be better!
We need to give Willie Martinez a one way ticket to Tahiti.

Slaughter was a 4*, Turnage was a 4*, Turrentine was a 4*, Rucker was a 3* with a great offer list and the current recruiting class is loaded with 4* DB's, so we are not completely devoid of talent back there. I'm inclined to see what Banks can do with this squad, but this secondary has some talent and more coming in. If we're not vastly improved on pass coverage next season, Heupel has to cut Martinez loose. We've seen Banks scheme pretty well. I just don't think whatever Martinez is teaching is working in today's SEC.

New scheme/philosophy if not new DC
New DB coach
Transfer portal for CB
McDonald to SS
Walker to FS
Slaughter to STAR
Turrentine to STAR

Assuming we get no transfers starting lineup is probably:

DL- same except Harrison at LEO and losing Garland at DT, plenty of options
Mike- Herring
Will- Beasley
CB- Burrell
CB- Turnage/Hadden
STAR- Slaughter
FS- Walker
SS- McCollough

Reactions: lexkyvol and Vol737
The biggest need for next year. Losing the best LB and not much depth left on the roster. Mitchell was terrible the last few games and was a big disappointment all year. Hopefully Herring takes a big step forward next year and becomes a starter. Need at least 1 big time LBer from the portal.
Mitchell has a bad leg so unfortunately, what you see is what you get...

What specific defensive changes (personnel, positions and Coaching Staff), would you like to see in 2023? Go Vols!
I’d fire the entire defensive staff (yes, including Garner). Bring in a proven DC coach who can assemble his entire staff.

I’d fire the entire defensive staff (yes, including Garner). Bring in a proven DC coach who can assemble his entire staff.

You are out of your mind. Our D line was very respectable this year. Garner has coached these guys up and it shows and he's a great recruiter as you can tell by the recruits coming in on D Line.

I think at the very least move WM out!!! For portal, LBs. With all the new back end guys coming in, give a new coach and players clean slate!

There has to be a young DB coach out there that's dialed into today's college game that could light a fire under this secondary. Those guys just can't just solely exist on the offensive side of the ball. Has to be a counterpart out there to Golesh, Briles and Lebby's of the world.

VN Store

Back