Defensive changes for 2023

Stop making it sound like a team full of wall ons could go out and beat Vandy. They couldn’t. Vandy beat UF. The same UF that essentially blanked the same SC team that killed us and beat SC.
Maybe their whole team should transfer here since you're so impressed with them

we have the defensive talent to beat 11 out of 12 teams.....fact. hell, we beat bama.
10 out of 12. If you’re banking on this as your strategy, you’re going to be disappointed.
I’m confident Heupel is going to produce offensively. Is he going to catch lightning in a bottle and have a Hyatt and a Hooker? Probably not.

Trying to attribute the success of 2022 to defense is really a reach. Heupel’s offense covered up a multitude of sins. I used to think that d coordinators wouldn’t want the extra pressure Heupel’s O creates due to quick scoring, but ir actually would be a dream as they can have a lot more margin of error.

This is curious. I wonder how many times the teams with the top ranked offense wins it all?
Often, if they have a decent defense. The team who scores the most points wins the game. Our defense was marginal and having a number of injuries at the LB and DBs hurt an already average defense. I expect the defense to be better next year but I also think the offense may not be as good. We have a few holes to fill on both sides of the line and will have to have some help from the portal and true and redshirt Freshmen. After next year, I expect we will be more stable on both offense and defense.

If you think about some of the guys we got from Juco in the past, we could conceivably throw enough NIL at this problem if they exist …
Off top of my head:
Julian Battle and Gibril Wilson - both NFL dbacks- and were both huge for us that season…

And Dan McCullers.

And Chris Mims too- and Chuck Smith - and Corey Terry.

Think about the difference those guys would make on this team.
That right there would have destroyed South Carolina. And I maintain that had our dumbass linebacker made the trip we would have won that game anyway.

That group beats Georgia too. Hell, Stroud doesn’t survive that game.

Then what if we added in legend status : Jesse Mahelona, Leonard Little and Dale Carter ?

That’s an NC defense right there- you wouldn’t need but 3 points a game.
All from Juco.

So maybe we can find one or two of this level of true difference maker, and all of a sudden the situation isn’t so dire - because right now, as we all know, it’s kinda dire….

We got a good DC living in Knoxville . He’s coached with Rodney Garner before. Probably one of the best LB Coaches in the Country. He played for Tennessee. Has coached for Tennessee . Who is he ?

Yes. He’s 66, bleeds Orange . I think he’s got several good years left in him. I think he would take the job, to coach with Garner again. Proven LB coach. Between him and Garner, I know they can come up with a proven Secondary coach. They know a lot of people!

Reactions: Sudden Impact
10 out of 12. If you’re banking on this as your strategy, you’re going to be disappointed.
I’m confident Heupel is going to produce offensively. Is he going to catch lightning in a bottle and have a Hyatt and a Hooker? Probably not.

Trying to attribute the success of 2022 to defense is really a reach. Heupel’s offense covered up a multitude of sins. I used to think that d coordinators wouldn’t want the extra pressure Heupel’s O creates due to quick scoring, but ir actually would be a dream as they can have a lot more margin of error.
No fam, 11 out of 12, svae uga. u do realize sc has 4....count em, 4 sec losses. this means 3 of those 4....i repeat 3 of those 4.......are against teams that finished below us. so, my original statement stands correct.

Reactions: Volmac2022
I have no idea at all what HCJH will do on the D side of the ball.

The 1 really critical thing he MUST do is that any D coach he replaces absolutely MUST be a top notch, ace recruiter of top D talent to get our roster full of studs and to KEEP it full!!!

If our O is going to continue to score as fast as they do and put up as many points as they do then our D roster is going to need some studs that can play fast, wrap up when they tackle and can play really well for the extra time they'll have to be on the field or we're going to need more really good D players for a rock solid rotation.

I'm really sick and tired of seeing our D players hardly ever wrap up when they tackle and our coaches MUST start insisting that our D players USE their arms and hands and WRAP UP the guys when they make a tackle.

I love to see our guys flatout slobberknocker some guys but too often they hit a guy pretty hard and he just keeps on going because we failed to wrap him up and take him down.

In the SEC, and with new Teams being added, any new position coach we hire MUST be a top recruiter because without really good Jimmies and Joes we may be a really good Team but we won't WIN the SEC Championship or the National Championship.

Those are the 2 trophies I believe we deserve!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

VN Store

Back