Cuonzo v Barnes v Pearl

When are we going to stop talking about Martin and Pearl? Neither of them Coach here. Martin sucked out loud when he was at UT. That's why fans wanted him gone....plain and simple. He underachieved the entire time he was at UT and that includes his last team. That team should have been a solid 5 seed or better...getting into a play in game which took last second heroics to win then getting lucky draws to get you a couple more DOES NOT make him a good coach.

You give Martin the roster Barnes had this year and they wouldn't have won 10 games.....period....end of story.

It has nothing to do with race, religion, personality, or anything else.....the guy can't coach.

No agenda...no wanting Bruce back....nothing other than support for the current staff and team.....and a willingness to forget the previous jokers who tried to destroy our basketball program.

Never. Jerry Green, KO, Wade Houston, and Buzz are brought up fairly regularly. Devoe and Mears only occasionally and Wettig rarely. Stu Aberdeen usually gets a mention or two about every year.

RB is too old. I don't know what you think he is going to do over the next 2 years. Tennessee will be in the same position they are in today. Counzo took Tennessee to a sweet 16. Dumbace fans ran him out of town because he didn't kiss ace. Plain and simple!

Reactions: 2 people
RB is too old. I don't know what you think he is going to do over the next 2 years. Tennessee will be in the same position they are in today. Counzo took Tennessee to a sweet 16. Dumbace fans ran him out of town because he didn't kiss ace. Plain and simple!

Most of the best coaches out there are around Barnes's age. Roy, K, Pitino, Izzo, Boeheim.

Worst mistake Tennessee made is running Cuonzo out of town.He was going to make Tennessee an elite program. Dumbace fans!

Sensitive lightweight! Dean Smith and Mike Krzyzewski were burned in effigy by their respective STUDENT bodies. A little internet click site that ANY FANBASE could've voted multiple times "ran him out of town"? :lol: I actually give him more credit. Tennessee was a waystation for him and he jumped on the first train. I don't vilify him for that but two years of listening to butthurt kids whining about us making Daddy not love us anymore has long worn out it's novelty. :cray:

Worst mistake Tennessee made is running Cuonzo out of town.He was going to make Tennessee an elite program. Dumbace fans!

What was the path to being an elite program with the signees he had coming in and the guys he had leaving? You are talking about a team as bad as the ones DT and Barnes had and that is in year four. Also according to VQ , he had done very little on the recruiting trail with underclassmen.

Surely you are trolling when you mention "elite"?

Reactions: 1 person
I thought it was interesting to look at where they were. The knock on Cuonzo was that he couldn't coach offense. Well, his team's offense is way better than both Barnes's and Pearl's. Context matters, I'm sure, but there it is. And why doesn't Cuonzo get credit for having to go into that last year without one of the teams cogs, Trey Golden? And had Hubbs hurt most of the year. And he couldn't recruit yet he recruited at least two that went on to the NBA.

I've got no dog in the fight. UT has mismanaged itself since Dickey left. And I got disgusted once everyone started clamoring for Bruce back . . . that kind of sickened me, but I'm in the minority, I know.

I know nothing about his Cal recruiting but I know he brought in a class that last year that fit needs and one he recruited with one hand behind his back since boosters withheld planes and every coach in the country was telling any recruit that Cuonzo was about to get fired and our fan base was gonna run him out of town.

But again I was just looking at the fact, and I found them interesting. We'll see how it plays out over the next three or four years.

Reactions: 4 people
I thought it was interesting to look at where they were. The knock on Cuonzo was that he couldn't coach offense. Well, his team's offense is way better than both Barnes's and Pearl's. Context matters, I'm sure, but there it is. And why doesn't Cuonzo get credit for having to go into that last year without one of the teams cogs, Trey Golden? And had Hubbs hurt most of the year. And he couldn't recruit yet he recruited at least two that went on to the NBA.

I've got no dog in the fight. UT has mismanaged itself since Dickey left. And I got disgusted once everyone started clamoring for Bruce back . . . that kind of sickened me, but I'm in the minority, I know.

I know nothing about his Cal recruiting but I know he brought in a class that last year that fit needs and one he recruited with one hand behind his back since boosters withheld planes and every coach in the country was telling any recruit that Cuonzo was about to get fired and our fan base was gonna run him out of town.

But again I was just looking at the fact, and I found them interesting. We'll see how it plays out over the next three or four years.

Tell us more about boosters withholding planes.

After Cuonzo Martin left, he cited a lack of investment in the program. At the time, Dave Hart was not investing in anything. He was brought into repair Tennessee's broken finances. He did that, but at times he was too cheap. He would not give Martin what he wanted. He also appeared to lowball Michael White. Tennessee ended up with obvious cheat Donnie Tyndall. After his firing, we chose to invest a bit more and hired Rick Barnes.
Barnes and Cuonzo Martin seem to me to be very similar. Both are nice guy coaches who seem to underachieve with high level talent. However, Barnes seems committed to a fast pace style. Tennessee appears to be in good place with its Basketball program, but we could have avoided two losing seasons by keeping Martin.

I liked Pearl, and he well definately be back on top, 2 years at the most.

Martin just didn't fit in, didn't know how, and really didn't want too. he well drop a little each year to mediocre.

Barnes is UT's future, solid, in two years well be going toe to toe for SEC champs.

Reactions: 1 person
Rank 21: Cal
Rank 110: Tenn
Rank 209: Aub

Cal has a better offense than the other two teams as well.

2016 Pomeroy College Basketball Ratings

The Tennessee and Auburn coaches have how many total wins? Can't really compare a rookie to them can you. Cal might be a sweet 16 team this season. They are very similar to his last Vol team. Top 10 expectations based on talent but they have 10 loses and barely make the tournament. Sound familiar.

VN Store

Back