Dabo vs Butch

Pretty sure that Cinci team had just as many guys go pro as the Tennessee team.
That's a convenient metric. Pretty sure you're wrong but I don't care to check. Off the top of my head TN had Bray, DaRick, Patterson, Hunter, Rivera, Darr, Malik Jackson all go pro.. and I'm sure there are more. Cincy had who?

Reactions: 1 person
Just to compare. Not meant to be bashing or supporting just looking at stats ONLY......

Dabo conference record first 4 years..... 19-10
Butch...... 14-18

Overall record Dabo...... 29-19 Bowl record 1-3
Butch....... 30-21........ Bowl record 3-0

Dabo one conference and one division title
Butch None

Recruiting
Dabo..... 31, 28, 10, 15 ( first 4 full years)
Butch..... 24, 7, 4, 14

Butch champions of life
Dabo champions of life, love and football

Food for thought
Anyone that counts Butch's first two seasons against him is stupid.

That's a convenient metric. Pretty sure you're wrong but I don't care to check. Off the top of my head TN had Bray, DaRick, Patterson, Hunter, Rivera, Darr, Malik Jackson all go pro.. and I'm sure there are more. Cincy had who?

Patterson wasn't on the 2011 squad. Cincy's 2011 squad had Travis Kelce, Isaiah Pead, Derek Wolfe, John Hughes, and Adrian Robinson go pro, so 6-5 advantage for the Vols.

Why? U see the numbers?

I think what he's saying is Butch has had 2 other HC positions. This is Dabo's first. Hard to fathom. Most mocked the hire when it happened. So, you would expect a gamble and growing pains. Butch has had better recruiting and more experience as a HC, so one would expect better results. However, Clemson was not a dumpster fire and the ACC at that time was weaker than milk toast.

True! But you do know CBJ has not been at UT years 7 thru 9 TO compare, right? Through year four, samey same, Dabo went 9-4 in 2011, CBJ went 9-4 in 2016.

You do realize LBJ has been a coach before UT right? Dabo is still at his first job.

Just to compare. Not meant to be bashing or supporting just looking at stats ONLY......

Butch...... 14-18

Butch None

Recruiting
Butch..... 24, 7, 4, 14

Butch champions of life

Food for thought
All these desperate comparisons sound all to familiar to the Dooley Days.

Getting rid of Dooley next year would be a huge mistake

What if Clemson had **** canned Dabo last year when people were calling for his head?

Swinney was named head coach in 2008. Do you actually pay any attention to college football?
Swinney's first three years at Clemson - 4-3, 9-5, 6-7. This is his fourth year.

Saban and Dooley accomplished a lot more with a lot less than what Saban had; on both lines, on the bench, minus all the open scholly's this year, and Freshman all over the field. The future looks real good! GBO!

Dooley is not going anywhere. If this team continues to play like they did on sat, i will be happy. Their demeanor was so much better than the fl game, playcalling was better. So many positives. I am happy.............for now.

Up another contract!!!!!!

Dooley has shown a lot improvement. Even thou our players weren't ready to beat UF and UGA yet, We wen't toe to toe with them. I think if we go toe to toe with Bama and beat Miss St, we should give him a contract. Dooley walked into one of the worst mess in college football. 3 coaches in 3 years isn't something every program does and still have great seasons. Also, Firing Dooley would be stupid because we will lose recruits, players, coordinators, etc.... I don't want to start over again. We finally have a team that can compete in the SEC. Why put us back another 3 more years? That means 3 more years of losing to UF, UGA, and Bama. I don't want that and you negavols don't want that.
Go Vols!!!!! VFL!!!!!!!:)

At this point I think we should at least honor his contract. Dabo got 4 years at Clemson and everyone thought he should have been fired. How'd that turn out?

Reactions: 3 people

Butch...... 14-18

Butch None

Recruiting
Butch..... 24, 7, 4, 14

Butch champions of life

Food for thought

Did they ever meet head to head while Butchs was at Cincinnati?

Va Tech, GA, FL, and NEB disagree. But keep spewing your same rhetoric over and over.. maybe it'll make you feel justified after a while.

VT- I'll give you that one but had Tennessee played them later in the year after they we're hitting on all cylinders I'm not so sure that game doesn't end up going the other way.

UGA- Kirby Smart really showed his true colors this year didn't he?

Florida- Ended up being who we thought they were preseason, mediocre.

Nebraska- Are you freaking kidding me? That wasn't a 90's black shirt defense UT was playing against.

But since were playing that game...........

How about App state?
What about Vandy? 2 times in 4 years
What about USC?

Reactions: 2 people

Butch...... 14-18

Butch None

Recruiting
Butch..... 24, 7, 4, 14

Butch champions of life

Food for thought

Can't compare the two. I do give Clemson credit for beating Alabama. But, Dabo has been there 11 years and is in the ACC. It's been them and FSU and that's it untill Louisville popped up this year. No comparison.

You do realize LBJ has been a coach before UT right? Dabo is still at his first job.

Yes. This was both their first jobs in a power 5 conference though. Also hard to do to much other than compare hard #s. Why? Dabo inherited a somewhat stocked roster as he competed for his conference title in his year 2, not his own players. CBJ inherited a roster not well stocked consequently development comparisons hard to make, stuff like that. However the fact remains, both when given the opportunity to coach at the power 5 level, in their respective year fours, both rolled in with 9-4 records. Are you one of those butthurt over the facts? They are what they are none of us should read too much or too little from them, they're just there staring us in the face.

Can't compare the two. I do give Clemson credit for beating Alabama. But, Dabo has been there 11 years and is in the ACC. It's been them and FSU and that's it untill Louisville popped up this year. No comparison.

And the SEC has been Alabama and.......

Butch...... 14-18

Butch None

Recruiting
Butch..... 24, 7, 4, 14

Butch champions of life

Food for thought

To me, those numbers really aren't that different when you think about it. I mean, one conference record is from the ACC and one is from the SEC. Also, Butch started with a dumpster fire, and has built the program up from scratch. I for one am impressed with the job he has done here in such a short time.

Reactions: 3 people
I would be embarrassed to type that and hit enter. If you think the ACC bottom dwellers compare to the SECs your delusional.

ACC was 10 - 4 against SEC this year. Pound your chest with the ol SEC, SEC all you want, i prefer to base my opinion on actual results, which are currently not in our favor.

Every time Jones makes a step up in class( MAC-Big East-SEC), his winning percentage takes a hit.

It's not a 4 year trend just at TN, it's his trend as a head coach for 10 years overall.

And with the attrition Jones' rosters has had for 4 seasons with injuries, transfers, busts, and players just up and quitting, his recruiting rankings are almost meaningless at this point.

Would be interesting to see CBJ vs CDS in catatgories such as wins against top 10-15 teams, ranked teams, division titles in the same time span. But i have a feeling it would help the case for CBJ very much.

I would be embarrassed to type that and hit enter. If you think the ACC bottom dwellers compare to the SECs your delusional.

NC State didn't get your memo on SEC dominance.

They rolled the same Vandy team that the Vols couldn't beat for a Sugar Bowl.

I'd be embarrassed for not knowing that if I were you.

Dabo made some bonehead decisions, imo, in the championship game but his players saved him. If Butch did some of those things, VN would melt down.

OK.....here is something interesting. These Dabo threads would not even be happening on here BUT they were able to hang on against much weaker teams and teams not as talented/experienced as them...breaks went there way...

Auburn 19-13
TROY 30-24
Louisville 42-36
NC State 24-17 (OT)
Pittsburgh 43-42
FSU 37-34
Va. Tech 42-35

Skin of their tiger fangs...but they made it.

Dabo made some bonehead decisions, imo, in the championship game but his players saved him. If Butch did some of those things, VN would melt down.

Are you saying VN would be in a meltdown if CBJ could manage a season that would result in an appearence in the national championship game and people would still question the decisions that got them there? Unfortunately, for us its not likely we will ever know the answer to that question. But i guess its fun to speculate. Id like to speculate on not being able to recruiter and develop enough quality depth to beat SEC bottom feeders.

OK.....here is something interesting. These Dabo threads would not even be happening on here BUT they were able to hang on against much weaker teams and teams not as talented/experienced as them...breaks went there way...

Auburn 19-13
TROY 30-24
Louisville 42-36
NC State 24-17 (OT)
Pittsburgh 43-42
FSU 37-34
Va. Tech 42-35

Skin of their tiger fangs...but they made it.

So you are saying they figured out a way to win games resulting in a National Championship? Interesting.

If you look back at every single NC you will find the same thing. I cant remember a team that absolutely dominated everyone they played. Nothing new here

This year, with a healthy rotation of DT's, is gonna do it for me. As long as nothing catastrophic happens on the injury front ( like this year ), I expect to see us very competitive against the good teams and to beat the ones we should beat. Butch at some point, has to prove that he is one of the two or three best coaches in this conference, bottom line. That time is now, for me. It was this past year, but i understand that losing 4 DT's to injury/allegations is very tough. Then, toss in losing Sutton, Maybin, Kirkland, etc... I have to admit though, it irritates me that Picou and Bain were getting significant reps in the bowl game and makes me wonder why they weren't used sooner. They have more the size you need to play DT.

Bottom line Negas and Pumpers, after this year, more than likely I'm gonna be one or the other. Butch ain't got 8 years to grow into one of the best. At UT, we expect to be in that SEC Championship game once every 5 years or so, maybe more, maybe less. I'm not exactly sure what the fan base expects. Most likely, seeing how popular college football is around the country, our fans expect at least a championship game appearance once every 5 years.

VN Store

Back