Current Roster Details

My apologies. I heard on 247 that they couldn’t rule on him until after the bowl. Obviously, they were wrong.

Since when does the NCAA do anything early?
Again, I’m just passing on what I heard from someone who is correct more than he’s wrong. It appears that it was filled a while back and clearance has been granted. The university and the players seem to be acting like clearance was granted.

I guess we will all find out if it’s true soon enough.

Updated roster based on recent updates. A look at 2024. I've added COMMITTED players after the freshmen. scroll down to see. Puts the roster at 80 players and we play with 82 next season.

I didn’t see Haddon on the chart… Please correct me if I’m wrong but Kamal Hadden got a RS in 2020 and played 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023… he should be eligible to get a covid year and be back if he chooses correct?

I didn’t see Haddon on the chart… Please correct me if I’m wrong but Kamal Hadden got a RS in 2020 and played 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023… he should be eligible to get a covid year and be back if he chooses correct?

Nope, he is out of eligibility. He didn't get a redshirt because his season was cancelled in Juco. I thought all year he would get another year but UT says no.

Updated roster based on recent updates. A look at 2024. I've added COMMITTED players after the freshmen. scroll down to see. Puts the roster at 80 players and we play with 82 next season.

Do we play with 82 or 83 next year? I thought we had to sacrifice two scholarships a year for the next 5 years. That would put us at 83 for the next five years.

Have Dayne Davis, Jackson Lampley, and Gabe Jeudy-Lally made their intentions known on whether or not they plan to return? Someone said VQ thought GJL might hang it up. Haven't heard anything about the other two.

Also, are we sure Bishop is scholarship? I was looking at 247's scholarship distribution and they don't list him.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Do we play with 82 or 83 next year? I thought we had to sacrifice two scholarships a year for the next 5 years. That would put us at 83 for the next five years.

Have Dayne Davis, Jackson Lampley, and Gabe Jeudy-Lally made their intentions known on whether or not they plan to return? Someone said VQ thought GJL might hang it up. Haven't heard anything about the other two.
We can play at any number. Just a matter of when we want to take the hit. They are going to try to go at 82 or 83. I think it was 12 over five years.

GJL is expected to leave. Other two expected back but not certain. I've never gotten anyone to say Bishop not on scholarship when I've asked. It does keep coming up.

Reactions: Weezer
We can play at any number. Just a matter of when we want to take the hit. They are going to try to go at 82 or 83. I think it was 12 over five years.

GJL is expected to leave. Other two expected back but not certain. I've never gotten anyone to say Bishop not on scholarship when I've asked. It does keep coming up.
Do you agree with the VQ rumor that Walker likely transfers in the Spring so he can grad transfer?

We had 25 commits last year but there’s only 15 left?

That has to be the biggest senior class we've had in years. Maybe a decade?
Yeah unless talent isn't there, I'd take average to above average seniors in a one year snapshot to a typical frosh coming in...especially in the trenches. With the number of OL/DL we signed this year, it should be a good learning year so all aren't thrown right into the fire...especially on OL where a even the best frosh get thrown around by seasoned stud DLs we face.

Nevermind I see what you did redshirts etc. gotcha
I almost wonder any more, what's the value of redshirting...unless you've got 2 deep stacked in a position and guys truly aren't ready. Gotta figure a typical RS frosh goes portal hunting after Y2 if they don't get PT after their RS season. Delicate balancing act, for sure for head coaches.

Yeah unless talent isn't there, I'd take average to above average seniors in a one year snapshot to a typical frosh coming in...especially in the trenches. With the number of OL/DL we signed this year, it should be a good learning year so all aren't thrown right into the fire...especially on OL where a even the best frosh get thrown around by seasoned stud DLs we face.
Pretty wild how it’s even better now. Post aged well.

Updated roster with players signed on 12/20/23

Larry, if we're at 83 now, and we're still pursuing players, we must expect some more players to be leaving. We're supposedly talking to Evan Stewart and AJ Harris in the portal (though if the reported asking price for Stewart is accurate, I don't see that happening), and to Dominic McKinley as well. Rumblings that Jeudy-Lally will be leaving, so that would be one spot. If Bishop isn't on scholarship, that would be two. Do you know if Dayne Davis and Jackson Lampley are definitely coming back? I haven't seen an announcement. I suppose if Bru were to decide to go pro, that would open up a spot as well. Personally, I hope he comes back. Wonder if anyone else is considering leaving? Or maybe we're just willing to go with a full 85 for the right guys?

Larry, if we're at 83 now, and we're still pursuing players, we must expect some more players to be leaving. We're supposedly talking to Evan Stewart and AJ Harris in the portal (though if the reported asking price for Stewart is accurate, I don't see that happening), and to Dominic McKinley as well. Rumblings that Jeudy-Lally will be leaving, so that would be one spot. If Bishop isn't on scholarship, that would be two. Do you know if Dayne Davis and Jackson Lampley are definitely coming back? I haven't seen an announcement. I suppose if Bru were to decide to go pro, that would open up a spot as well. Personally, I hope he comes back. Wonder if anyone else is considering leaving? Or maybe we're just willing to go with a full 85 for the right guys?

I think they will get to the 83 number at least. Won't be necessary until June to reach that one.

Lally is leaving. Lampley and Davis are not. McCoy don't know and won't decide until mid January.. They are not pushing hard on Stewart. Don't have door closed but he has baggage. Management problem with how hard he wants to work. (McCoy back, Stewart to Oregon)

I really don't see anyone else that I've heard even a bit about leaving..

Last edited:
I think they will get to the 83 number at least. Won't be necessary until June to reach that one.

Lally is leaving. Lampley and Davis are not. McCoy don't know and won't decide until mid January.. They are not pushing hard on Stewart. Don't have door closed but he has baggage. Management problem with how hard he wants to work.

I really don't see anyone else that I've heard even a bit about leaving..
So if Lally is leaving, and for the sake of argument, let's say Bishop isn't on scholarship, that's two spots. Yet we seem to be pursuing more than two players. Just makes me think that the coaches know there's going to be more attrition. Either now, or when the Spring portal opens. And I think there are still positions they'd take from the portal if the right players were to enter before it closes. Like OL.

Most people probably don't care, but roster building fascinates me. It's like a giant puzzle just waiting to be solved.

So if Lally is leaving, and for the sake of argument, let's say Bishop isn't on scholarship, that's two spots. Yet we seem to be pursuing more than two players. Just makes me think that the coaches know there's going to be more attrition. Either now, or when the Spring portal opens. And I think there are still positions they'd take from the portal if the right players were to enter before it closes. Like OL.

Most people probably don't care, but roster building fascinates me. It's like a giant puzzle just waiting to be solved.

I think some young WRs could move on. With Thornton, White and Brazzell you have 3 starters. If McCoy returns, that is the 4 and Heupel plays 4 more than others. So guys like Nimrod and Webb might say I need to go where I can play...

Based on UT’s Dec 2022 Early Signing Period announcement, I think Max Gilbert, Kicker, is a scholarship player. The announcement didn’t mention anything about Gilbert being a PWO.
Note Bishop was not included in this announcement, although I think UT posted it a few hours before news confirmed Bishop’s plans to attend UT.
Many thanks for pulling this info together!

Based on UT’s Dec 2022 Early Signing Period announcement, I think Max Gilbert, Kicker, is a scholarship player. The announcement didn’t mention anything about Gilbert being a PWO.
Note Bishop was not included in this announcement, although I think UT posted it a few hours before news confirmed Bishop’s plans to attend UT.
Many thanks for pulling this info together!

was that a UT announcement? heading doesn't seem to be UT??? Never heard Gilbert being on ship. Interesting list Thanks

was that a UT announcement? heading doesn't seem to be UT??? Never heard Gilbert being on ship. Interesting list Thanks
Yes. It was a .pdf file UT included in its Signing Day info posted on utsports.com. Below is a link to UT’s Signing Day info including the .pdf.
It’s possible Gilbert is a PWO. But I noticed when UT produced a similar list last week of 2024 signees, they specifically mentioned a couple of guys were PWOs.

Yes. It was a .pdf file UT included in its Signing Day info posted on utsports.com. Below is a link to UT’s Signing Day info including the .pdf.
It’s possible Gilbert is a PWO. But I noticed when UT produced a similar list last week of 2024 signees, they specifically mentioned a couple of guys were PWOs.

thank you for that...

Reactions: VolsSince78

I just found this. I haven't gotten a media guide in several years now so didn't realize this was in it.

VN Store

Back