Current Roster Details

LWS, I have a question about eligibility for Bryson Eason. You have him listed as a senior with one year of eligibility. He came to campus in 2020 and everyone gets that year over because of COVID. According to the UT website he redshirted in 2021:

2021 – SOPHOMORE

Posted both his first career tackle for loss and QB hurry in three games during the 2021 season and earned a redshirt

Would he not have 2 more years of eligibility, 24 & 25? Not sure he would take it but it appears he would have the option unless I misunderstand the rules.

Thanks
I believe D. Bailey is in a similar situation to Eason. I have both of them listed as possible Super Seniors in 2025 in my records. Although both are technically seniors in 2024 as Larry has them listed.

Last edited:
LWS, I have a question about eligibility for Bryson Eason. You have him listed as a senior with one year of eligibility. He came to campus in 2020 and everyone gets that year over because of COVID. According to the UT website he redshirted in 2021:

2021 – SOPHOMORE

Posted both his first career tackle for loss and QB hurry in three games during the 2021 season and earned a redshirt

Would he not have 2 more years of eligibility, 24 & 25? Not sure he would take it but it appears he would have the option unless I misunderstand the rules.

Thanks

You're right in that he has that option. Norman-Lott and Bailey may also have that option as they were on rosters in 2020. The 2020 stuff has been handled differently for some players so I've struggled with keeping up with.

You're right in that he has that option. Norman-Lott and Bailey may also have that option as they were on rosters in 2020. The 2020 stuff has been handled differently for some players so I've struggled with keeping up with.
Hey Larry,

Eason and Bailey both used their redshirt at UT in 2021 and of course 2020 was the free Covid year. So both were on campus a full two years and used NO eligibility. That's why they can be Super Seniors in 2025.

Norman-Lott could have used his redshirt in 2020 at ASU but that was the free Covid year anyway. He played too many games in 2021, 2022 and 2023 to redshirt any of those years. So I don't think he has but 2024 left to complete his eligibility. Of coarse, I guess it's possible he could use a redshirt in 2024 if he became injured.

Reactions: Volnukem
Hey Larry,

Eason and Bailey both used their redshirt at UT in 2021 and of course 2020 was the free Covid year. So both were on campus a full two years and used NO eligibility. That's why they can be Super Seniors in 2025.

Norman-Lott could have used his redshirt in 2020 at ASU but that was the free Covid year anyway. He played too many games in 2021, 2022 and 2023 to redshirt any of those years. So I don't think he has but 2024 left to complete his eligibility. Of coarse, I guess it's possible he could use a redshirt in 2024 if he became injured.

Even if he could, I would NOT expect Lott to return. He came close to leaving this year.. thanks

Last edited:
Blue Chip Ratio report!

43 of our 84 scholarship players were 4 and 5 stars putting us at 51.19%

First time we have crossed the 50% threshold since 247 sports has been tracking this! (2015)

I would guess we haven't had this much blue chip talent since maybe Lane's season? Or all the way to Fulmer. In 2016 we sat at 49%.

Here's how much we've progressed since Heup got here.

2021 37.66%
2022 31.70%
2023 41.17%
2024 51. 19%

We keep getting stronger folks. The fact Heup did so well his first two years is remarkable. Shows the level at which he coaches. Us able to finish 8-4 with our injury issues and suspect WR and QB play was indicative of a more talented roster. The first two seasons we don't do as well with as many injuries or offensive struggles. However, had we been more talented we would have weathered the storm better. This coming season we look to have a much deeper more talented team capable of weathering those storms better. Not as well as UGA or OSU, but we are on our way. Our 2024 class was at 62% in the blue chip ratio and with George McIntyre it appears we will continue to recruit well above the CHAMPIONSHIP threshold.

Will be a new look Vols next year. In a lot of ways. Curious to see who grabs all these single digit jerseys available (seems like an unusual amount for typically coveted numbers):

O: 0, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9
D: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9

The last 5 guys on a roster rarely play and likely end up never contributing before moving on... every roster has guys like that..
So by that rationale, if you have 85 guys, you have 80 who can contribute. If you have 83, you only have 78 who can contribute. It’s simple math. You want a larger pool of players from whom you can count on to contribute.

Not to mention that the last guy you sign to get to 85 might end up being your best player. But if you don’t sign him because you’re already full, he’s someone else’s player and you’re playing an inferior one in his place.

The total scholarship number absolutely matters. That’s why the limit is in place.

Reactions: SmokinBob
So by that rationale, if you have 85 guys, you have 80 who can contribute. If you have 83, you only have 78 who can contribute. It’s simple math. You want a larger pool of players from whom you can count on to contribute.

Not to mention that the last guy you sign to get to 85 might end up being your best player. But if you don’t sign him because you’re already full, he’s someone else’s player and you’re playing an inferior one in his place.

The total scholarship number absolutely matters. That’s why the limit is in place.

ok... one can certainly view things that way. I won't quibble with it..

The last 5 guys on a roster rarely play and likely end up never contributing before moving on... every roster has guys like that..
But the last 5 guys might just be young and in the development cycle. Bottom line numbers matter because it is a yield process. Stars are nice but look at the exits from GA via the portal this year. Lots of 4 stars, some upwardly mobile with their hand out and some winked out the door.

This is where staff evaluations and blind luck come into play with a better yield closing ground, regardless of their HS exploits. Sign a bunch of early bloomers who get passed on the field in college and you lose MARGIN of talent along with experience with turnover. Hope that is what our lower exit numbers mean. TBD.

Reactions: SmokinBob
But the last 5 guys might just be young and in the development cycle. Bottom line numbers matter because it is a yield process. Stars are nice but look at the exits from GA via the portal this year. Lots of 4 stars, some upwardly mobile with their hand out and some winked out the door.

This is where staff evaluations and blind luck come into play with a better yield closing ground, regardless of their HS exploits. Sign a bunch of early bloomers who get passed on the field in college and you lose MARGIN of talent along with experience with turnover. Hope that is what our lower exit numbers mean. TBD.

my point is, 83 roster is not going to cost us any games in the short term as we navigate this period. there is always the benefit of development for every player you have on the roster. Although, with Portal / NIL, much of the development will be for other teams. :)

Will change date, in red, when changes to roster occur. This is scholarship players to track scholarships with no walk-ons

Any thoughts on who might portal after Spring practice?

Any thoughts on who might portal after Spring practice?

no. could be anyone with the way things are today. its free agency so the reasons a kid might leave are many and most don't make sense. Those kids that get homesick now have an easy path to leaving.. unpredictable.

Reactions: Weezer
no. could be anyone with the way things are today. its free agency so the reasons a kid might leave are many and most don't make sense. Those kids that get homesick now have an easy path to leaving.. unpredictable.
Almost hate to bring it up, looked and could not find Bishop on your roster. Did I overlook him? Scholly or PWO? Heard both last year.

Thanks

@LWSVOL - Eli Herring into the portal gets us to 83. Will be interesting to see who else might enter. Do you think we'll look for any positions in the portal?

@LWSVOL - Eli Herring into the portal gets us to 83. Will be interesting to see who else might enter. Do you think we'll look for any positions in the portal?

could but every portal player they bring in, someone has to leave... I suspect they want an opening before picking anyone up but I could be wrong on that.

Blue Chip Ratio report!

43 of our 84 scholarship players were 4 and 5 stars putting us at 51.19%

First time we have crossed the 50% threshold since 247 sports has been tracking this! (2015)

I would guess we haven't had this much blue chip talent since maybe Lane's season? Or all the way to Fulmer. In 2016 we sat at 49%.

Here's how much we've progressed since Heup got here.

2021 37.66%
2022 31.70%
2023 41.17%
2024 51. 19%

We keep getting stronger folks. The fact Heup did so well his first two years is remarkable. Shows the level at which he coaches. Us able to finish 8-4 with our injury issues and suspect WR and QB play was indicative of a more talented roster. The first two seasons we don't do as well with as many injuries or offensive struggles. However, had we been more talented we would have weathered the storm better. This coming season we look to have a much deeper more talented team capable of weathering those storms better. Not as well as UGA or OSU, but we are on our way. Our 2024 class was at 62% in the blue chip ratio and with George McIntyre it appears we will continue to recruit well above the CHAMPIONSHIP threshold.
This means that we could soon field a team 2 deep in 4/5 star players. We haven't ben in that situation for a while. Recruiting is getting a lot better and it will show in the records are the years go along.

This means that we could soon field a team 2 deep in 4/5 star players. We haven't ben in that situation for a while. Recruiting is getting a lot better and it will show in the records are the years go along.
I think last season showed we are trending that way.

9-4 with average QB play, subpar receiver play and a significant amount of injuries.

VN Store

Back