Dabo vs Butch

According to Dabo, God has only been helping Clemson this whole time....

I respectfully disagree, sir....that's NOT what Dabo was doing last night at all...nor what his intent was in any honest evaluation of his words....

He was reflecting a genuine humility in refusing to rob the LORD God of the glory due to His name...and rightfully praising the LORD for taking a NOBODY from Pelham, Alabama and putting him on a stage before the entire sports world as a Championship coach....

Doesn't everyone love the David vs. Goliath story???

He never said that the LORD refused to help Alabama, nor anyone else or any other team...nor even remotely insinuated any such notion....:hi:

Reactions: 6 people
LBJ's actual first 4 years were more comparable than his 7th-10th seasons as the HC at UT.

What's Dabo done in his 7th-9th year? I bet the numbers aren't even comparable...

True! But you do know CBJ has not been at UT years 7 thru 9 TO compare, right? Through year four, samey same, Dabo went 9-4 in 2011, CBJ went 9-4 in 2016.

You have to give CBJ 5 more seasons to find out. At the end of their fourth season interestingly enough both were 9-4.

People really need to think about canning a 9-4 coach for another guy no better when the first guy given time could bring in a NC. I'm not sure CBJ can. I'm for unconvinced he can't either at this point. Where's all my "he can't beat Florida" VN cats at? Dabo couldn't get by FSU until very recently.

Well....you do make some assumptions in your argument...

1) There's no one else out there better than CBJ; and
2) Assuming CBJ is as good as Dabo.

We already have an example in the SEC East of a team who did just what you argue against--and improved their program immensely!!

UGa fired Jim Donnan after going 8-4 in his 5th year and hired Mark Richt....and that worked out very well for the puppies....

UGa fired Jim Donnan after going 8-4 in his 5th year and hired Mark Richt....and that worked out very well for the puppies....
Did it though? How many NC rings do they have to show for it? Mind you that NC rings are the only useable metric according to VN. And Jim Donnan is in the CFB HOF btw.

Well....you do make some assumptions in your argument...

1) There's no one else out there better than CBJ; and
2) Assuming CBJ is as good as Dabo.

We already have an example in the SEC East of a team who did just what you argue against--and improved their program immensely!!

Respectfully, your #1 is your straw man. You set it up,not I. Yours to deal with as I never made that assumption.

Respectfully, your #2 is your straw man. You set it up,not I. Yours to deal with as I never made the claim Dabo was as good as CBJ or the reverse, just pointing out, if the Big Tuna is right about your numbers are who you really are, CBJ and Dabo had the equivalent records in their year fours.

I know it's hard, sort of warped me when I went into Dabo's record at Clemson as well. The hint was his insistence we all understand he has been at Clemson ten years putting this together.

I'm not sure how you can argue recruiting when Butch's numbers thus far have been better.

I think the argument here is capability to coach them up. For someone that wanted to dive in (I might tomorrow) I would be interested in comparing their talent ranking to their performance and doing the same with ours and look at the rate of under/over achievement.

Butch has never out recruited Dabo. If you go solely on rankings you can spin a story, barely. But if you look at the players and their production since Butch came to UT and compare it to the player production and NFL talent between the two schools Butch gets boat raced bad. Clem has out recruited UT every year based upon the only thing that matters, player performance and entrance into the league.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch has never out recruited Dabo. If you go solely on rankings you can spin a story, barely. But if you look at the players and their production since Butch came to UT and compare it to the player production and NFL talent between the two schools Butch gets boat raced bad. Clem has out recruited UT every year based upon the only thing that matters, player performance and entrance into the league.
Not a fair comparison up to this point. Butch's cupboard was absolutely bare when he took over. This will be the first draft he should be expected to produce draft picks. And he will produce a top 5 pick and perennial All-Star in DB. Also, DB is better than any player that has come out of Clemson under Dabo.

The list I gave above of the countless 5 star talent Clemson has signed under Dabo won't match Bama, but it sure as hell beats most schools the past 8 years and it continues, especially at the key spots. They have signed the no. 1 QB in Watson, and the no. 1 Qb in 16and now the no. 1 QB in 17

Last edited:
There is no comparison and no way Butch's story ends the same way Dabo's has. The end.

If JG lights it up, we can have similar results. Not saying we will, but there is good reason to believe with pieces in place, that the right qb can raise the tide for all boats. Clemson didn't have all the pieces initially w Watson, but built around him, and now have stockpile behind him. We can do this.

If JG lights it up, we can have similar results. Not saying we will, but there is good reason to believe with pieces in place, that the right qb can raise the tide for all boats. Clemson didn't have all the pieces initially w Watson, but built around him, and now have stockpile behind him. We can do this.
Clem did have the pieces around Watson by the time he replaced Taj Boyd. That's the reason they were a top ten team Watson's fresh year and why they made it to the NCG his soph and JR years. He will leave college one year early having won the NCG. When Watson stepped on campus they were loaded for bear already.

There is no comparison and no way Butch's story ends the same way Dabo's has. The end.

There's never going to be the exact same circumstances to anything in life. That doesn't mean a comparison can't be made. It just might not be convenient

Reactions: 1 person
There's never going to be the exact same circumstances to anything in life. That doesn't mean a comparison can't be made. It just might not be convenient
Forgive the negas, they aren't exactly grounded in reality.

Maybe it's not the recruits that's the problem but the development they receive after they reach their destination? UT has recruited some great athletes but I think the biggest difference between the 2 coaches is player development. Butch has shown he can bring in the stars (not Alabama level but who does?) but I think for whatever reason player development is his Achilles heel.

Lol. Reality? Butch's record IS reality. You're the ones living in rainbow land.

Reality. That's funny.
First 4 years at respective schools (from the OP). But it's cool I don't expect the negas to comprehend either:
Overall record Dabo...... 29-19 Bowl record 1-3
Butch....... 30-21........ Bowl record 3-0
Hey btw your last sentence didn't include the words Muschamp, Vandy, or SC. Better re-calibrate.

First 4 years at respective schools (from the OP). But it's cool I don't expect the negas to comprehend either:
Overall record Dabo...... 29-19 Bowl record 1-3
Butch....... 30-21........ Bowl record 3-0
Hey btw your last sentence didn't include the words Muschamp, Vandy, or SC. Better re-calibrate.

How many head coaching gigs has Dabo had before Clemson? And Butch? So are we checking Butch's first four years at which school? Oh right, he never stays. Funny. Butch is mid major. He coaches mid major. He talks mid major. The only thing he does well is recruit. Although it isn't setting the world on fire right now. Maybe the recruits setting his mishandling of the roster four years and the Hurd situation looks bad on Butch. But, reality.

I can't wait to see your next batch of Butch excuses. You have all summer to get hyped up and also to prepare for the inevitable Butch collapse.

I'll stop bringing up horrible losses when Butch stops making it a yearly habit of being involved in them.

Reactions: 2 people
Butch only lost 1 game to Muschamp where he had more talent. And Butch vs Dooley is laughable.. the talent level on those teams wasn't even close to comparable. You sound like one of those guys that argues that because TN > VA tech > Pitt > Clem we should have been in the NC.

Pretty sure that Cinci team had just as many guys go pro as the Tennessee team.

That doesn't mean a comparison can't be made. It just might not be convenient

You can compare whoever you want. But when it's a dumb comparison don't be surprised/disappointed when people gently point out it's a dumb comparison. :hi:

serveimage

Reactions: 4 people
Biggest difference between CBJ and CDS. CDS ran a play with 6 seconds and no timeouts left for the win in a national championship game. CBJ would have been content to get in field goal range and play for overtime.

Reactions: 4 people
Butch is mid major. He coaches mid major. He talks mid major.
Va Tech, GA, FL, and NEB disagree. But keep spewing your same rhetoric over and over.. maybe it'll make you feel justified after a while.

Biggest difference between CBJ and CDS. CDS ran a play with 6 seconds and no timeouts left for the win in a national championship game. CBJ would have been content to get in field goal range and play for overtime.
Keep in mind that same aggressiveness wasn't exactly being praised when he called the option on 4&1 in the 1st quarter. Thankfully Bama only converted 2 first downs after that. Not taking away from Dabo, I think he's a top notch coach. And I believe Butch would have ran a play with 6 seconds there.

VN Store

Back